Book Lust

I had an hour to kill yesterday and found myself wandering the aisles of my local Barnes and Noble Booksellers. I should know better than to think I can just browse. I came home with three new books:

MySister My Sister, My Love by Joyce Carol Oates

StillWaters Still Waters by Nigel McCrery

BeachMusic Beach Music by Pat Conroy

Have you read any of these? My guess is that I am the last person in the world to read Beach Music.

1. People like us can never go into B&N and just browse!! 😉 Those sound like fabulous books. And no, you’re not the last person to read Beach Music. I just read my first Pat Conroy novel last week, his latest out later this month, but he has quickly been added to my TBR list! Have fun reading!

2. New books are always wonderful. enjoy them!

3. I haven’t read any of those, but I know what the results are of “just browsing” in a bookstore!!!

4. I haven’t read any of those – yet! Will have to check into them. Always fun to spend extra time browsing. Glad you had fun.

5. I can’t just browse either Wendy! Enjoy those books!

• Staci on August 5, 2009 at 10:50

Sometimes I can get out of there with nothing and other days I come home with 3 or 4!! I’ve read Beach Music…beautiful. Enjoy!!

• Kathy on August 5, 2009 at 10:51

Beach Music is the only one of the three I’ve read and I loved it.

• Megan on August 5, 2009 at 11:14

Haha, don’t worry. I haven’t even read Prince of Tides yet, even though I’m excited to read the book he’s coming out with this summer (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pat+conroy&x=0&y=0&sprefix=pat+conr). Enjoy your splurge!

• diane on August 5, 2009 at 11:48

Congrats on the new additions LOL

No, you are not the only person who has not read Beach Music (meant too–i just haven’t). I will be reading South of Broad though within the next week –can’t wait.

Enjoy your new books.

• Megan on August 5, 2009 at 12:30

You might be the last person to *own* Beach Music, but you are not the last person to read it. I have it here in the stacks somewhere, but I have yet to read it. 😉

Book “browsing” always turns into book *shopping* with me!

• Wendy on August 5, 2009 at 15:51

Michelle: I’m glad I’m not alone in my inability to resist temptation! I have Conroy’s newest also…looks like I’m finally going to read this author who everyone always gushes about!

Serena: There’s nothing like a new book to brighten my day!

Rhapsody: *laughs* I’m afraid it is far too common amongst us book-obsessed people.

Robin: Fun, but not good for my wallet! *laughs*

Amy: I knew we were a lot alike!

Staci: I am afraid I rarely walk out without something!

• Wendy on August 5, 2009 at 15:54

Kathy: Good to know you loved Beach Music!

Megan (Crooked Seams): I’ve got South of Broad also…I’ve never read ANYTHING by this author…but I guess I will soon 🙂

Diane: Glad to know I’m not alone…I’m looking forward to South of Broad too 🙂

Megan (Leafing Through Life): LOL!

• Lisa on August 5, 2009 at 21:00

I haven’t read Beach Music but love Pat Conroy. I’m looking forward to South of Broad.

6. You’re definitely not the last person in the [i]world[/i] to read [i]Beach Music[/i] -I don’t think it has made it Norway yet. I’ve never even heard about it… 😉

7. ‘Just’ browsing in a bookshop simply isn’t possible. When I was a student my supervisor used to make me leave my credit card with her before I went down to the University bookshop because she knew I would buy so many books that I wouldn’t have time to read what she wanted me to. I haven’t read any of these and the one I feel most guilty about is the Oates. I’ve not read any of hers and I feel that as an absence.

• LN on August 6, 2009 at 02:45

Joyce Carol Oates is an author that I really would like to discover 🙂

• Nicola on August 6, 2009 at 03:00

Great Books! Bookstores are dangerous places!

8. I haven’t read any of these, but I get a mad case of book lust every time I walk into a bookstore!

9. Those look great!

• Wendy on August 9, 2009 at 17:39

Lisa: I have yet to have someone say they do not like Conroy…so I am expecting to love his books!

Hilde: Good to know *laughs*

Anne: LOL! I feel like I should leave my credit card at home sometimes too! I’ve read only one other Oates book…I didn’t love it, but I appreciated her writing. She is such a classic literary novelist that I want to read more of her work.

LN: You should give her a try!

Nicola: Yes they are indeed!!!

Swapna: It seems to be an affliction a lot of us are suffering from!

Sheila: I think so too 🙂

10. Love, love, love Beach Music!! One of the best novels I’ve ever read. You’re in for a treat. However, The Great Santini is not one I’d recommend, but his new one (South of Broad) is quite good – at least the portion I’ve read so far. Had to put it aside for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (for book club).

11. I loved Beach Music, but it’s been years since I read it. It’s on my ‘re-read someday’ list.

• Wendy on August 11, 2009 at 06:32

Les: I trust your taste in books so I know I’ll love Beach Music. Glad to know that I can skip The Great Santini. I got South of Broad as an ARC…I need to read that one soon 🙂

Suzi: I am looking forward to reading a book that so many readers have loved! Thanks for weighing in!

• Lexi on August 16, 2009 at 04:04

Beach Music is pretty high up on my TBR list. The Nigel McCrery is on my list, but I’d never heard of that particular Oates. She’s so prolific! I love her writing, so it’s going on my list now!

• Wendy on August 17, 2009 at 15:01

Lexi: I hadn’t even heard of Nigel McCrery until I stumble on this book in the store! Oates has written so many books – I have barely scratched the surface of her writing.