Scrappy Nine-Patch Friendship Quilt

Quite some time ago I received fat quarters of a variety of fabrics from a group of women friends on Library Thing (click on any photo to enjoy a larger view):

RR.Fabric022009-07-19

My idea at the time was to fashion some sort of quilt out of them…but I became quickly overwhelmed with the diversity of fabrics and my lack of quilting knowledge. So everything went into a big box where it has sat for months. I have finally rescued the fabric from oblivion and decided to make a nine-patch lap quilt. The idea came after blog-hopping around the quilting blogs and finding this fantastic quilt at Crazy Mom Quilts. I especially like the sashing…and for MY quilt which has a wild array of fabrics, the sashing helps calm things down a bit.

I have made a lot of progress on this little quilt which is going to measure somewhere in the vicinity of 40″ X 56″ when I am done with it. I have finished all the nine-patches (20 blocks in all) and attached the sashing between blocks to make five rows. Yesterday I started adding the sashing between rows and attaching the rows together. Here is what it looks like so far:

RRQuilt.032009-07-25

RRQuilt.042009-07-25

I am planning on creating a 3″ border of sashing, and then I am going to construct a 6″ wide scrappy border with all my leftover fabric. I have not yet decided how to back this quilt…so stay tuned for updates!

So far I am really happy with how this is coming out – one of the unique things about this friendship quilt is the very diverse fabrics…which on first glance did not seem to go together, but which started to meld and compliment each other as the blocks formed – a nice representation of  the group of women who had a hand in its creation!

• lee on July 26, 2009 at 09:39

It’s a beautiful quilt. Raven is also beautiful. I know why they call them noble beasts.

• Tui on July 26, 2009 at 09:49

Wow, it’s looking great, Wendy! (I see mine, I see mine!) Just love how it’s coming together and am eager to see the finished piece.

• Wendy on July 26, 2009 at 09:59

Lee: Thank you 🙂 Raven is not always so noble…she is a real goof-ball sometimes!!

Tui: Thanks! I am really excited about getting this done. I should have it finished in a few weeks, I think.

• miriam on July 26, 2009 at 12:00

Amazing how much Raven has grown, and it was adorable to see her relaxed in your arms as though she were itty bitty still. I love the quilt and look forward to seeing the scrappy border. Think about flying geese. that is just triangles attached together. Nice contrast to squares. Roman stripes are nice too.

• Laura on July 26, 2009 at 12:37

the very diverse fabrics…which on first glance did not seem to go together …
    I just want to say, sock monkeys go with EVERYTHING.

• Kathy on July 26, 2009 at 13:10

Oh, what an awesome keepsake. I love it!

1. The quilt is looking great. Those patches come together beautifully. I can’t wait to see it completed.

• Wendy on July 26, 2009 at 14:29

Miriam: Raven seems to have no idea that she is a big dog now…Kip calls her “little-big dog!” Re: the border…what I am doing is horizontal 6″ long strips (each strip is 2.5″ wide). Today I finished piecing the rows and managed to do the top and bottom scrappy borders…and they look great!

Laura: *laughs* Yes they do!!!

Thanks Kathy and Darlene! It is amazing how such vastly different fabrics actually go together, isn’t it?

• Nicole on July 26, 2009 at 15:33

What a gorgeous quilt! I would love to do one but I just don’t know that my sewing is good enough.

2. It’s gorgeous Wendy. I’m in awe.

• Wendy on July 26, 2009 at 17:40

Nicole: I am a brand new sewer…so if I can do it, so can you! I would recommend doing a strip quilt if you want to try one…they are easy and very “forgiving” re: not have perfect seams!

Terri: Thanks 🙂 I worked on it again today and it is really coming together…very exciting!

3. this is looking gorgeous. I can’t wait to see the finished product!

• Jill on July 30, 2009 at 15:07

I love this quilt! You’re doing a great job!

• Wendy on July 31, 2009 at 07:22