January 1, 2008 – December 31, 2008
UPDATED: October 24, 2008 – This challenge is COMPLETE! Yay! Thank you Vasilly for hosting … I read some fantastic books. My favorite of the challenge was Elizabeth McCracken’s memoir: An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination – stunning and emotional with amazing writing. I’ll have to read one of her novels now!
Vasilly over at 1330V is hosting a memoir/biography/autobiography challenge for 2008. She’s allowing participants to pick the number and type of books they want to read (as long as they meet the definition of either memoir, biography or autobiography). She has set up the In Their Shoes Group Blog for all participants to post reviews. And you have until February 1, 2008 to sign up.
I have a number of books that fit the criteria for this challenge. Some of them were on my alternates list for the Non Fiction Five Challenge – but I didn’t get to them, so I’ve moved them to this challenge instead! I am committing to at least FOUR books from this list:
1. Tender at the Bone, by Ruth Rechl
2. The Zookeeper’s Wife, by Diane Ackerman (COMPLETED May 12, 2008; rated 4/5; read my review)
3. Reading Lolita in Tehran, by Azar Nafisi
4. Laughing Without An Accent, by Firoozeh Dumas (COMPLETED May 18, 2008; rated 4/5; read my review)
5. A Thousand Days in Tuscany, by Marlena de Blasi
6. Angela’s Ashes, by Frank McCourt
7. Steinbeck: A Life in Letters, by John Steinbeck (edited by Elaine Steinbeck and Robert Wallsten)
8. Have You Found Her: A Memoir, by Janice Erlbaum (COMPLETED January 14, 2008; rated 4/5; read my review)
9. An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination, by Elizabeth McCracken (COMPLETED October 24, 2008; rated 5/5; read my review)