First Full-Size Quilt COMPLETED!

StripQuilt.Finished72009-08-02 StripQuilt.Finished182009-08-02

*Click on any photo to enjoy a larger view

I finished hand stitching the binding on this quilt last night and washed it and air dried it…I am so excited. For many, many years I’ve dreamed of making a quilt which could fit on a bed…and now I’ve  finally done it. This quilt was pieced and cut with the help of my sister, Paula; and laid out with the help of Paula and my niece, Abby. I pieced the borders myself. There is “back art” on this quilt which allows it to either be reversible or to turn down the top and have some of the pattern from the top.

StripQuilt.Finished32009-08-02 StripQuilt.Finished152009-08-02

Due to the size, I opted have this one professionally machine quilted by June Broughton of Redding, California. I love the mushroom pattern she recommend:

StripQuilt.Finished42009-08-02 StripQuilt.Finished52009-08-02

June helped me start the binding, but I finished it myself. This quilt is a double bed size and so will be used in the guest room (anyone want to come for a visit?).

This quilt was hard to photograph because of its large size. Here are a few more photos:

StripQuilt.Finished12009-08-02 StripQuilt.Finished132009-08-02

StripQuilt.Finished172009-08-02 StripQuilt.Finished92009-08-02

What I learned from making this quilt:

• Making a quilt with someone you care about makes it that much more special.
  • There are no mistakes in quilting, only opportunities to make things better.
  • Measure, measure, measure… BEFORE you cut.
  • Strip quilts are easy and very forgiving for beginner quilters.
  • Quilters are some of the nicest people on the face of the planet.
  • One spool of quilting thread is EXACTLY enough to make a double-sized quilt

• Staci on August 2, 2009 at 09:17

That is so beautiful and it captures summer perfectly! I love what you learned from making this quilt!!! My SIL quilts and she made me a gorgeous lap quilt!

• Kathy on August 2, 2009 at 09:27

I’m so impressed with your talent!

• Molly on August 2, 2009 at 09:46

Absolutely beautiful!! I love the practical artistic nature of quilts and would love to piece one together myself. But…since I cannot sew a button on a shirt, I will have to marvel at the talented work of others.

• Wendy on August 2, 2009 at 10:24

Thanks, Staci…someone told me you learn something from every quilt you make, so I thought it would be fun to start keeping track of my “lessons!” Oh, I’d love to see a photo of your sister-in-laws work!

Kathy: Aw, thanks *blushing*

Molly: I bet you could make a quilt 🙂 My sewing experience is practically nil…but quilting is almost all straight stitching.

• Sheri on August 2, 2009 at 11:28

Amazing, Wendy!

1. Absolutely beautiful Wendy! I love the pattern and most especially the colors of this one. I’m getting more and more tempted to look into quilting but I am really a menace with a needle and thread or a sewing machine. lol.

2. this quilt is gorgeous!

3. Congratulations! That is a gorgeous quilt, and I’m not normally a fan. The colors are so much fun! I would love to say in a guest bedroom with something like that calling to me. Beautiful work. And again, congratulations!

4. Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

• Wendy on August 2, 2009 at 14:28

Sheri: Thanks!

Darlene: I fell in love with this fabric when I first saw it…and today I found out that a proceeds of all sales from this fabric go to aid in ovarian cancer research…which somehow makes this even better!

Serena: Thank you so much!

Michelle: The colors are fun, aren’t they? I am really drawn to the bold colors, I am finding. You can come stay in my guestroom any time 🙂

Swapna: Thank you so much!!

• Gavin on August 2, 2009 at 15:12

Wendy – Congratulations, it is a beauty! The color combination and print designs are such fun. You have a great eye.

• Jeane on August 2, 2009 at 17:36

It’s so cheerfull. I love the colors.

• Bonnie on August 2, 2009 at 17:44

Congratulations Wendy on completing your first full size BEAUTIFUL quilt! The colors blend so well and it’s bright and cheery. I have always wanted to quilt but feel a bit intimidated as my sewing skills are very basic. Thanks for sharing this accomplishment and what you learned along the way.

5. Absolutely stunning!

6. It looks gorgeous! This is a talent I have always wanted but never got around to learning. Entirely my own fault – I had offers, just never made the time.

• Laura on August 3, 2009 at 05:37

Nice work, Wendy!

7. It’s a beautiful quilt. Congratulations on completing it. I don’t quilt at the moment, but it’s in my blood so I imagine someday I will. I have very fond memories of making a quilt with my grandma one summer. Grandpa even helped – he cut out all the squares.

• Jenny on August 3, 2009 at 10:42

That’s so beautiful! I love the colors, and the patterns on both sides. Just gorgeous – I sometimes wish I had asked my grandmother to teach me to quilt, when I was younger. Your quilt projects are lovely.

8. It’s beautiful! Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting! I keep thinking about posting some of my quilts and stuff, but never seem to get around to it. Well done, your color choices are just gorgeous. That’s a fun pattern, isn’t it!

• Ali on August 3, 2009 at 21:58

Those colors are so bright and beautiful, I love it!

• Anna on August 5, 2009 at 06:55

Gorgeous! I love the colors.

• Wendy on August 5, 2009 at 15:27

Gavin: Thanks so much – these were really fun fabrics to work with!

Jeane: I love cheerful colors 🙂 Thank you.

Bonnie: Thanks for your kind words…my sewing skills are VERY basic (I had hardly sewn anything when I started this quilt), but what I discovered is that if you chose a simple strip style quilt, all you have to do is sew straight lines and any little errors are forgivable…in other words, you can do this!!!

Anne: Thank you!

Sheila: Someday you should try it 🙂 I recommend making it with someone else, as I did – very gratifying and fun!

Laura: Thanks 🙂

Melanie: I love your story about your Grandpa cutting all the squares! How fun…what a great memory to have!

Jenny: thanks…you could still learn 🙂 Most local quilt stores have beginner lessons in quilting…or maybe a friend or family member could help?

Kelly:OH, you should definitely post them! I’d love to see them!

Ali: Thank you!

Anna: Thanks 🙂

9. Hooray for you, Wendy! The quilt is gorgeous (yes, I’d come stay and sleep under it!) and what an achievement. I have a friend who is a very talented seamstress and quilter and I’m always in awe of the beautiful quilts she’s made. Every once and a while I think, hey, I could probably do that, but then I remember how busy I am and how much I miss reading as much as I used to. This would only carve away more of that precious time. So, I’ll live vicariously through your endeavors. But back to your quilt. Love the cheerful colors! The photo of the quilt folded up is my favorite. Looks like it should be on the cover of a magazine! Have fun.

• Wendy on August 9, 2009 at 17:35

Thanks, Les 🙂 You can come visit ANY TIME…just let me know when you’re in town 🙂 The quilting is definitely taking away some of my reading/blogging time…but I am really enjoying it. Taking photos of quilts is a challenge, I am finding. Trying to get the right lighting so that you can best see the colors and stitching is probably the hardest thing to do…so thank you for the encouragement 🙂

• Joan on March 23, 2010 at 11:22

I love the basic strip piecing of this quilt. Where did you find the pattern?

• Wendy on March 24, 2010 at 12:56

Joan: This was such an easy quilt to make. Check out this page on my blog for more information including a link to the tutorial.