Authors: On Writing

I am always interested in what authors have to say about HOW they write and the craft of writing a novel. I found some interesting videos on You Tube which I hope you’ll enjoy!

John Irving: On Writing

Joyce Carol Oates: On Writing Characters

Stephen King: How You Know When You are a Writer

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Danger of the Single Story

• Kailana on November 7, 2009 at 10:13

I never think to look this sort of stuff up. Thanks for sharing!

• Verbatim on November 7, 2009 at 10:18

Really nice selection of comments. I didn’t begin listening to the Adichie thinking I would make it through the whole thing, but she was fascinating and I couldn’t help myself. (There is so much inspiration on the TED web site.) Thanks!

• Pam on November 7, 2009 at 15:41

These are great! I adore Irving and his thoughts. :O)

• Typ0 on November 8, 2009 at 00:51

Stephen King’s comments cracked me up!! “You put down some book and say ‘This really sucks!'” LOL

• Wendy on November 9, 2009 at 08:18

Kailana: You’re welcome! I just was having some fun on You Tube 🙂

Verbatim: *laughs* I almost didn’t include Adichie’s because I thought it was too long…but like you, once I started listening to her speak, I couldn’t stop.

Pam: I love Irving. Period. *laughs*

Typ0: I laughed out loud when I heard Stephen King’s comment – had to include it!

1. I love Stephen King’s comments! Every time that I hear him speak, I find him more interesting and fascinating. He really is an amazing writer.

2. Thanks for sharing these videos. I really enjoyed Stephen King’s On Writing

• Wendy on November 20, 2009 at 08:35

Tracie: I agree – King is one of the best writers! He has gotten some grief from literary writers saying he is not a good writer…but anyone who can hold my attention from beginning to end, scare me to death, and create such memorable characters is awesome in my opinion!!!

Serena: I think just about everyone loved King’s video 🙂 Glad you enjoyed the post!