Women Unbound Start of Challenge Meme

womenunboundEva is asking participants in this challenge to do a quick start 0f challenge meme.

1. What does feminism mean to you? Does it have to do with the work sphere? The social sphere? How you dress? How you act?

I grew up in the midst of the woman’s movement and feminism has a pretty broad meaning to me. I was raised by a strong, professional mother (she earned her degree in nursing and later went on to become National School Nurse of the Year). Most people think about women’s rights in the workplace, and yes, that is important…but I think it really is more than that. To me, feminism speaks of a woman’s strengths in whatever she chooses to do…whether it be a professional position, a mom, an artist, a spokeswoman, etc… Woman bring compassion, empathy and courage to our world. They consistently reach out to others. Having the freedom to be who we dream of being is a big part of feminism. Many women are not living where they are free – and yet the feminist movement continues in these countries through many different means. To me, feminism represents the courage of women, the striving to be able to pursue our dreams, and the battle to ensure our safety in a world which does not always recognize the rights of women.

2. Do you consider yourself a feminist? Why or why not?

Yes, I do (read my definition above!) I don’t burn my bras, but I speak out on issues I think are important to women (really issues that are important to all people). I am inspired by the women out there who are making a difference in our world, who have fought against injustice, and survived some pretty horrible things. I also consistently vote for government representatives who support women’s issues.

3. What do you consider the biggest obstacle women face in the world today? Has that obstacle changed over time, or does it basically remain the same?

Wow, that’s a tough question to narrow down. I guess I would have to say freedom of choice…and by that I mean, being able to be in charge of our own bodies, escaping from abusive situations, and having economic freedom. I think that has been an ongoing challenge for women. There is still a lot of sexism in the world. Our laws do not always protect women. We find ourselves continuing to face threats to our freedoms. I don’t see this as something that is changing very quickly.

• kailana on October 30, 2009 at 09:14

Oh, I think I will do this meme tonight! Great answers! 🙂

1. Great answers! I too think choice is really one of our greatest issues these days!

2. I think that you said this beautifully!

• Jodie on October 30, 2009 at 11:03

Love your answers and I already love this challenge. What a great way to start, by asking everyone what feminism means to them.

• Aarti on October 30, 2009 at 11:38

Love your answers! I think this meme will be really interesting, seeing how people respond to the different aspects. I agree that choice is huge for women; I think women inherently (and this is making a generalization of a tall order, I know) have to consider many more complexities and “what ifs?” when they make important decisions in their lives. Whether they’ll have a family, have children, work full-time, work part-time, etc., etc. And the flexibility, while it’s making inroads, just isn’t there yet. Or maybe it’s not possible, I don’t know.

• Sherrie on October 30, 2009 at 16:32

Hi!
    First off, thanks for posting about this reading challenge. I went right over and signed up. We basically agree on all three questions. I have to agree on women having a freedom of choice. Sometimes our life styles gets in the way of that. Have a great day!

Sherrie
    Just Books

• Katrina on October 31, 2009 at 02:01

Great answers very elegantly expressed.

• Wendy on October 31, 2009 at 08:29

Kailana: Thanks! This was a fun one to do.

Amy Reads: Glad we agree!

Tracie: Thank you!

Jodie: I was excited to see this challenge pop up…I think it is going to be a really fun one!

Aarti: Oh, I agree completely…women’s lives are very complex what with balancing family, personal, work…we want it all, yet it is such a challenge to keep it all in balance, isn’t it? Thanks for hosting this challenge…what an awesome challenge!

Sherrie: Glad my post encouraged you to sign up! This should be fun!

Katrina: Why thank you!

3. AMEN to everything you said above! I just joined this challenge myself, and am very excited to get reading, and see what everyone else chooses!

• Care on October 31, 2009 at 17:26

Thank you for sharing your answers to this meme! I appreciate your thoughts.

• Wendy on November 6, 2009 at 07:51

Elizabeth: I love reading everyone’s answers to this meme…and am also looking forward to seeing the books everyone chooses to read.

Care: My pleasure!

• Heather on November 9, 2009 at 15:37

Wonderful and thought-provoking answers! Glad to see you’re on board as well!

4. CM –
    I liked and support your answers! Now to find your book list. 🙂
    Looking forward to your reviews.
    Shellie

• Wendy on November 20, 2009 at 08:39

Heather: Thank you!

Shellie: Hope you were able to find my book list 🙂 I keep seeing everyone else’s and in my mind I am adding more to my list!! *laughs*