Fearless

Raven does not know fear. She is extremely confident even though she is barely four months old. Her attitude is to charge right into situations, whatever they may be, and embrace life.  So, it really should not have been a surprise when Kip took the dogs to visit his brother (while I was on vacation) and Raven launched herself head first into the swimming pool within five minutes of arriving. She hit the water at full speed, sank like a rock, then rocketed to the surface with paws thrashing. Even after being rescued, she jumped right back in. I’m sure she was thinking, If Argus can do this, so can I! Eventually her efforts paid off, and she learned to swim (albeit somewhat awkwardly). I thought you would all enjoy these photos as much as I did – the waves created in that pool were entirely Raven’s accomplishment. As always, clicking on photos will enlarge them…

Argus Starts Things Off:

learntoswim040001

learntoswim050001

Big Brother Can’t Help You Now:

learntoswim020001

Is This How You Do It?

learntoswim010001

learntoswim030001

A Little Better With Some Practice:

learntoswim060001

• Ali on May 23, 2009 at 09:45

Go Raven! What a little go-getter.

• Kathy on May 23, 2009 at 10:06

Raven is precious! Our dog would never jump in the water like that.

• Indigo on May 23, 2009 at 10:46

Raven appears to be living up to her namesake, rearless and mischievous are two of the raven’s traits. Loved the pictures! Indigo

• Wendy on May 23, 2009 at 11:17

Ali: She is definitely a “go getter!”

Kathy: None of my other shepherds would ever have done this – usually the breed is a bit cautious with new things…

Indigo: Isn’t it funny how they often *do* live up to their names? I know you meant “fearless” in your comment…not “rearless” *laughing!!!!* Glad you enjoyed the photos 🙂

• Kristi on May 23, 2009 at 11:54

LOL… She’s adorable ;o). Hmmm… makes me want to go swimming…

• Sheri on May 23, 2009 at 12:45

Great post. I love Raven posts!

1. Adorable pictures!

• Molly on May 23, 2009 at 15:20

OH – those are such amazing pictures!

It reminds me when we first took our eldest lab, Ralf, to my parents house on the lake. He was not fearless, so it took quite a bit of coaxing to get him into the water. However, by the end of the weekend he was diving off the dock like a pro.

My dad has since passed away and that wonderful house by the lake has been sold, but I am so grateful to have those precious memories.

Thanks for sharing on this Memorial Day weekend.

• Kim L on May 23, 2009 at 15:41

Way to go Raven! I’ve tried as hard as I can to get my puppy to like the water, but I can only get him to enjoy the water if he can touch the bottom… he hates swimming. Cute pics!

• Diane on May 23, 2009 at 17:45

Brave little girl. Cute photos.

• Teddy on May 23, 2009 at 22:15

Go Raven go! So cute.

• Wendy on May 24, 2009 at 12:36

Kristi: It is getting warm enough to take a dip!

Sheri and Rhapsody: Thanks 🙂

Molly: Glad you enjoyed these – Labs usually take quite well to the water (just like our Golden, Argus, who could live in the water!!). My previous german shepherds have never been that crazy about swimming, so watching Raven go crazy with it was quite funny for us!

Kim: I don’t think that is unusual for most puppies…Raven has no idea that she could be in danger, I think – she just launches herself into situations and worries about it later!

Diane and Teddy: Thanks 🙂

• Cindy V on May 26, 2009 at 06:00

AWWW I love the pictures. I’m so crazy aobut my puppies I should set up a blog just for all the pictures I take of them.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Wendy on May 27, 2009 at 07:21

Cindy: If you set up a puppy blog, come back and give me a link – I love looking at other peoples’ photos of their dogs 🙂