Sewing on Saturday

QueenQuilt.03I have been sewing today…specifically I am piecing a queen sized quilt top for our bed. I am loving this quilt with its rich reds and beautiful floral theme. The primary fabric is from Anna Griffin’s Flora collection. I hope to get the whole top pieced today except for the borders because I am going to a free class on Wednesday to learn how to do mitered borders.

Later on, I’m going to settle in and continue reading John Irving’s latest novel: Last Night In Twisted River … which I am loving.

Are you working on any crafty projects this weekend? Does the fall weather inspire you to create?

Tell me what you’re doing today!

*Click on any photo to enjoy a larger view.

QueenQuilt.01 QueenQuilt.02 QueenQuilt.04

• Vasilly on October 31, 2009 at 11:55

I don’t have any craft projects. I would love to learn how to make a quilt. Yours is beautiful! Have a great weekend.

• lenore on October 31, 2009 at 23:19

My mother used to make baby quilts with flannel. They were so soft!

1. How lovely! Quilting is on my life-list of things to do. Right now, I just knit. In fact, I have about three half-finished scarves calling out to me! 🙂

• Lori L on November 1, 2009 at 13:19

Beautiful! I’m going to have to make a new quilt for our bed sometime, probably after we move and I’m decorating a new master. I love our current quilt (faux suede one flower print, one brown) but I can see where it’s showing it’s age now.

• Allie on November 2, 2009 at 07:11

I love those colors! I am hoping to teach myself how to make a quilt this year. I’m going to start with old clothes scraps for now. The idea of practicing on beautiful fabric is a little daunting.

• Teddy on November 4, 2009 at 21:27

That is a beautiful quilt top. I LOVE your colour choices!

• Wendy on November 6, 2009 at 07:41

Vasilly: Thanks! Quilting is actually not all that hard…it just takes a little time and being careful as you sew…you should try it; I bet you’d love it!

Lenore: I haven’t sewed a quilt with flannel yet…but I’ve been thinking about it. I also love the softness!

Amy: Oh, I love knitting. I don’t do it so much anymore, but I used to make these big, bulky sweaters when I lived in Maine…they were made of wool and so warm!

Lori: Your quilt sounds gorgeous! There is nothing quite like sleeping beneath a quilt you’ve made.

Allie: Don’t be afraid to use beautiful fabrics!! (Although making scrap quilts I would think would be really fun too!).

Teddy: Thank you!