First Quilt Project: COMPLETED!

Tabletopper.Finished42009-08-01 Tabletopper.Finished62009-08-01

*Click on any image to enjoy a larger view

I started this 25″ X 25″ tabletopper about two years ago – in fact, I took a class to learn how to quilt and this was the project. So it is only fair that it be my first quilt project to actually be completed. I stitched this myself from beginning to end, including the machine quilting and binding. Here is the detail of me quilting the top:

Tabletopper.Quilting22009-07-31 Tabletopper.Quilting2009-07-31

See that little guide on the right hand side? I love it! I makes sewing straight lines a breeze and you don’t have to mark up your quilt top.

And here is the back detail:

Tabletopper.Detail.Back22009-08-01

Many thanks to JJ at JJ’s Log Cabin Quilt Shop who took time out of her busy day to show me how to pin a quilt and quilt it (and also for her quick tutorial on stitching a binding).

What I learned from making this project:

• It was worth the $30 to buy a walking foot with straight line quilting guide for my sewing maching.
  • You don’t have to be perfect to quilt, but it helps all your triangle points to line up if you are accurate with a 1/4″ seam allowance.
  • You should finish what you start.
  • Machine quilting is not as hard as you might think.
  • Fabric has quite a bit of stretch so you can fudge a little if things are just a little bit off.

Please visit my new page at Caribousmom: All Things Creative. This is where I am going to keep track of my creative projects so check back often as I update things!

1. This looks beautiful! Wish I could do that!

2. It’s absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

• Kathy on August 1, 2009 at 15:14

That’s just gorgeous – I’m sure you’ll enjoy it for years to come!

• paula on August 1, 2009 at 16:24

I’m so impressed – your quilting is amazing! Beautiful work sis!!!

• Anna on August 1, 2009 at 16:50

That turned out great. It’s absolutely beautiful!

• carolyn on August 1, 2009 at 17:17

Looks great! You’re going to enjoy looking at that every day. And have you planned your next project yet?

3. Wow, Wendy, it’s beautiful! Congrats on finishing it!

• Nicole on August 1, 2009 at 18:04

Congratulations on completing your first project. It looks great!

• Ali on August 1, 2009 at 20:36

It’s lovely! And even better: you finished it! Congrats on a job well done!

• LN on August 2, 2009 at 00:38

Very impressive! Well done! 🙂

• Wendy on August 2, 2009 at 06:16

Rhapsody: You can! You can! Really…it is not as hard as it looks. You just need a good teacher 🙂

Suzi: Thank you so much!

Kathy: Thanks – I will treasure it 🙂

Paula: Thanks, sista! It’s all because of you, you know!

Anna: Thanks 🙂

Carolyn: *laughs* Have I planned my next project? yeeeesssssss! I actually will be posting later today my double bed quilt which I finished last night…then I have three others “in progress” – a queen size quilt, and two lap quilts. And I am beginning to hoard fabric, and am thinking of more projects even as I write this. Addictive, this quilting!

Avisannschild: Thank you so much!

Nicole: Thanks!

Ali: Thanks – I’m proud of myself that I muscled through this one. I am such a perfectionist and it was hard to let go of that and just get it done and learn from my mistakes…but now I’m glad I did.

LN: Thanks 🙂

• diane on August 2, 2009 at 07:48

You have real talent; it’s gorgeous. Congrats on finishing it.

• Staci on August 2, 2009 at 09:26

Gorgeous quilt!!! I agree that you should finish what you started…I’m working on that right now with all of my Unfinished Projects of scrapbooks that I’ve got going on!! 🙂

• Wendy on August 2, 2009 at 10:28

Diane: Thank you so much!

Staci: It is very rewarding to actually finish a project! Good luck with the scrapbooking 🙂

4. It’s just beautiful Wendy! I would love to create something like that. I do agree that you should finish what you start. I am so bad. I have a whole corner of the basement devoted to my yarn stash and projects.

• "JJ" on August 2, 2009 at 13:42

I’m so proud of you Wendy. Your enthusiasm and passion for this craft is infectious. I always love seeing “Newbies” progress through their projects but you are exceptional! It’s inspiring and reinforces my own love of quilting. Don’t forget to add your labels. I found some in my personal stash so if you don’t have any, stop by the shop and I’ll share mine with you.

Keep up the good work!

• Wendy on August 2, 2009 at 14:25

Darlene: Oh, I remember when I was way into knitting…I had tons of yarn stashed away *laughs* Maybe just finish ONE project you’ve put on the back burner…it is so satisfying to get it done!

JJ: THANK YOU for stopping by and leaving such an encouraging comment! You have been such an inspiration and help to me as I make my way through the learning curve of quilting 🙂 Thanks for the offer for the labels…you know I’ll be back in to check out your new fabric sometime this week, so we’ll see!!!

• JoAnn on August 3, 2009 at 03:59

Just gorgeous…quilting is a great creative outlet!

• Wendy on August 5, 2009 at 15:31

JoAnn: Thanks 🙂 I agree – it is really fun to sift through colors and fabrics and decide what you want to do!