Mailbox Monday – May 11, 2009

mailboxMonday1

Mailbox Monday (hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page)

jantsens-gift Jantsen’s Gift by Pam Cope (with Aimee Molloy) arrived from Anna at Hachette as a finished hard cover copy. When I read about this book, I knew I would want to read it. The book is nonfiction, a memoir of sorts, but with a distinctly positive message. When Pam Cope lost her 15 year old son from an undiagnosed heart ailment, she turned her grief toward helping others…founding the Touch A Life Foundation in 2000 which provides shelter for homeless children in Vietnam. Jantsen’s Gift is the story of how one woman used her personal tragedy to rescue others. Do you want an autographed copy of this book? Simply donate $50 to the Touch A Life Foundation to get your gift. Read more about Pam Cope from this article at the New York Times. Learn more about Jantsen’s Gift at the Hachette website.

perfection Perfection by Julie Metz arrived as an Advance Readers Edition from Hyperion (Voice) through a Shelf Awareness offer. This is Metz’s memoir about “coming to terms with painful truths, of rebuilding both a life and an identity after betrayal and widowhood. Ultimately, it is a story of rebirth and happiness – if not perfection.” Do you love this cover? Metz designed it herself! To learn more about the book visit Every Woman’s Voice.

burntshadows Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie arrived as an Advance Readers Edition from Picador. I was so excited to get this one as it was recently short listed for the 2009 Orange Prize. The novel is initially set in Nagasaki as the bomb is about to fall and goes on to span nearly sixty years, following three generations from Delhi to Pakistan to New York and finally Afghanistan after 9/11. Burnt Shadows has been described as brilliant, ambitious and epic. To read more about the novel, visit Picador. Read an excerpt here.

1. I got Perfection last week and couldn’t resist starting it. It’s very good but it’s a “galley” I think in the true sense – the pages keep falling out!

• Teddy on May 10, 2009 at 21:28

You are so lucky Wendy. I tried to get Burnt Shadows via Shelf Awareness but got an email that ARC were all gone. Oh well, it was really nice that they sent out notices. I often don’t hear anything.

2. I’m really looking forward to your opinions on Burnt Shadows – I loved parts of it, but found other bits a bit too far fetched. I think you’ll enjoy it though.

• Kaye on May 11, 2009 at 03:29

Burnt Shadows looks so good. I tried to get that one also and got the dreaded e mail, sorry we ran out. I hope you enjoy it and I’m looking forward to your thoughts. My mailbox is here

• Kathy on May 11, 2009 at 04:02

Perfection sounds wonderful. I hope you enjoy it.

• Diane on May 11, 2009 at 05:17

I also received Perfection this week in the mail. Looking forward to reading it and comparing review thoughts!

3. looks like you got perfection as well…those are some great books…Jealous I am! Happy reading…here’s my mailbox: http://www.savvyverseandwit.com/2009/05/mailbox-monday-29.html

• Staci on May 11, 2009 at 06:27

I received Perfection too…looks great. I’m anxious to hear what you think about Burnt Shadows. Great mailbox!!

• Bonnie on May 11, 2009 at 07:20

I am also envious that you got Burnt Shadows as I also missed out and got the email that they ran out of copies.I’m looking forward to your review.

4. I love the cover of Perfection and it sounds really interesting too. Enjoy your books!

• Mary on May 11, 2009 at 09:35

I’m seeing a lot of Perfection today – and I’m really wanting to read it!

• Anna on May 11, 2009 at 10:27

I’ve had my eye on Burnt Shadows. It sounds so good. I just won Jantsen’s Gift in a giveaway, and I’m looking forward to reading it. Enjoy your new books. My Mailbox is here.

–Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

5. Rhapsody: Sorry to hear the pages are falling out! *laughs* I haven’t started the book yet, but it looks great. Glad you’re enjoying it.

Teddy: Sorry to hear you didn’t get Burnt Shadows…once in a while they (the publishers) send out emails, but so often it is just a big question mark.

Jackie: I read your review of Burnt Shadows – I’m looking forward to the book 🙂

Kaye: I’m sorry you weren’t able to snag Burnt Shadows…

Kathy: Thanks 🙂

Diane: I’ll look forward to reading your thoughts on Perfection!

Serena: Thanks for stopping by! Will be by to see your mailbox soon 🙂

Staci: Looks like a lot of people got Perfection!

Bonnie: It seems like a lot of people didn’t get Burnt Shadows – which was weird because they ran that ad for nearly a week!

Avisannschild: *nods about the cover of Perfection* Once again I fell prey to great cover art!

Mary: It looks like a good read!

Anna: Thanks for stopping by – I’ll be by later to see your mailbox!

6. I love the vibrant cover of Perfection (which I also received), and love the cover of Burnt Shadows – still crossing my fingers that I get that one. 🙂

Here’s my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

• Ali on May 11, 2009 at 21:51

I’m almost finished with Jantsen’s Gift and have been loving it. A really well-written, moving memoir. Hope you enjoy it, too!

• Marcia on May 14, 2009 at 14:55

Thank you for stopping by the mailbox this week. Enjoy your books!

• Wendy on May 21, 2009 at 08:36

Wendi: I agree about the cover of Perfection – wonderful!

Ali: Glad to hear you are enjoying the book – I love when I see other bloggers liking books I have on my TBR mountain!

Marcia: and thank you for hosting!