January 1 – December 31, 2009
I am very carefully choosing my time-limited challenges for 2009. Frances from Nonsuch Book is hosting Lost in Translation – a challenge designed for participants to read six (6) books in translation. Frances has created a dedicated page for this challenge here.
I found a couple of interesting articles with ideas for books:
- Long List for Best Translated Fiction at Three Percent – this site has a lot of great information and reviews of books in translation.
- The Prizewinners International Edition at The Millions
I will be posting my book list as I go – I have learned that to be successful I must be flexible! Below is a sampling of some books in translation already on my TBR shelf:
- Out Stealing Horses, by Per Petterson (translated from the Norwegian by Anne Born) – COMPLETED January 6, 2009; rated 5/5; read my review.
- The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery (translated from the French by Alison Anderson) – COMPLETED July 18, 2009; rated 4.5/5; read my review.
- The Passport, by Herta Muller (translated from the German by Martin Chalmers) – COMPLETED November 24, 2009; rated 5/5; read my review.
- Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset (translated from the Norwegian by Tina Nunnally) – COMPLETED December 20, 2009; rated 4.5/5; read my review of The Wreath, The Wife, and The Cross.
- Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, by Marjane Satrapi (translated from the French) – COMPLETED December 27, 2009; rated 4/5; read my review.
- Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return, by Marjane Satrapi (translated from the French) – COMPLETED December 28, 2009; rated 4.5/5; read my review.
- Fire in the Blood, by Irene Nemirovsky (translated from the French by Sandra Smith) – COMPLETED December 29, 2009; rated 5/5; read my review.