January 1 – December 31, 2008
Kate at Kate’s Book Blog (and A Curious Singularity) has come up with the 2008 Short Story Challenge. And she’s made it flexible and individualized…AND she’s given it its own blog. So there you go. I’m in.
I’ve chosen option #5 – the custom option. And here is my plan:
I. Read six (6) individual short stories by authors I have not read before and which I will choose as I go along.
2. The Overcoat, by Nikolai Gogol (finished March 1, 2008; rated 4/5; read my review)
II. Read a minimum of three (3) collections chosen from these books:
2. The Country of Pointed Firs and Selected Short Fiction, by Sarah Orne Jewett (let it be noted that I have already read The Country of Pointed Firs and won’t re-read it, but all the other stories in this collection are up for grabs)
3. Open Secrets, by Alice Munro
4. Tooth and Claw, by T.C. Boyle
5. A Private State, by Charlotte Bacon
6. Friend of My Youth, by Alice Munro
7. All Aunt Hager’s Children, by Edward P. Jones
I reserve the right to change the titles or add to them…but, I promise you I will read six (6) individual shorts, and three (3) collections!