Mailbox Monday – December 22, 2008

mailboxmonday Another Monday and a lot more books have found their way into my home this week.

scentoforanges The Scent of Oranges, by Joan Zawatzky arrived from Garev Publishing International. This beautiful hard cover book was published in the United States in October of this year. Set in South Africa, it is dubbed as “a suspenseful account of murder and love interlaced with ancestral sprirts.‘ Zawatzky was born in South Africa, but now resides in Australia. The Scent of Oranges is her first book and was short listed for the Australian Books Alive Program in 2007.

buffalolockjaw Buffalo Lockjaw, by Greg Ames came to me as an Advance Reader’s Edition from Hyperion. This is Ames’ first novel, due for release in March 2009. From the back cover: ‘Darkly comic, with an ingenuously subversive humor, Buffalo Lockjaw is a rare find: Adebut novel that caputres the zeitgeist while also capturing readers’ hearts.

mightyqueens The Mighty Queens of Freeville: A Mother, A Daughter, and the People Who Raised Them, by Amy Dickinson also came from Hyperion. Due for release in February 2009, this memoir is “a story about love and loss, parents, daughts, aunts, fathers, pets, and life from the mundane to the ridiculous to the quietly heartbreaking” [Peter Sagal, host of NPR’s “Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!”].

gritfortheoyster Grit for the Oyster: 250 Pearls of Wisdom For Aspiring Writers was a book I snagged over at Savvy Verse and Wit during Serena’s giveaway.  Visit this post to read her thoughts about the book and an interview with the authors. Thanks, Serena! I am looking forward to reading through this little book!

I also got a couple of books for free using my points over at Amazon.com:

whitetiger The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga. This novel won the 2008 Booker Prize, so I had to get it in order to keep working towards reading all the Booker winners.

persepolisboxedset Persepolis Boxed Set (includes Persepolis and Persepolis 2), by Marjane Satrapi. I’ve wanted to read these graphic novels for some time, and Dewey’s Books Reading Challenge prompted me to finally get them onto the shelf.

What arrived at YOUR house this week? Stop by The Printed Page to read  Marcia’s post for today and leave her a link to your post.

• Kathy on December 22, 2008 at 08:03

You got some good looking books last week – I’d love to read The Scent of Oranges. Can’t wait to see what you think of The White Tiger.

1. You got a great bunch of books. I’m glad you got Grit for Oyster. I hope you enjoy it.

2. Wow, it looks like you got some really good books. The Scent of Oranges looks interesting. I want to read The White Tiger and Peresepolis as well.

• Sandra on December 22, 2008 at 10:00

Nice selection. The Scent of Oranges sounds like something I’d enjoy. I liked The White Tiger very much and I received The Mighty Queens too. I look forward to your thoughts on The White Tiger especially.

• Wendi on December 22, 2008 at 10:26

The Scent of Oranges does sound good. I love the cover on it as well! Here’s my Mailbox!

🙂 Wendi

3. Happy reading! Hope you have lots of time over christmas!

4. Scent of Oranges sounds really good! I’ll be watching for your review of that one. Just wanted to let you know that I received Nefertiti in the mail. Thanks so much again for a great contest!!

5. I used gift cards I had at Amazon to buy books for gifts this year. I have a fair amount of books this week.

• Wendy on December 22, 2008 at 17:02

Kathy: I was really interesting in The Scent of Oranges when it arrived…and of course, The White Tiger is a must read having just won the Booker…I’ll be reading that next month for a book club read.

Serena: Thank you again!!!

Amy: The hardest part is deciding which one to read first! They all look so inviting 🙂

Sandra: I’ll be reading and reviewing the White Tiger in January…so stay tuned!

Wendi: *laughing* The cover is actually one of the reasons I requested it!

Seachanges: Thanks! I unfortunately don’t have much time off of work…but I drag my books everywhere and read where I can!

Samantha: So glad you got Nefertiti!!! ENJOY! I’ll look forward to your review 🙂

Callista: Good use of gift cards 🙂 I love shopping with my points!

• Alyce on December 22, 2008 at 20:49

What a great batch of books!

• Anna on December 23, 2008 at 11:15

What a great week! Happy reading!

• Wendy on December 28, 2008 at 15:17

Alyce: I agree – they look wonderful to me!

Anna: Thanks! You too 🙂