August 1, 2008 – June 1, 2009
May 30, 2009 – CHALLENGE COMPLETED
I read 10 award winners from the following prize lists:
- Pulitzer Special Awards
- Anthony Award
- Orange Prize for Fiction
- Booker Prize
- Independent Foreign Fiction Prize
- IMPAC Dublin Award
- Norwegian Critics Prize for Literature
- Whitbread/Costa Award
- Commonwealth Writers Prize
My favorite reads of the bunch included: Maus I & II, Rebecca, Out Stealing Horses, The Road Home, The Secret River, and Music and Silence – all of which I rated 5/5.
Thank you to Michelle for hosting this fun challenge!
Michelle from 1MoreChapter is hosting part 2 of the BookAwards Challenge. I completed (and exceeded) the first one (reading 17 award winning books!) and can’t wait to continue reading award winning literature into 2009. I’m creating a list here, but don’t be surprised if it changes! The goal is 10 books representing a minimum of 5 different awards.
My preliminary list:
- Maus I and Maus II, by Art Spiegelman (1992 Pulitzer in Special Awards and Citations – Letters) – COMPLETED August 31, 2008; rated 5/5; read my review.
- Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier (Winner of the Anthony Award for Best Novel of the Century) – COMPLETED November 7, 2008; rated 5/5; read my review.
- Out Stealing Horses, by Per Petterson (Winner of the 2006 Independent Foreign Fiction Prize, 2003 Norwegian Critics Prize for Literature, AND 2007 IMPAC Dublin Award) – COMPLETED January 6, 2009; rated 5/5; read my review.
- The Road Home, by Rose Tremain (Winner of the 2008 Orange Prize for Fiction) – COMPLETED January 16, 2009; rated 5/5; read my review)
- Offshore, by Penelope Fitzgerald (Winner of the 1979 Booker Prize) – COMPLETED March 27, 2009; rated 3.5/5; read my review.
- The Secret River, by Kate Grenville (2006 Commonwealth Writers Prize) – COMPLETED October 13, 2008; rated 5/5; read my review.
- Music and Silence, by Rose Tremain (1999 Whitbread/Costa Award) – COMPLETED October 9, 2008; rated 5/5; read my review.
- The Ghost Road, by Pat Barker (1995 Booker Award) – COMPLETED December 25, 2008; rated 4.5/5; read my review.
- The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga (2008 Booker Award) – COMPLETED January 3, 2009; rated 4/5; read my review.
- Midnight’s Children, by Salman Rushdie (1981 Booker Award) – COMPLETED May 30, 2009; rated 3/5; read my review.