Mailbox Monday – November 9, 2009

mailboxMonday1Welcome to another edition of Mailbox Monday hosted weekly by Marcia at The Printed Page. This event encourages bloggers to post about the books which arrived in their mailboxes in the last week. I have been requesting and accepting fewer books lately, but this week I got some pretty incredible books to read.

RosesRoses, by Leila Meacham came from Miriam at Little Brown and Company (Hachette Books). It is a chunkster (more than 600 pages) and a family saga which is due for release in January 2010. Set in East Texas during the twentieth century, the novel centers around two families – one immersed in the cotton industry, the other involved in the lucrative timber business. I love family sagas and this one was hard to turn down. Kathy over at Bermuda Onion wrote a terrific post about Leila Meacham in September. Roses is Meacham’s debut novel.

WhenSheFlewWhen She Flew, by Jennie Shortridge arrived direct from the author (and autographed too). I accepted this book for a TLC Book Tour in December – so you’ll be able to read my review of it on December 29th. When She Flew is Shortridge’s fourth novel and was inspired by true events. The story centers around an Iraq war veteran raising his daughter in the wild, and the single mom/policewoman who is ordered to separate them. Publisher’s Weekly writes: ‘Examining people willing to sidestep the rules in pursuit of a greater good, Shortridge’s fourth novel recalls Barbara Kingsolver’s Pigs in Heaven‘ Learn more about Shortridge and her work on the author’s website.

Home RepairHome Repair, by Liz Rosenberg arrived direct from the author (also autographed). Rosenberg’s debut adult novel (she has previously published award-winning books for young readers) is about Eve, a middle-aged woman who first must deal with the tragic death of her first husband, and then (thirteen years later) the abandonment of her second husband who walks out on her in the middle of a garage sale. Faced with raising two kids on her own while dealing with her difficult mother, Eve just ‘might end up discovering that she’s gained much more than she’s lost.Home Repair has been called compelling and immensely satisfying…it looks like my type of book. Read more about Rosenberg and her work at Harper Collins website.

PassportThe Passport, by Herta Muller arrived from Meryl Zegarek Public Relations. Muller won the 2009 Nobel Prize for Literature for her body of work so I am very interested in this slim novella (it spans less than 100 pages). Translated from the German by Martin Chalmers, The Passport has been called “sparse,”brilliant,” and “poetic.” Set in a small Romanian village, the story centers on Windisch, the village miller, who wishes to migrate to West Germany to escape the hopelessness of Ceausescu’s dictatorship. Muller is a Romanian-born, German novelist, poet, and essayist who is known for her politically controversial writings (specifically about life under the repressive regime of Nicolae Ceausescu, the Soviet imposed communist regime of Romania, and the persecution of Romanian ethnic Germans by the occupying forces of Stalinist troups). Born in 1953, she has been an internationally-known author since the early 1990s and has won numerous literary prizes and awards. I expect we will begin seeing more of her work here in the United States.

What arrived at your house this week? To see other readers’ mailboxes, visit Marcia today at the Printed Page.

• Jenners on November 9, 2009 at 08:33

These all sound really promising! You got a lovely set of books this week.

1. All four books sound good. I’m off to put them all on my wish list! Love the cover on Roses! I hope you enjoy them all!

• Amanda on November 9, 2009 at 09:43

These are dangerous posts. Just added Roses and The Passport to my TBR wish list. Thanks!! 🙂

• Kathy on November 9, 2009 at 11:48

Wow, you had a great week. I get books from Meryl Zegarek from time to time, but didn’t get The Passport, but I think it looks good. Thanks for the link love!

• Lexi on November 9, 2009 at 16:09

Didn’t Herta Mueller just win the Nobel Prize for Literature or something like that? That novella sounds interesting. Added it to the TBR list!

• Mary on November 9, 2009 at 16:26

Roses sounds good.

• Frances on November 9, 2009 at 16:55

Just received The Lacuna but am envying you your Herta Mueller. Happy reading!

• Staci on November 9, 2009 at 17:32

They all look great!! I’m really interested in reading When She Flew, the storyline just talks to me for some reason!! Enjoy and I look forward, as always, to reading your thoughts on these!

2. Man, you did well this week, too. I think I got one book last week, but I’m trying really hard to not let too much in until I get a little more caught up around here.

3. I snagged an ARC of Roses at work a month or so ago. And it’s still sitting on a guest room nightstand… argh!

Home Repair has a wonderful cover and the plot really appeals to me. This one’s been out for a while, right?

I need to give up sleep and start reading more. Work is really interfering with my reading these days.

4. Great week! Roses looks really good.

5. Looks like you got some great books. Happy reading

• Anna on November 10, 2009 at 18:09

What a bunch of great-sounding books! I’m looking forward to your thoughts on Roses. Love the cover, and love family sagas. Happy reading!

6. I’m looking forward to When She Flew which was in mailbox as well. It’ll be fun to be on the tour with you!

• Wendy on November 12, 2009 at 07:31

Jenners: I agree!

Beth: Thanks! I will look forward to your thoughts on them someday 🙂

Amanda: LOL! That TBR pile never gets smaller, does it?

Kathy: I’m looking forward to The Passport…and although it is really short, it looks like it could be a challenging read. You’re welcome for the link 😉

Lexi: Yes…she did 🙂

Mary: I agree!

Frances: Oh, I’m envying you The Lacuna!!! Can’t wait to get my hands on that one 🙂

Staci: I agree about When She Flew – I’m looking forward to that one too.

Susan: I know what you mean…I’ve really cut back on what I accept.

Les: Yes, Home Repair has been out for a little while now. Roses is a chunkster…but it looks like a quick read – I’ll look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

Stephanie: I agree…Roses looks fun!

Serena: Thanks!

Anna: I hope to get to Roses sooner rather than later 🙂

Bellezza: I always look forward to your reviews…will be interested to read your thoughts on When She Flew!

• Lisa on November 13, 2009 at 20:45

A friend just read When She Flew and loved it. I’m looking forward to it!

• Wendy on November 20, 2009 at 08:41

Lisa: I love hearing when someone likes a book I have in my stacks!!! I am hoping I love the book as well 🙂