Contest Open April 27 – May 5, 2009
Thanks to Miriam at Little Brown and Company, I am thrilled to be able to offer a giveaway of THREE of Joanna Scott’s novels. I recently read her latest book Follow me (read my review) and can recommend it. The other two books are on my TBR pile and I hope to get to them soon. A brief synopsis of each book as follows:
Follow Me (published April 2009)
On a summer day in 1946 Sally Werner, the precocious young daughter of hardscrabble Pennsylvania farmers, secretly accepts her cousin’s invitation to ride his new motorcycle. Like so much of what follows in Sally’s life, it’s an impulsive decision with dramatic and far-reaching consequences. Soon she abandons her home to begin a daring journey of self-creation, the truth of which she entrusts only with her granddaughter and namesake, six decades later. But when young Sally’s father–a man she has never known–enters her life and offers another story altogether, she must uncover the truth of her grandmother’s secret history. – Read more on the Publisher’s website
To read reviews of this book, visit blogs touring the book on April 27th. All tour blogs are listed here.
Liberation (published November 2005)
Adriana Nardi is only 10 years old when Allied forces occupy her lush island home during World War II, plaguing the quiet Italian village with violence and uncertainty. Amdu is a Senegalese soldier who abandons his comrades and befriends Adriana after witnessing an unspeakable act that has far-reaching repercussions.
Decades later, on a commuter train bound for Penn Station, 60-year-old Adriana revisits her memories of the war and her doomed relationship with Amdu, even as a present crisis threatens her life. – Read more on the Publisher’s website
Tourmaline (published October 2002)
In 1956, extravagant, debt-ridden Murray Murdoch takes his wife and four young sons on a vacation to Elba, where he becomes convinced that he can profit from the island’s abundant deposits of semiprecious gems. When the summer comes to an end and Murray still hasn’t found the valuable tourmaline that he’s looking for, the Murdochs decide to postpone their departure indefinitely. Their idyllic existence is shattered when a mysterious local girl goes missing and the community begins to suspect that the “investor from the United States” is somehow involved. The story is told by Ollie, the youngest of the four boys, who was five when the family arrived on the island and is 50 now.
A little about Joanna Scott (from the Publisher’s website):
Joanna Scott is the author of four novels, including 1997 Pulitzer Prize finalist The Manikin, and a short story collection, Various Antidotes, which was a finalist for the 1995 PEN/Faulkner Award. She has received a MacArthur Fellowship and a Lannan Award. She lives in Rochester, New York.
To enter this contest:
- Contest is open ONLY to U.S. and Canada mailing addresses (no PO boxes please).
- Leave me a comment on this post by May 5th at 11:00 pm PST. Please let me know if you have already read any of the books, and I will make sure you don’t get that book in the drawing. Otherwise I will be using Random.org to pick THREE winners in the order that the books appear above.
- I will post the winners to my blog AND email each one – so please make sure that you leave a valid email in the comment form (no need to leave your email in the body of the comment if you have left it in the correct spot on the form). Winners will have FIVE days to email me their snail mail address.
- PLEASE – if you have entered this contest and then win the book through another site, let me know so I can withdraw your name from THIS contest! THANK YOU!
- Miriam will be mailing out Tourmaline and Liberation directly (finished copies)
- I will be mailing an Advance Reader’s Edition of Follow Me