Quilt Obsession

Okay, so I told you I was getting crafty lately…and my sister completely hooked me on quilting while she was here. Now I just can’t seem to stop thinking about quilts, buying fabric, and planning my next project. It is a bit of an obsession right now.

I thought you might like to see what I have been working on (click on any photo to enjoy a larger view).

Here is a tabletop quilt which I started a long, long time ago and just now got motivated to complete. I am going to attempt to machine quilt this one myself (wish me luck!):

TableTopper.1stProject.032009-07-15 TableTopper.1stProject.012009-07-15 TableTopper.1stProject.022009-07-15

Here is a lap quilt I cut and pieced for my dad for his birthday in August. I had thought to send this out to be quilted, but yesterday the nice lady at the quilt store talked me into trying to do it myself (she told me she would help):

LapQuilt.Dad.032009-07-15 LapQuilt.Dad.012009-07-15 LapQuilt.Dad.022009-07-15

And here is the quilt that my sister, niece and I did in just under two days during their visit (I am really excited about the “back art” feature of this quilt which will show if the quilt is turned down at the top…I tried to photograph that for you). This one is definitely being sent out to be quilted for me:

TealYellowStripQuilt.072009-07-15 TealYellowStripQuilt.012009-07-15 TealYellowStripQuilt.022009-07-15

Back views:

TealYellowStripQuilt.042009-07-15 TealYellowStripQuilt.032009-07-15 TealYellowStripQuilt.052009-07-15

Here is the very start of my current project…a quilt I am making for our bed which is queen-sized. It has quite a ways to go because there are a bazillion pieces to be cut and pieced. But, oh, how great this one is going to look when it’s done!

ToileQuilt.012009-07-15 ToileQuilt.022009-07-15

And just so you can understand the full range of my obsession…here is fabric I bought for future projects:

Fabric.012009-07-15 Fabric.022009-07-15

• Kathy on July 15, 2009 at 08:09

Wow, those are gorgeous!

• Wendy on July 15, 2009 at 08:17

Thanks, Kathy 🙂

• paula on July 15, 2009 at 09:05

What gorgeous quilts Wendy! I love the lap quilt – design and fabrics and so happy to see that you finished your tabletop quilt as well! Excellent work!

• carolyn on July 15, 2009 at 10:13

I’m laughing about your quilting conversion because my fairly recent obsession with books began as an attempt to cure my quilting fixation! I seriously have thoughts sometimes that if my family ever meets economic apocalypse, at least I’ll have enough books and quilting fabric to see me through. Pretty sick, but maybe you know what I mean! The quilts look lovely, by the way. There’s so much to explore in quilting.

• Wendy on July 15, 2009 at 10:19

Paula: I owe it all to you – you have completely converted me *laughs*

Carolyn: *laughs* You and I would get along wonderfully…between my books, jewelry supplies and now quilt materials, I’m set for a lifetime. I am having fun browsing the quilt blogs and there is so much I want to try. I’m pretty basic right now because I am just learning to sew (the thought of actually doing the quilting on any of these scares me to death!). I’ll keep you posted 🙂

• Lisa on July 15, 2009 at 10:39

Better watch that fabric stash, like books it has a way of multiplying when you turn the lights off.

I love that lap quilt, what kind of quilting are you doing on it?

1. I completely understand the quilting obsession — I had to set up a separate site for pics of mine.

Your quilts are beautiful — definitely keep us posted on how the quilting is going!

2. Wow — I’m so impressed! Now, just how many obsessions can a person have?? Really beautiful, Wendy.

3. I am very impressed. I did quilting as a teen – would love to get back into it, as well as learn to knit.

• diane on July 15, 2009 at 12:15

WOW…just gorgeous! Now we have to hook you up with some audio books so you can multi-task (quilt and read) LOL

• Staci on July 15, 2009 at 14:41

Wendy,
    I love every single quilt you showed us!! You’ve got quite an eye for color and patterns!! I love the both of the fabric bundles for your future projects!!

• Donna on July 15, 2009 at 15:53

Hi Wen! I love all of them! My doc told me no knitting, beading, etc. until my trigger thumb is better – I especially love the red florals – do they remind you of anything? (my diningroom?) Next trip out here you better bring an extra bag – just discovered a fabric warehouse in Pawtucket with fabric at 1.99 a yd!!! Woo Hoo!!!

• Anna on July 16, 2009 at 06:03

Beautiful! I’ve always wanted to learn to quilt.

4. These are beautiful! Great color combinations.

• christagirl on July 16, 2009 at 11:11

Oh yea….quilt obsession. I’m on board with ya. Just so you know, there is no going back. Kind of like reading!

5. Wow, you do beautiful work! I’ve always wanted to quilt but haven’t started yet. STill just sticking to knitting and crocheting. I’ll take the leap one of these days.

• Sandy on July 16, 2009 at 17:14

Gee, I feel so inadequate.

6. Quilting is a great way to pass time when not reading 🙂 And another reason I have begun to check out books on CD to keep up with my lists – books and quilts I want to make.

7. These are simply beautiful…there are lots of quilters in my family, and I love having some vintage quilts scattered around.

Have you ever seen the musical “Quilters”? Or read Jennifer Chiavarini’s series of novels about quilting?

8. Join the club…I have been quilting for 20 years or so but must admit that fitting it in with reading is a real challenge. I have a group which has met fortnightly since 1988. Our formal name is The Shimmerers, but our informal name is the not-so-serious-quilters! That’s because we talk more than we quilt! I am an old fashioned hand-sewer so my output is very slow. Your quilts are inspiring – love the one for your Dad. Gorgeous use of colour. (Love them all really but decided to pick on one to comment on!)

• Wendy on July 18, 2009 at 08:32

Lisa: *laughs* The fabric stash is quickly multiplying…yikes! Re: the quilting for the lap quilt…I am doing something REALLY simple. I’m machine quilting it and will do simple diagonal, straight stitches first in one direction, then in the other so that it forms a diamond pattern. A great tutorial for this can be found here.

Texas Red: If I continue on this obsession, I think I will have to start a separate blog (which I’ve been thinking of doing anyway for all my crafty things…like the jewelry, counted cross stitch and quilting).

Terri: Thanks…I don’t think I can possibly limit my obsessions *smiles* I think OCD runs in my family!

Sally: You’ll have to let me know if you start quilting again. I also used to knit a lot in my teens/twenties….loved making sweaters!

Diane: LOL – only right now it requires my full attention to quilt as I am still learning!!

Staci: Thank you so much! I think my favorite part of the process is choosing the colors!

• Wendy on July 18, 2009 at 08:38

Donna: *laughs* I am in BIG trouble!!! The stash is growing fast … and so are the beads. I think they multiply while I’m not watching 🙂

Anna: It is so easy…I recommend a really simple strip quilt like I did…it comes together fast and is very rewarding (not to mention “forgiving”…you really cannot mess it up).

Suzi: Thanks!

Christagirl: *nods* I am seeing that there is no turning back. I’ve even started haunting the quilt blogs now…uh oh!

Darlene: Thank you! Yes, you should start quilting…it is very addictive and rewarding…and easy. I recommend taking a class or having someone you know help you with the basics.

Sandy: *laughing* I doubt you are inadequate…

Juliann: You are the second person to suggest books on CD!

RR: I haven’t read any of those books…will need to check them out. I love vintage quilts. Kip’s grandmother quilted a lot and we have four of her handquilted quilts which I love and treasure.

whisperinggums: Thanks! I would love to find a group of women to quilt with…maybe a combo quilt and book club? *laughs* It is such a relaxing thing to do…and I am discovering how friendly and helpful quilters tend to be (the ladies in the stores are so encouraging!!)

9. Quilters are, like readers, usually good fun. And, you often find that many of them read too. My group of 8 quilters includes another from my face to face book, my mother from my Jane Austen group, and another is a member of a couple of bookgroups. You can combine the two I’m sure!

You might want to think twice about the second blog – Ms Textual (http://bookmarked.typepad.com/ms_textual/) has just combined her knitting and book blogs!

• Teddy on July 19, 2009 at 21:51

Looks like nice work Wendy! I’m a machine quilter but I haven’t made one in a few years. I have an african quilt that I designed all graphed out and all the fabric but havn’t gotten around to it. Now that I blog that has fallen by the way side.

I took up knitting again but I can multi task doing that. ie socialize, watch tv, etc. I’ve even started bringing my easy project to movies.

• Wendy on July 20, 2009 at 07:29

WhisperingGums: Thanks for the encouragement to keep everything here…I’m still thinking on it, but might just create a new page here for all things creative 🙂

Teddy: Thank you! Oh, I’d love to see your fabrics for the African quilt…what a terrific idea!! I agree knitting (and cross stitch … which is another one of my crafty things) is easier to do and be social. I can see why women got together for quilting bees…making a quilt with my sister was so much fun 🙂

10. GORGEOUS!! I am not a crafty person, but I sure do appreciate the beauty of quilts like these. My current obsession is Facebook. Sigh. Why, oh why, did I ever sign up????

• Wendy on July 23, 2009 at 06:00

Thank you, Les!! I have deliberately stayed away from Facebook for just that reason!!!!

• Joan on March 24, 2010 at 09:29

If you haven’t you should read The Lost Quilter. It will combine your two loves. Your quilt is beautiful. I love the colors and the pattern. I am also a relatively new quilter and like patterns that are pretty but not too complicated. Do you remember where the pattern came from?

• Wendy on March 24, 2010 at 12:52

Joan: Thank you! And thanks for the book recommendation too. If you go to this page on my blog, it will give you more detail about the quilts including where I got the patterns and links to them.