January 1 – December 31, 2009
Although I failed to complete the 2008 version of this challenge, I have decided to give it another go in 2009 since there are some changes that make this one more easily attainable. Estella writes:
We’re making the challenge EVEN EASIER this year! I know, we didn’t think it was possible either! Instead of hosting a list of “dangerous reads” this year is all about you.
To participate, simply read 12 books you deem “dangerous.” between January 1st and December 31st 2009. They may be banned or challenged books, new-to-you genres, books that seem to inhabit a permanent space on your stacks, or authors you’re afraid of.
I’ll be making my list as I go:
- After the Floods, by Bruce Henricksen (Magical Realism) – COMPLETED January 18, 2009; rated 3.5/5; read my review.
- The Islands of Divine Music, by John Addiego (Novel in Short Stories/Magical Realism) – COMPLETED March 1, 2009; rated 3/5; read my review.
- Offshore, by Penelope Fitzgerald (Award Winner) – COMPLETED March 27, 2009; rated 3.5/5; read my review.
- The Mechanics of Falling, by Catherine Brady (Collection of short stories/new to me author) – COMPLETED March 30, 2009; rated 5/5; read my review.
- Midnight’s Children, by Salman Rushdie (Literary Classic and Magical Realism) – COMPLETED May 30, 2009; rated 3/5; read my review.
- The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, by Kate Summerscale (Non Fiction – True Crime) – COMPLETED June 7, 2009; rated 4.5/5; read my review.
- The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery (Book in Translation – philosophy) – COMPLETED July 18, 2009; rated 4.5/5; read my review.
- A Bend in the River by V. S. Naipaul (Nobel Laureate) – COMPLETED October 3, 2009; rated 1/5; read my review.
- Sometimes We’re Always Real Same-Same, by Mattox Roesch (YA) – COMPLETED October 11, 2009; rated 3.5/5; read my review.
- The Passport, by Herta Muller (Nobel Laureate, Book in Translation and Surrealism) – COMPLETED November 24, 2009; rated 5/5; read my review.
- Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset (Chunkster with more than 1000 pages) – COMPLETED December 20, 2009; rated 4.5/5; read my review of The Wreath, The Wife, and The Cross.
- Persepolis and Persepolis II by Marjane Satrapi (Graphic novel/memoir) – COMPLETED December 28, 2009; rated 4/5 and 4.5/5; read my review of Persepolis, read my review of Persepolis 2.