Friday Finds – December 5, 2008

December 5, 2008

As usual, the lit bloggers have tempted me with their reviews. Here is what I found this week to add to my wish list:

Turtle Valley, by Gail Anderson-Dargatz as featured on Kailana’s blog The Written World. Kailana writes: ‘I always like the history of family. The secrets that are hiding in the closet or the mysteries that have never been solved. This book deals a lot with this idea, which is a lot of the reason why I liked it so much.‘ I like stories about family secrets too…so I think this one will eventually find its way to my TBR pile.

The Painted Veil, by W. Somerset Maugham as featured on Chris’ blog Book-A-Rama.  I have yet to read a Maugham novel and I think maybe it is time I do. The Painted Veil sounds like a good place to start. Chris writes: ‘Told entirely from Kitty’s point of view, it’s a character study of one woman’s search for her true self after reality is forced upon her.‘ I’ve added it to my wish list.

What book is tempting you? To see what other readers are wishing for and to leave a link to your post visit Jenn’s post today under Friday Finds.

• Kathy on December 5, 2008 at 09:11

Both of those books sound good.

1. Yes, the Painted Veil is a MUST READ!

• Kailana on December 5, 2008 at 11:17

Turtle Valley was really good! You might want to read her other book first, The Cure for Death by Lightning, just because the mother to the main character in Turtle Valley is the main character in that one. I don’t know whether it helps or not because I didn’t read them in the correct order myself.

• Darlene on December 5, 2008 at 11:59

I loved Turtle Valley. It’s a really good book.

• Kim on December 6, 2008 at 00:22

I agree, both books look good! I just now got my Friday Finds up too–this time of year is just so busy. 🙂
    *smiles*
    Kim

• JoAnn on December 6, 2008 at 07:28

I loved The Painted Veil! Here’s where I wrote about it:

• Chris on December 6, 2008 at 17:07

I’m glad I tempted you!

• Wendy on December 7, 2008 at 11:23

Kathy: I agree!

Katherine: Good to hear you liked that book as well *makes note to self to buy the book SOON*

Kailana: I am so bad about reading books in order..I’ll have to add the first one to my wish list as well 🙂

Darlene: Good to hear!

Kim: I almost didn’t post a Friday Finds this week because I feel so out of control busy!

Joanne: Terrific review! And I like how you included the poem from which the title evolved 🙂

Chris: I love finding new books…so thank you!