Contest open May 3 – 18, 2009
Thanks to the wonderful people at Hachette Books, I have FIVE trade paperback editions of Testimony to give away here on my blog. I read this book in October last year and found it compelling and provocative (read my review).Testimony is perfect for reading groups.
About the book (from the Hachette website):
At a New England boarding school, a sex scandal is about to break. Even more shocking than the sexual acts themselves is the fact that they were caught on videotape. A Pandora’s box of revelations, the tape triggers a chorus of voices–those of the men, women, teenagers, and parents involved in the scandal–that details the ways in which lives can be derailed or destroyed in one foolish moment.
Writing with a pace and intensity surpassing even her own greatest work, Anita Shreve delivers in TESTIMONY a gripping emotional drama with the impact of a thriller. No one more compellingly explores the dark impulses that sway the lives of seeming innocents, the needs and fears that drive ordinary men and women into intolerable dilemmas, and the ways in which our best intentions can lead to our worst transgressions.
About the author (from the Hachette website):
ANITA SHREVE began writing fiction while working as a high school teacher. One of her first published stories, “Past the Island, Drifting,” was awarded an O. Henry Prize in 1975. Shreve traveled to Africa, and spent three years in Kenya, writing articles that appeared in magazines such as Quest, US, and Newsweek. Back in the United States, she turned to raising her children and writing freelance articles for magazines. Shreve later expanded two of these articles — both published in the New York Times Magazine — into the nonfiction books Remaking Motherhood and Women Together, Women Alone. At the same time Shreve also began working on her first novel, Eden Close. With its publication in 1989, she gave up journalism for writing fiction full time, thrilled, as she says, with “the rush of freedom that I could make it up.”
Since Eden Close Anita Shreve has written eleven other novels. In 1998 Shreve received the PEN/L. L. Winship Award and the New England Book Award for fiction.
How to Win a Copy of Testimony by Anita Shreve:
- Winners restricted to residents of the US and Canada. Hachette cannot mail to PO Boxes.
- ONE Entry per person please.
- Leave me a comment on this post no later than 11:00 PM PST on May 18, 2009.
- I will select FIVE winners using Random.org on May 19th, and will post those winners’ names to my blog. I will also email each winner, so make sure you leave a CORRECT email in the comment form (you do not need to leave your email in the body of the comment – just enter it on the correct line in the form). Winners will have FIVE days to respond to the email and provide me with their snail mail address.
- PLEASE – if you win this book through a contest on another site, let me know so that I can withdraw your name from THIS contest. THANK YOU!
- All books will be sent directly from Hachette.