Mailbox Monday – September 15, 2008

I hope this week found lots of books arriving in your mailbox. Here’s what came to my home:

Tears of the Desert: A Memoir of Survival in Darfur, by Halima Bashir (with Damien Lewis). This arrived through Library Thing’s Early Reviewer Program and was released by Ballantine Books on September 9, 2008. This memoir is about how the war in Darfur impacted Bashir – a doctor in the Sudan. It is about ‘courage, hope, family and survival.

Resistance: A Woman’s Journal of Struggle and Defiance in Occupied France, by Agnes Humbert (released September 2, 2008 by Bloomsbury). I was expecting an Advance Reader’s Edition of this book, but instead got a beautiful finished hard cover. Thank you Bloomsbury!

Finally, I went on a bit of book buying spree because I had accrued $95 worth of Amazon credit. Here’s what arrived in my mailbox on Wednesday:

• Ice Road, by Gillian Slovo (a 2004 Orange Prize Nominee)
  • A Spell of Winter, by Helen Dunmore (1996 Orange Prize Winner)
  • Fugitive Pieces, by Anne Michaels (1997 Orange Prize Winner)
  • After Dark, by Haruki Murakmi
  • The Lover, by A.B. Yehoshua
  • The Secret Scripture, by Sebastian Barry (short listed for the 2008 Booker Prize)
  • Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset (Undset won the 1928 Nobel Prize for Literature)

Visit Marcia at The Printed Page today to see her new arrivals, and read the comments to find links to other reader’s Mailbox Monday posts.

• Nicola on September 15, 2008 at 09:33

I have Resistance in my pile too. It’s up for my next non-fiction book when I finish the one I’m currently reading. I think it’s going to be really good!

• Megan on September 15, 2008 at 15:31

Glad to see you’ll be reading Tears of the Desert, it’s really a *great* book…a difficult book to read at times, but so worthwile.

• Wendy on September 16, 2008 at 12:17

Nicola: It does look really good!

Megan: Oh, that is good to hear. I loved The Translator earlier this year…although it was also tough to read at times, so I have high hopes for this one.

• Bree on September 16, 2008 at 16:17

Resistance is on my list as well. Cant wait to hear what you have to say about it.

• Marcia on September 18, 2008 at 11:26

Hi Wendy~
    First chance I’ve had this week to visit your ‘Mailbox Monday’ selections.

I read ‘Tears of the Desert’ and thought it was wonderful and moving. I’m currently giving away my copy at Up For Grabs in support of Natasha at Maw Books who is Reading and Blogging for Darfur this month.

I just got my copy of ‘Resistance’ so it will make the ‘Mailbox’ next Monday.

• Wendy on September 19, 2008 at 07:17

Bree: It looks really good – some are comparing to Suite Francaise (only it is non fiction).

Marcia: It’s been a busy week! I keep hearing good things about Tears of the Desert…and Resistance as well.