Sunday Salon – July 26, 2009

Sunday Salon

July 26, 2009

Good morning, fellow readers! The heat in Northern California has finally broken a bit and this morning there is a cool breeze wafting through my windows. I have had a good week of reading (making up ground for a slow start to the month). Since I my last Salon post I’ve read:

Between Here and April by Deborah Copaken Kogan (read my review) which turned out to be an interesting, provocative book. Some of the subject matter is difficult, but Kogan’s writing is worth the occasional moments of discomfort.

Finding Nouf by Zoe Ferraris (read my review) is a fascinating look at Saudi Arabian culture as it pertains to women…and it is a compelling mystery too. I didn’t find a ton of blog reviews for this book when I googled it (or checked my Google Reader) so I wonder how many others have read this book which won the 2009 Alex Award. Do you have this one on your shelf?

I just started reading The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti yesterday and so far I am enjoying it. Tinti’s story reminds me of Dickens a bit. I should finish this one in a couple of days, I think, so I may have time to squeeze in one more read before the end of the month.

In other reading news…I just posted a new challenge which I will be hosting beginning August 1st. It is all about putting randomness back in our reading…something I definitely need to do myself. Sign ups are not restricted and can be found here on my blog. I have worked a lot of flexibility into the challenge for those readers who need that…hope you’ll join me!

I am also going to be figuring out my nominations for Book Blogger Appreciation Week. Have you submitted yours yet? This year looks to be bigger and better than last year thanks to Amy’s efforts.

I thought I would leave you with the latest photos I have of Raven. She is now six months old and just over 40 pounds…and is turning into such a wonderful dog – sweet, devoted, social, and oh-so-smart! Click on any photo to enjoy a larger view.

Sunning by the french doors:

Raven.6months.012009-07-21 Raven.6months.042009-07-21

Almost too big to be picked up anymore!

Raven.6months.062009-07-26 Raven.6months.082009-07-26

1. It’s cold and miserable here today, so I could do with a bit of your heat, I have to say. Still, rain and wind make for good reading weather. This is the third or fourth mention I’ve come across of ‘The Good Thief’. I shall have to go and do a bit of research.

2. Your dog is beautiful!

Hope you have a lovely day!

• Tui on July 26, 2009 at 09:53

Such a beautiful girl and SO GLAD her nose is better. I don’t know how you can lift her…I can barely hold Cato up when he puts his paws up on me for a kiss!

• Wendy on July 26, 2009 at 09:58

Table Talk: The Good Thief has been getting a lot of attention since it was published…I am withholding my final assessment until I’ve finished it!

Debbie: Thank you!

Tui: *laughing* I can barely pick her up (you should have seen the other photos Kip took where she was thrashing about!!). I have a feeling these monthly shots are going to change by next month 🙂

• Memory on July 26, 2009 at 10:10

Wow, Raven’s getting big!

I’m still trying to decide on my nominations for BBAW. There are a few categories where three or four blogs sprang instantly to mind, so I’ve got some difficult decisions ahead of me.

3. I, for one, think there should be a BBAW nomination for Best Blogger’s Dog! Given the popularity of the contest at A Novel Menagerie and the cuteness of the dogs, it should be a permanent category! What a sweet big baby you have!

• Sheri on July 26, 2009 at 11:31

She’s gotten so big! I can’t believe it! Thanks for the picture!

Rhapsody… you crack me up!

• JoAnn on July 26, 2009 at 11:53

Oh, my – Raven is getting so big!! I love the close up picture of you holding her…bet you won’t be able to do that next month 😉 She’s a gorgeous dog!

• Tara on July 26, 2009 at 12:32

Oh I love Raven’s new pictures!! I find it hilarious that my Westie Buster is also 6 months old and I’m complaining because he now weighs in at a whopping 10 pounds!!! And then I come here and see your pictures of Raven and read that she’s 40 pounds, and I think, wow, I was just complaining that Buster was packing on the pounds?

• Laura on July 26, 2009 at 12:35

I’m so glad you posted photos of Raven! She’s really growing up and looks more “doggy” than “puppy” now.

I like your challenge idea too, btw … but I’ve already PLANNED my August reads!! * smile *

• Kathy on July 26, 2009 at 13:11

Raven is beautiful. Our little Milou loves to sunbathe too.

• Gavin on July 26, 2009 at 13:32

I think we got your hot weather. Raven is just gorgeous, and yes, I am working on my BBAW nominations. I think you have also dragged me kicking and screaming into another challenge. Oh, but this one is so, so random. Have a great week.

4. Raven is so beautiful. She is so big! I’ve got to pop over and check out the challenge. I’ve been hearing lots about it. Have a great Sunday!

• Staci on July 26, 2009 at 14:27

Raven is so stunning!! What a beautiful animal.

I’ll have to check out your challenge, sounds fun and it just may help me read books from my own shelves!!!

I’ve signed up for the BBAW and have nominated blogs!

• Wendy on July 26, 2009 at 14:35

Memory: I’m glad we have until the 15th of August for our BBAW nominations…it is going to be a tough decision on who to nominate out of the over 300 blogs in my Reader…Yikes!

Rhapsody: LOL! Sure, why not!??!?! I love it!

Sheri: You’re welcome 😉

Joann: I think you may be right…we’ll see! So far I’ve taken one of these every month we’ve had her…but that will eventually have to stop!

Tara: It is all a matter of perspective, isn’t it!??! *laughing*

Laura: You can start the challenge ANY TIME!!! Come on…break out of the lists and be random…you know you want to! *laughing* I agree about Raven…Kip calls her the “little-big dog” now!

Kathy: Isn’t it funny how they like to bake in the sun? Just like people!

Gavin: *laughs* Glad you’ll be joining me for the challenge.

Darlene: Would love to have you join us in the challenge – I hope it will be a fun one 🙂

Staci: Thanks 🙂 I really, really need to start reading from my own stacks…hope you’ll join in with the challenge too. Glad to see you’ve signed up for the BBAW!

5. Put the randomness back in our reading. Absolutely! Hope the coming week includes many happy, random reading moments. And by the way, you look wonderfully happy with that great looking dog.

6. Great pictures! Love your blog. The book the Good Thief sounds interesting.

I am still thinking about your challenge…. Good that I have almost a week to decide…. 🙂

• Ali on July 26, 2009 at 19:34

Beautiful pictures of both of you!

We must have gotten your heat up here, because we’ll be in the hundreds next week. As you probably know, Oregonians are very afraid of temps in the hundreds, since many of us don’t bother with A/C!

7. I am still working on my nominations list — there are just too many fantastic blogs to choose from! Have a great week.

• Jeane on July 27, 2009 at 19:05

I always love seeing your photo updates of Raven. She is so gorgeous!

8. I love the shots of you and the PUP! I submitted all my BBAW nominations. Flexible reading challenges are always good. I’ll have to check it out.

• Wendy on July 31, 2009 at 07:26

Frances: I definitely need more randomness in my life! And yes, little Miss Raven makes me happy (and she makes me laugh as she is perhaps one of the funniest dogs I have ever had the pleasure to spend time with!)

Sheila: You can join the challenge at ANY TIME during the challenge period…so no deadline to join 🙂

Ali: I’ve heard you’ve been roasting up there in Oregon. We are due to have more seasonal temps for awhile…I’m pretty sick of the triple digits!

Gautami: I think you’ll enjoy Finding Nouf!

Jessica: I know what you mean about picking nominations…it is stressing me out a little!

Jeane: Thank you!

Serena: Glad you enjoy the photos 🙂 And hope you’ll join the challenge!