Sweet Baby Girl Quilt

DancingGirls.BabyQuilt112009-09-18Kip’s cousin recently had a baby girl – her first…and so I decided that was a good excuse to make a baby quilt. Baby fabric is so fun, and I found a wonderful selection of high quality fabrics at my local quilt shop. The first fabric that caught my eye was an adorable dancing girl fabric from the “Kiki’s Play Day” collection by Polly Ann Blythe for Camelot Cottons.

With this fabric in hand, I quickly selected several different fabrics (some from the same collection) which incorporated pink and the softest of greens. I decided I would cut my fabrics to 4.5″ squares and stitch them together in rows; then fussy cut a strip of the dancing girls to piece in the middle of the quilt. I chose another fabric from the same collection (bubbles in soft green) to bind the entire quilt. Here are some more photos (click on any photo to enlarge):

DancingGirls.BabyQuilt012009-09-18 DancingGirls.BabyQuilt022009-09-18

DancingGirls.BabyQuilt052009-09-18

Here is the back detail where I used some left over fabric to make more 4.5″ squares and added another strip of the dancing girl fabric. I used a soft, textured pink fabric for the majority of the back piece. You can also see in this photo the “in the ditch” quilting.

DancingGirls.BabyQuilt102009-09-18

DancingGirls.BabyQuilt072009-09-18This quilt measures 35.75″ X 42.25″ – the perfect size to tuck into a crib. All it needs now is a hand stitched label on the back and it will be ready to wrap up and send off to Indiana where a sweet baby girl lives!

1. That is just gorgeous! I love the colors and the fabrics. What a beautiful gift that will definitely be treasured.

• Kathy on September 18, 2009 at 16:06

What a wonderful gift to last a lifetime. It’s gorgeous.

• Diane on September 18, 2009 at 16:38

What a gift to be treasured. Just beautiful 🙂

• Ceri on September 18, 2009 at 16:41

That really is absolutely gorgeous. <3 Something that is bound to last a lifetime.

• Teddy on September 18, 2009 at 16:58

That is so sweet. It’s something from you that she can cherish.

• Kim on September 18, 2009 at 17:07

What a sweet, sweet gift! That is truly something she will be able to treasure or a long time. I love the fabrics you chose….
    *smiles*
    Kim

• Verbatim on September 18, 2009 at 17:07

Oh, I love it! Most of my projects these days are baby quilts because the fabrics are so wonderful, and they’re small, quick projects. I really, really like the fussy cut strip.

• Laura on September 18, 2009 at 17:26

Nice work Wendy! I still have baby quilts my mom made, for my daughters, and twin-size bed quilts that came later. They’re very special.

2. Wendy, this is just gorgeous. If I were the new mother, I would want to preserve it forever and ever. I love it!

• Lori L on September 19, 2009 at 09:33

OH! That’s just lovely! What a priceless, adorable gift!

• Anna on September 19, 2009 at 10:17

How beautiful! That’s a one-of-a-kind gift that I hope they treasure forever.

• Kristi on September 21, 2009 at 14:10

Awww…How cute is that? You did a great job with the colors – love them! I’m sure the baby and her parents will just love it.

3. Love, love, love it!! Great color combination and that little girl dancing pattern is so whimsical and cute. Gee, I think you should make a bunch of these and start selling them on Etsy. I’d be tempted to buy a few for baby gifts. I certainly don’t have the talent to make on myself! I’m very much impressed, Wendy.

4. Oh what a beautiful quilt!

• Wendy on September 26, 2009 at 07:01

Thank you, everyone! This was such a fun quilt to make…quick and easy…and the fabrics were so sweet I loved working with them.

Les: You know, I opened an Etsy shop, but have nothing there yet *laughs* I was thinking that I might at some point try to sell some things, but I feel like I have to get better at quilting before I put one up for sale! I’ll let you know if it ever happens 🙂

• Kathy McA on October 4, 2009 at 08:37

I’m so happy to find you and your lovely quilts today! I’ve been struggling trying to decide whether I could make a quilt. My first grandson arrived a month ago and I so wanted to do one but just couldn’t get myself started. I don’t own a sewing machine, for starters. Seeing your beautiful quilts inspires me to run over to the quilt store today and start thinking while I am looking at those luscious fabrics.

• Kathy McA on October 4, 2009 at 08:39

I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t sell your quilts. Price them according to their quality and beauty. I should think the hardest thing would be to part with them, though!

• Wendy on October 7, 2009 at 06:45

Kathy: So glad you found my blog! I would encourage you to make a quilt…I only started quilting in June of this year…and thought I couldn’t do it until I tried. If you DO make one, take a class in quilting first…or have a friend who quilts help you. There are some tricks to make things easier…and quilters always want to help! I will probably make up some baby quilts in the new year and see if they sell on Etsy…I’m a little nervous because I see quilters out there who are far more talented than I am! I find if I know ahead of time that a quilt is going to someone else, I have no trouble parting with it 🙂 Hope you’ll visit again!

• Kathy McA on October 7, 2009 at 19:40

Thanks for the advice. I look forward to learning here, too!

• Wendy on October 11, 2009 at 07:19