Mailbox Monday – June 29, 2009

mailboxMonday1 It’s Monday and time to share my mailbox with you. Here is what arrived at my house last week:

NorthOfMontana North By Montana by April Smith arrived via Jen at Jen’s Book Thoughts. This book was a prize I won by participating in the Mystery Read-A-Thon and Jen graciously donated the book for giveaway. Reissued in trade paperback by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard in February of this year, North By Montana is Smith’s debut novel and the first in a series of thrillers starring FBI Special Agent Ana Grey. Smith’s writing is described by critics as “absorbing.” To read more about Smith and her work, visit the author’s website.

WingsThe Wings by Yi Sang showed up in my mailbox very unexpectedly from a blogging friend. This is a slim book translated from the Korean and consists of three short stories linked by their themes of love, life, and death. This book looks fascinating – and I am eager to sit and read it. Yi Sang is considered one of the most innovative writers in modern Korean literature. Sadly he died at the young age of 27 after spending time in a Korean prison for “thought crimes.” Many thanks to my special blogging buddy for this beautiful book!

SacredHeartsSacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant arrived through Random House as an Advance Reader’s Edition. I’ve read Dunant’s books before and she is a talented writer of historical fiction. Sacred Hearts is “an engrossing new novel set in a convent in Renaissance Italy where a defiant sixteen-year-old girl has just been confined against her will – for life.” Sounds good, doesn’t it? Dunant lives in London and Florence and has published eight previous novels. To learn more about Dunant and her work, visit the author’s website. To have a conversation with Dunant, visit her blog.

What arrived at YOUR house this week? Visit Marcia at The Printed Page to share your books and get links to other readers’ mailboxes.

1. I’m a bit jealous that you got the Dunant book! The other two sound good too; I’m especially looking forward to your review of North of Montana. Enjoy your books!

• Kathy on June 29, 2009 at 09:00

The Wings looks fascinating. I’ll be interested to see what you think of it.

2. I also have Sacred Hearts, and North By Montana has a creepy cover. Happy reading. My post is up too if you want to check it out.

3. I was so excited when I found Sacred Hearts in my mailbox last week. I can’t wait to read that one. The Wings sounds really interestind, Wendy. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

4. Not too bad!!! Here is my Monday Morning Update

5. The Wings looks really interesting. I too received Sacred Hearts but have not gotten to it yet.

6. Those sounds good.
    Happy reading 😀

• Alyce on June 29, 2009 at 13:38

The story about the author of Wings is so sad, and makes me want to read the book. I’m curious what exactly his “thought crimes” were. Just so sad.

The Sarah Dunant book looks excellent!

• Mary on June 29, 2009 at 16:17

They all look good. Enjoy!

• Staci on June 29, 2009 at 17:37

Loving your mailbox and what a nice gift from your friend!! I have the Sara Dunant book and it looks really good!!
    enjoy all your goodies!!

7. If it turns out you like the Yi Sang, that particular group of books in the Portable Library of Korean Literature is quite good, although pretty narrowly focused (particularly in the early volumes) on depressing things having to do with the Japanese occupation, Korean war and its economically difficult aftermath.

There are 25 books (and counting) in the series and each is slender and normally contains 2-3 stories.

More modern Korean literature is even more interesting, but the translation of it goes forward at a snail’s pace.

• Kristi on June 30, 2009 at 16:33

North of Montana looks good and I love the cover! Enjoy your books!

• Lisamm on June 30, 2009 at 17:44

Sacred Hearts showed up unexpectedly at my house too!

• Teddy on July 1, 2009 at 14:13

I also received Sacred Hearts this week.

• Wendy on July 3, 2009 at 08:17

Avisannshild: I think I’ll read North of Montana for the next Mystery Read a Thon in August…so you won’t have to wait long 🙂

Kathy: I agree – The Wings looks interesting!

Serena, WendyCat, and Rhapsody: I think a lot of us got Dunant’s book!!

Bluestocking: Ooooh, yours look good too:)

Blodeudd: I agree!

Alyce: I agree – it is so sad. I don’t know what his “thought crimes” were…it could be anything in these countries which control media.

Mary: Thank you!

Staci: I agree – it was a sweet and thoughtful gift!

Charles: Thanks for the recommendations…I’ll have to check them out if I enjoy The Wings.

Kristi: It looks like a quick read too!

Lisa and Teddy: YAY!!!!

• Sandra on July 3, 2009 at 19:29

That Dunant book sounds interesting, I love stories with nuns in them. And I’d love to read some good Korean lit. I’ll watch for your reviews.

• Wendy on July 6, 2009 at 07:43

Thanks for stopping by Sandra!