Forgive my Absence For A Few Days…

wendybousar0001…I am feeling sad. My dog, Caribou, is quite ill right now. She is almost 11 years old (February 15 is her birthday), and has been my constant companion since I brought her home in 1998 at 7 weeks old. Caribou is struggling with pain right now, and although the medications we started yesterday seem to be helping, she is not herself. Her diagnosis is uncertain because I have decided to not do any invasive tests right now – I am hoping for the best. Your good thoughts and prayers would be much appreciated over the next few days while I struggle to decide how best to help my girl.

Most people who visit this blog probably have no idea why I picked such a strange name for a book blog. Well, Caribou is a special dog and so I wanted to share her with all of you. She is a certified Search and Rescue dog in 3 disciplines (air scent, water cadaver and land cadaver) and has been my partner on searches all over the state until she retired a few years ago due to arthritis. She also introduced me to my husband, Kip – I guess she knew I needed him! She is intuitive, loyal and has given me much more than I could ever give her.

On another note, several of you have recognized my blog with awards in the last few days – so I want to collectively thank you for that honor. I truly appreciate all of the many awards, and all of your comments (which I promise to respond to when I can concentrate).

1. Hang in there! My basset hound Millie and I will be sending all kinds of warm thoughts for improved health and a waggly tail.

2. I’m so sorry to hear that Caribou is not doing well! I will keep her (and you) in my thoughts!

3. I hope she feels better! A few years ago a beloved family dog had some health problems, so I know how worrying health problems can be. I hope everything works out OK for you and Caribou.

4. I’ll be thinking of you both over the next few days… I hope Caribou gets better soon. She sounds like an amazing dog/companion/friend.

5. Oh no, I hope everything works out for the best for you and your dog, she sounds amazing!

6. I’m sorry Caribou is ill – I hope she gets better soon!

• Kathy on January 8, 2009 at 14:17

I totally understand why you named your blog after Caribou. I’m sure to see that she’s ill. It is heart wrenching when a wonderful pet is not well. I’ll be thinking and praying for you.

• Diane on January 8, 2009 at 15:03

Sending HUGS your way to you and Caribou.

7. Thinking of both you and Caribou, Wendy. My dog Gypsy is about Caribou’s age, and we’ve been together nine years. I can imagine how this must be for you. Take care.

• Eva on January 8, 2009 at 15:11

I’m so sorry. 🙁 I hope that they can make her feel better!

8. I’m praying for Caribou, Wendy!

• sheri on January 8, 2009 at 15:30

My heart and prayers are with you and Caribou. I’m sure your best friend will be up and around in no time! I’m keeping the most positive thoughts!

Hugs

• Dana on January 8, 2009 at 15:41

I’m so sorry Caribou. Shepherds are such amazing, special family members. I will pray that Caribou feels better and that you have more time with her.

• Lezlie on January 8, 2009 at 15:44

I sent good thoughts and prayers to you and Caribou. And so do Skye and Max! I hope she’s feeling better soon!

Lezlie

9. I am so sorry that Caribou is not doing well. Enjoy this time with him and love him. Last month I had to put my cat of 17 years to sleep. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make. As time has gone by I realize more that it was the best decision for her. All my furries and I send you and Caribou our best thoughts.

• Alyce on January 8, 2009 at 16:02

I am so sorry to hear that your dog Caribou is not feeling well. I am fairly new to your blog, and had wondered about the name. She sounds like an amazing dog! I hope that she feels better soon!

• Lexi on January 8, 2009 at 16:42

Thinking of you and Caribou!

• Megan on January 8, 2009 at 16:44

Sorry to hear about Caribou. =(

Hope she takes a turn for the better soon. You’ll both be in my prayers.

• carolyn on January 8, 2009 at 16:52

Best wishes to you and Caribou, Wendy.

10. Oh, my heart goes out to you. I’ve got two geriatric cats; I’m going to be in your place all too soon (especially as one is chronically ill).

We’re thinking about you over at Win a Book. Take care of yourself and Caribou.

• Kelly on January 8, 2009 at 16:59

Best wishes for you and Caribou.

• Cheryl on January 8, 2009 at 17:06

*Hugs*, Wendy, and *scritches*, Caribou.

11. My heart is with you and Caribou in this difficult time. She is a beautiful dog and your banner makes me smile each time I visit. You will both be in my prayers tonight.

12. Your post broke my heart. I can feel how much Caribou means to you and I’m sending positive thoughts and many prayers your way!!

13. Oh Wendy. 🙁 I’ll think good thoughts for the both of you.

14. Oh no Wendy, I’m so sorry Caribou is ill. My heart is hurting for you. It’s so hard to see our pets ill. Many prayers going out for Caribou to get past this illness.

15. (((Wendy)))
    (((Caribou)))

16. I’m so sorry – you and Caribou will be in my prayers.

• JoAnn on January 9, 2009 at 03:27

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way

• J.G. on January 9, 2009 at 04:51

Good thoughts and prayers to you both.

17. I’m so sorry to hear about Caribou, you are both in my prayers. I pray for a quick recovery! That’s such a great friend you have there!

18. I’m so sorry, Wendy. My prayers are with you two.

19. Aw, that’s so sad! My 12 year old Shepherd mix Hendrix) is going blind. I’m dreading the day when she’ll be too disabled to function. Why can’t they live as long as we do? It’s just not fair…

Give Caribou a hug for me!

• Wendy on January 9, 2009 at 09:22

I would like to respond individually to each and every one of your comments – but I am simply overwhelmed with the response! You cannot know how much it helps to read what you have written – your kind thoughts, words of comfort, knowing you have us in your prayers. Thank you SO MUCH.

Caribou seems to be responding well to the pain medications which puts my heart at ease. She seems content to lay on her dog bed and have her ears rubbed. As long as she can see me and Kip, she seems to be able to rest. Last night she had a little burst of energy and played with her toys for a short time. I am hoping that is a positive sign that she is feeling better.

Again, thank you for your support and warm thoughts…I’ll keep you all posted.

20. I am sorry to hear about your dog, but I am glad to hear she is responding to the pain medicine. When my dog was sick, it was the worst decision in the world on what to do for her, so I was actually very happy when she pretty much made the decision for me. I still wish there were some miracle pills, though! Here’s hoping everything works out for you. I still mind not having a dog and it has been over a year now.

• Jeane on January 9, 2009 at 10:44

So sorry to hear that Caribou is unwell. She sounds like a wonderful dog. I hope she recovers soon.

21. I’m really sorry to hear about Caribou. Give her ears a rub for me!

I love your blog, so I’ve just nominated you for an award as well!

• Marcia on January 9, 2009 at 11:26

I hope you all are doing better. It’s difficult when one family member is suffering. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

• Anna on January 9, 2009 at 11:31

Sorry to hear about Caribou. Sending good thoughts your way… ((HUGS))

• Teddy on January 9, 2009 at 13:55

That is so wonderful that she played with her toys some last night. I have been thinking and praying non-stop since you told me.

Speaking of award, I just gave you another. Please don’t worry about responding to any of us right now. You just enjoy every moment you have left with your precious son!

Here is the link to the Premio Dardas Award:

• Becca on January 9, 2009 at 16:19

My two furry babies and I send good thoughts to you and Caribou. Hope she’s feeling better!

• Karen on January 9, 2009 at 16:41

My thoughts are with you too – I know how precious animals can be in our lives.

• Lynda on January 9, 2009 at 17:02

Sending you and Caribou lots of warm thoughts and well wishes.
    My two dogs Amy and Spike send thier loving thoughts too – woof.

• Sari on January 9, 2009 at 18:37

Wendy,
    I am so sorry for you and Caribou. I will keep both of you in my thoughts. Our fur-babies touch us just as if they were our real babies. Hugs to you!

Sari

• Darby Lohrding on January 9, 2009 at 19:37

I love the picture of the two of you!!! Good gosh, I about started crying just reading your post. We lost our 17 yr old German Shorthair pointer in May 08, and currently our 15 yr old German Shorthair has her good days and bad days….we have 3 other dogs and one cat and I’ll spare you the details. Just know that my heart is there for you and we will all pray for God’s guidance along with Caribou’s comfort!
    Big Sloppy Dog Kisses/Hugs!
    Darby
    darbyscloset at yahoo dot com

• Lisa on January 9, 2009 at 20:03

I’m sorry to hear this, Wendy. I hope she’s feeling better soon.

Scout sends doggie love.

22. I’m sorry to hear that Caribou is not well. I hope she improves soon. I’m thinking of you both.

• Faith (From Mostly Books) on January 10, 2009 at 03:49

They are our babies, our companions, our best friends and it affects us like no other when they are sick. Sending you and Caribou my well wishes and prayers.

Faith (Max and Gunner too – My fur babies)