caribousmom Rotating Header Image

Pool Dogs

Share in top social networks!

This past weekend Kip and I visited his brother and sister-in-law just outside of Sacramento. You might remember that this is where Raven was first introduced to swimming. She’s come a long way since that day.

LaborDaySwim.042009-09-05 LaborDaySwim.022009-09-05

Her style of entry is to run full speed, get some air, tuck up her feet and canon-ball into the water.

CannonBall.022009-09-05 CannonBall.012009-09-05

Lord help anyone (beast or human) who happens to be in her way.

CannonBall.032009-09-05 LaborDaySwim.052009-09-05

Both Raven and Argus think they are at a Spa when they visit the relatives in Sacramento. They spent at least 6 hours playing in and around the pool on Saturday…and Sunday morning it took them less than 30 seconds after awakening to take their first dip.

Argus.Raven.Swimming012009-09-05

Of course, Argus is an older dog now…so sometimes he prefers floating to swimming.

WhySwim.WhenYouCanFloat052009-09-06 WhySwim.WhenYouCanFloat062009-09-06

There are better ways than others to get on top of a pool float.

WhySwim.WhenYouCanFloat042009-09-06 WhySwim.WhenYouCanFloat032009-09-06

A wet dog is really a happy dog…even if the water sometimes gets in your big ears…

WetDog2009-09-05

*Click on any photo to enjoy a larger view

Share in top social networks!

25 Comments

1. Kathy says:

That pool looks pretty inviting to me too! Our dog hates the water!

2. Looks like raven had a great time swimming. So cute! I love the photo with the outstretched ear.

3. Jenners says:

Thanks for these photos!! I’ve been having a sad time in life and seeing these photos made me smile! I love dogs swimming!!! And these photos were great! I really like the dive one!

4. Caribousmom says:

Kathy: The water was wonderful :) Raven is my first GSD who LOVES the water :)

Serena: She gets so wonky with those ears! *laughing*

Jenners: I’m sorry you’ve been going through a rough time…and happy I made you smile. My dogs are funny and make me smile and laugh a lot…so I like to share that with others. :)

5. Valorie says:

That is soooo precious! I just loved looking at those pictures of your beautiful dogs having so much fun in the water. I am so lonely now that I don’t have any pets around me. There’s nothing better than sharing great moments with them.

6. Terri says:

What great photos Wendy! Who knew shepards were such water dogs?! I wonder what Liza will do when she encounters water.

7. Sheri says:

Looks like your honey is holding a glass of wine that Raven better not get pool water into!

She’s such a big girl now!

8. Jeane says:

Looks like they’re having a blast! I love the one where Argus is trying to climb onto the pool float.

9. Laura says:

I love the shots of Argus falling off the float. I wish Woody & Lily could join them in the pool — they’d love it!

10. vivienne says:

What fabulous pictures. Both dogs look like they were having a brilliant time.

11. Molly says:

LOVE – LOVE – LOVE the dog pictures!

We took our first lab to my parents house (which happened to back up to a fairly large lake) when he was about a year old. While he was timid of the water at first, he was an old pro by the end of the weekend. Your photos have allowed me to reminisce about that fond memory. Thank you!

12. Lori L says:

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us! I really enjoyed them and couldn’t help but laugh! I love the picture with Argus and Raven in the water and Raven’s one ear is sticking up.

13. Kristie says:

I loved those pictures! How adorable! I wish my dog liked swimming, but she is terrified of all water. Keep them coming!

14. paula says:

Oh my goodness….these pics are so funny! I love the ones of Raven launching herself into the pool….if she gets much bigger she’ll miss the water completely and land on the other side! And Argus is just too cute rolling off the float. I bet you guys were laughing so hard watching them!

15. Gavin says:

Beautiful pictures. Raven has turned into a stunning dog and they both look like they are having so much fun!

16. Lisa says:

I love this post, I too have animal children and human ones too, LOL! I now want a pool just so my puppies can go swimming how awesome would that be, we have no lakes around our house just ocean which is great for the human children but not so much for the furry children. Ocean wet dogs are a special kind of stinky dogs. Anyway found your blog by looking for quilts but now I love it because of the puppies, two of my fav things crafts and dogs.

Have you hugged your furry friends today, I have.

17. Staci says:

Those pictures are fantastic!! I wish I could be a dog sometimes!!

18. Lynda says:

fantastic photos.
    our dogs Amy and Spike both love the water – they love the sea especially ;0)

19. Shonda says:

Wendy-

You have so much fun with your dogs! What a blessing they are for you and your husband!! Pets are great, aren’t they????

20. Caribousmom says:

Valorie: I agree – sharing your life with animals is wonderful. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

Terri: My guess is that Liza will love the water – she is a clown…and water is so much FUN!

Sheri: *laughing* Yup – the wine must be saved at all costs!!!

Jeane: We were choking we were laughing so hard at Argus and that float. He was VERY determined!

Laura: I think your pups would love our pups! Maybe someday! I think my favorite photo is also the one of Argus falling off the float.

Vivienne: Yup – they had a blast!!!

Molly: Thanks :) Glad I was able to stimulate some good memories for you!!

21. Caribousmom says:

Lori: Glad I made you laugh :) That one of Raven and Argus where Raven’s ear is wonky seems to be a favorite!

Kristie: My previous GSDs were not in love with the water like Raven is…so this has been fun to watch. Argus, on the other hand, has never liked anything better than the water!

Paula: Actually, funny you should mention her jumping across the pool…she actually attempted to do just that at one point…rather dangerous, and luckily Kip was right there to grab her!! We laughed a lot that day!

Gavin: Thank you so much!

Lisa: So glad you stopped by!! I love my fur children!!! And yes, wet dogs are stinky dogs…but somehow I don’t mind it :) Glad to find another quilter out there!

Staci: *laughs* I think being a dog would be an interesting time!!

Lynda: Raven hasn’t seen the ocean yet – I’m looking forward to seeing her response to it some day!

Shonda: Yes on both counts – they are a blessing and great fun!

22. Les in NE says:

I love these photos! I’ve looked at them more than once and each time brings a smile to my face. Argus is such a sweetheart. He has the wise eyes of an older dog. I think I could fall in love with him very quickly. And that Raven! What a character. It looks like he’s still growing into his ears. :) What a fun time for those dogs. We’ve never had an opportunity to see if Annie likes water. I wish we lived near the ocean, but I suppose we could take her to a local lake. It would be quite a smelly ride home, though!

I hope you continue to post “family” pictures. I love ‘em!

23. Caribousmom says:

Les: I love how Argus’ face is turning white…and his little eyes are definitely growing wiser! Raven is probably going to be somewhere around 70 pounds full grown, I think. Wet dog smell is one I don’t mind too much…and swimming makes them so happy! I’ll continue posting photos…I love my babies :)

24. Teddy says:

It looks like Raven and argus were having a great time! They are soooooooo cute! So, did Argus ever make it onto a pool float?

25. Caribousmom says:

Teddy: They LOVE it there!! Yes, Argus eventually managed to get atop the float. He spent about 15 minutes there, sunning himself and enjoying the ride before he toppled back into the pool :)