Weekly Geeks 2009-43: The Best of 2009

weeklygeeksHere is what Literary Escapism writes:

For the second year running, welcome to the Weekly Geeks Book Bloggers Top 10 of 2009.

You always see these “Top Whatever” lists that the newspapers/publishers put out and, for a second year in a row, we the book bloggers are going to put out our own Top 10 list. This week, the Weekly Geeks team and I are asking you to come up with your own Top 10 Books that were published in 2009 (books that were reprinted or re-released are not eligible, sorry).

Now, the idea is to only choose books that were published in 2009, regardless of what country you live in. If a book was released in the US in 2008, but released in your country in 2009, that’s okay. I know there is still a month in a half left of 2009, but if you know there is a book coming out between now and Dec. 31st, then it’s still eligible.

This year, I am also asking for something a little more specific. When you submit your novels, you must include the genre it is from as well. Last year, when I was trying to categorize everything, I had to guess on a lot of novels and I know there were some people who disagreed with my choice. If there are any contradictions in genres (say if a book was selected for two genres), then the Weekly Geek Staff will vote on where it goes (please?).

If you see a Top 10 list somewhere else, add it to the Mr. Linky, even if they aren’t a part of Weekly Geeks. We’re trying to gather as many lists as we can, so we can come up with a nice comprehensive list. You’ll have two weeks to come up with your list before I begin compiling the voting booths. Then we’ll put it to a vote. Last year, we ended up with over 1300 individual voters and I know we can make it just as big this year.

So what are your top 10 books of 2009?

I read a lot of great books published this year and expect to squeeze a few others in before the year ends, but this is my top ten as of today:

1. A Disobedient Girl, by Ru Freeman (Literary Fiction)
  2. Last Night In Twisted River, by John Irving (Literary Fiction)
  3. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett (Historical Fiction)
  4. The Mechanics of Falling, by Catherine Brady (Short Story Collection)
  5. Last Night in Montreal, by Emily St. John Mandel (Literary Fiction/Contemporary Fiction)
  6. Cleopatra’s Daughter, by Michelle Moran (Historical Fiction)
  7. Everyone is Beautiful, by Katherine Center (Women’s Fiction)
  8. The Laws of Harmony, by Judith Ryan Hendricks (Women’s Fiction)
  9. Love Begins in Winter: Five Stories, by Simon Van Booy (Short Story Collection)
  10. The Cradle, by Patrick Somerville (Contemporary Fiction)

**A side note given the latest controversy surrounding the Publisher’s Weekly Top Ten and their failure to name a book written by a female author: MY top ten included SEVEN books written by women!

1. Great list! The only one I’ve read is The Help, but I’m making a note of your list and hope to read all but the short stories in 2010.

• Kathy on November 23, 2009 at 07:33

The only one I’ve read is The Cradle, but I have several of the others in my TBR pile.

• Care on November 23, 2009 at 09:42

I just bought Love Begins in Winter! I’m very excited to read this.

2. Off your list, I have only read The Help, but it will definitely be on my list for this year’s top books too.

• lenore on November 23, 2009 at 11:14

I just finished THE HELP and adored it. Will def. appear in my top 10, even though it’s been a great reading year and it has a lot of competition!!

3. Thanks so much for including my book on your Top Ten! Very honored! And yes–I noticed all the women on your list. I’m all for boys, but it’s great to see the girls get some love, too!!

• Typ0 on November 23, 2009 at 11:49

I didn’t realize quite how many of your recommendations i had read until i saw this list. Thanks for improving my reading in 2009! 🙂

4. The Help made my list too. I expect to see it on a LOT of lists :-). I wanted to like The Laws of Harmony more than I did, and that one still bothers me a little. A few of your other picks are on my wishlist. It’s been a pretty good reading year!

5. Take THAT, EW!

6. Wonderful list. I have to read a few of those!

Weekly Geeks: Top Books of 2009

• Wendy on December 9, 2009 at 14:04

Jackie: I hope you’ll love all these books as much as I did 🙂

Kathy: Happy reading!!

Care: Oh, I hope you really love the short stories…they are wonderful, in my opinion!

Stephanie: I really loved The Help.

Lenore: I don’t think I’ve read a bad review of The Help…

Katherine: Us women have to stick together *laughs* My pleasure to include your book in my top 10 – LOVE your books…and can’t wait to read the next one 🙂

Typ0: *Laughs* You are quite welcome … I think you’ve improved my reading too!

Florinda: I agree – fantastic books out in 2009. Hope 2010 is as great!

J.T. : LOL!

Gautami: Thanks…Liked your list too 🙂

7. Love the list, and especially love your effort to recognize all the wonderful woman authors out there! My list was about half women authors as well, including Margaret Atwood and Lisa See, two of my favorites!

• Wendy on December 28, 2009 at 09:36

Megan: Oh, I also love See and Atwood!