January 1 – December 31, 2009
UPDATE: January 3, 2009: I have now added a Mr. Linky to this post. Please use this to sign up for the challenge. If you have a blog, please provide a link to your post about the challenge. If you do not have a blog, simply type in your name and leave the http:// address blank. For those of you who have already signed up by leaving a comment, I’ve added you to the Mr. Linky already!
Once again I am hosting a year of mini-challenges through my Yahoo Group: A Novel Challenge. I would love for you to join the group, but you do not have to be a member of A Novel Challenge Yahoo Group in order to participate. Here are the rules:
- Complete all 12 mini-challenges between January 1st and December 31st, 2009.
- Challenges can be completed in any order.
- Overlaps are allowed.
- IF you are a member of the Yahoo group, you do not need a blog to participate. IF you are NOT a member of the Yahoo group, you will need a blog.
- Sign up by either joining the Novel Challenge Yahoo group OR leave me a comment on this post.
- Have fun! Challenge yourself to do something literary every month of the year!
Here are the 12 challenges:
- Read a collection of short stories and either blog about it, OR tell the group about what you read.
- Read a play. Blog about it, OR tell the group about your experience.
- Read a nonfiction book; write a review on your blog or post it to the group.
- Read 2 essays from the same collection; write a review on your blog or tell the group about what you read.
- Go to a book event; blog about it or tell the group about it.
- Borrow a library book, read it and review it on your blog (or tell the group about it).
- Read a book by a new to you author. Do a little research on the author…do they have a blog? How many books have they written? Have they won any prizes? Where do they live? etc… Blog about the book you read and the author OR tell the group about them.
- Make a donation. You can either donate to an organization that supports reading OR make a physical donation of a book (or books) to ANYONE. Blog about it or tell the group what you did.
- Promote literacy. This is wide open – use your imagination. You could give a child a book, or read a book to someone who cannot read, or volunteer at an event which promotes literacy, or donate to your local library, or write something on your blog with a link to a group which promotes literacy, or anything in between. The only rule with this one is that you must PROMOTE literacy in some way…
- Participate in a buddy read or Group discussion. This can be a face to face group, an on-line group or a one on one discussion with a friend who read the same book. Either way, blog about your experience or share with the group. Did the discussion give you greater appreciation or insight into what you read?
- Read a book outside your comfort level or from a genre you don’t normally read. Blog about it, or tell the group about it.
- Read a classic (defined as anything published before 1970). Tell us why it fits the category of being a classic. Write a review or tell the group about the book.