August 2, 2009
Is it really August already? This summer is just flying by. I woke up this morning to the sky grumbling and the smell of damp earth – highly unusual in Northern California this time of year to actually get rain, but I’m grateful for it … especially since it seems that we are going to have a bit of thunder and lightening. Last year, dry lightening sparked hundreds of fires in our area, so when I hear the rumbles off in the distance I always feel a little anxious.
Since my last Sunday Salon post, I finished reading The Good Thief which did not really resonate with me (read my review). I wanted to like it since it won a ton of awards and other readers who I respect loved it. But, it was not to be. Perhaps just a mood thing.
My current read is The House on Fortune Street which is very British! The story is told from the points of view of four different characters…and so far I’m interested in their stories. I hope to finish this one up soon so I can start reading Someone Knows My Name – a chunkster of a book which I am eager to get started.
Here is a look ahead to the rest of the month:
- The Book of Unholy Mischief by Ellie Newmark – reading for Pump Up Your Book tour…watch for a review on August 18th.
- Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck – reading for a book club discussion
- The Mystery Read-A-Thon is slated for the weekend of August 8th – so I’ll be reading a couple of mysteries. I’m also going to be giving away a couple of books for that event.
- I need to complete the Southern Reading Challenge by the 15th of the month. Not sure that is going to happen, but we’ll see.
- I’ll also be picking my first Random Read for the Random Reading Challenge (it’s not too late to sign up if you want to be random!).
By the way, in non-book-related news…I’ve begun creating a new page and sub-pages called All Things Creative on my blog. Please check it out. It is in a state of change and building, but will ultimately be a place where visitors to my blog can see what I am doing creatively. My latest obsession is Quilting and I have created a subpage to showcase all my quilting projects. Let me know what you think. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to create a whole new blog for this stuff (and might still do that), but first wanted to try it this way.
I hope you have a wonderful week ahead…and whatever you are doing today, I hope it involves a good book!