Reading With Dr. Seuss

onefishtwofish.jpg In honor of the birthday of Dr. Seuss (March 2, 1904), I dragged out two of my favorite Seuss books. One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish was a gift from my Nana on my 2nd birthday. The cover is tattered and worn – a sign of being re-read many, many times. I remember giggling as I read this book – laughing at the Yink who ‘likes to wink, he likes to drink. he likes to drink, and drink, and drink. The thing he likes to drink is ink.‘ And Zans who was adept at opening cans: ‘Have you a Zans for cans? You should.‘ The interesting thing about reading Seuss as an adult, is that I see the underlying message…in this book, he shows how the world is made up of all different kinds of creatures; creatures who don’t look like us, and are even different from each other (like the fish who can be black or blue or old or new or have a star, etc…). Seuss demonstrates how full and wonderful the world is with all these individuals in it. He gives kids an appreciation of being different and unique. What a great message!

mcelligotspool.jpgThe second book I pulled from my bookcase was McElligot’s Pool – which I got for my third birthday in 1963. Oh how I adored this book. The idea that a tiny pool might connect to the huge ocean and beyond just entranced me. In McElligot’s Pool, hope springs eternal:

Oh the sea is so full of a number of fish, If a fellow is patient, he might get his wish!

Once again, Seuss shows us a bigger message – to dream, to hope, to not let disappointment stop us.

Dr. Seuss was a wonderful, classic children’s author. His illustrations and magical rhyming words take children (and adults) into a world full of wonder and joy. Thankfully, I will never be too old to read Dr. Seuss!

• Julie on March 27, 2008 at 13:21

One Fish Two Fish is my favorite Dr. Seuss book. I never thought of it as having a message, but you’re absolutely right. My husband and I joke about the Zans every time we get out the can opener. Swishing for fish is fun too. 🙂

• Jeane on March 27, 2008 at 13:25

Love Dr. Seuss. I learned to read on them, and my three-year-old has a good pile of her own, now. I never saw Mr. Elligot’s pool before, though.

• Nicola on March 27, 2008 at 14:04

My son is reading ‘One Fish…” at the moment. We’ve always loved Seuss here too. My favourites from childhood are Hop on Pop and ABC. I read my copies to pieces as a kid.

• Jill on March 27, 2008 at 16:19

Seuss rocks. A revolutionary who was light years ahead of his time. To think his stuff has been banned!

• Laura on March 27, 2008 at 17:15

Oh I love “One Fish Two Fish”! Did you wish for fish with your ish wish dish? Did you happen to go for a walk in the park, and bring home someone named Clark? Fun! Thanks for sharing … !

1. Oh man. I love Dr. Suess! And so do my kids. I haven’t read McElligot’s Pool in years!! I think one of my favorites is the long-forgotten Bartholomew and the Oobleck! LOVED it!!

• Wendy on March 28, 2008 at 07:51

Julie: I never really thought about Seuss’ underlying message until I got older!

Jeane: I learned to read with Seuss too. I think McElliogot’s Pool is an old one – but it is wonderful if you can find a copy!

Nicola: Oh, I adored Hop on Pop as well!

Jill: I didn’t realize his books were banned – do you know which ones?!?!? That is criminal!

Laura: *laughs* Clark always gave me nightmares 🙂

Stephanie: I’d forgotten about Bartholomew and the Oobleck – awesome book. I think one of my favorite things about Seuss is the whacky names *laughing*

• katt on January 6, 2009 at 10:58

i like 1 fish 2 fish red fish blue fish!!!!! its totallt pimpin rokin awesome possum u seriusly dont even know