One Year…

tree-leavesdeweyToday, one year ago, the blogging world changed. We said good-bye to one of ours – a person so unique, so warm, so giving…that it seemed impossible she could be gone.

I woke up this morning and remembered my shock one year ago when I learned Dewey had died. One moment she was there. The next moment she was gone. Just like that. It reminded me how tenuous life is…how fragile our connections can be.

I miss Dewey. I miss her enthusiasm, her selflessness, her joy, her humor. I just miss her.

Things changed a year ago. The blogging community lost a thrumming energy that ran through its heart. I am glad Dewey’s memory is being kept alive through her amazing community building projects. Her spirit of what makes our community special is still with us…and for that, I am so grateful. I always wonder what Dewey’s reaction would be to all of this (the tributes, the ongoing events in her name, etc…) – and I imagine she would smile, be proud, probably make a self-deprecating joke…because Dewey was not one to pump herself up and take all the credit…she was a giver who rejoiced in bringing people together.

Dewey, we still miss you terribly; but we remember your message and we’re trying to live up to the challenge you put before us when you were here.

Read other tributes today:

Are you remembering Dewey today? If so, please leave me a link to your post in the comments and I’ll add it here.

• Debi on November 25, 2009 at 10:50

Yeah, I just miss her, too. 🙁

Thanks for this beautiful post, Wendy.

• Amanda on November 25, 2009 at 11:46

Thank you!

I posted mine here: http://lifeandtimesofanewnewyorker.blogspot.com/2009/11/dewey-you-are-missed.html

I still miss her and still can’t believe her blog is gone too.

• Wendy on November 25, 2009 at 13:33

Debi: Thanks for stopping in…tough day, isn’t it?

Amanda: Thanks for giving me your link to add…her absence feels really heavy today.

• Nymeth on November 25, 2009 at 13:44

What a beautiful post, Wendy. It left me teary-eyed. She was definitely not one to make things abut herself – she was generous in the truest sense of the word. One of many reasons why she was and is so loved.

• Wendy on November 25, 2009 at 14:00

Nymeth: *nods* Thanks for stopping by…Dewey always seemed to deflect praise about herself, didn’t she?

• Staci on November 25, 2009 at 14:09

I had just started blogging and only knew Dewey a short time. Lovely tribute!

• Eva on November 25, 2009 at 15:16

You’re so right Wendy. And you managed to say a lot of what I’m feeling, only so much better.

1. I didn’t know Dewey. But I feel like she even lives on in me and all of the “second wave” bloggers.

• Kathy on November 25, 2009 at 17:36

Beautiful post. I was just getting to know Dewey when she passed away and feel that I missed knowing someone truly special.

• Vasilly on November 25, 2009 at 20:01

I’ve been thinking about Dewey all month. It now seems like November is her month. I’ve just been thinking about all of the great things she did for this community. I’ve been dipping into The Grapes of Wrath since that was her favorite book. Great tribute.

2. Lovely post, Wendy. We all miss her so much, but I think she’d be proud of us as a community because of all the stuff we’ve been doing in the last year – read-a-thons, BBAW, Weekly Geeks, etc. She was all about the community and I think she’d be thrilled at how we’ve continued to build it this past year.

3. No way it’s been a year already? Wow. I wish I had realized that myself on the appointed day so I could have lit a candle or something. 🙁

• Ariel on November 29, 2009 at 14:21

Such has been my total, lengthy blog absence that I only learned about this today. Absolutely heartbreaking. I don’t even know what to say.

• Wendy on December 6, 2009 at 18:31

Staci: Thanks…I’m sorry you didn’t get to know her better…she was really special.

Eva: I thought your tribute was beautiful…

J.T.: I agree – her spirit is still here. I wish you could have known her.

Kathy: Thank you…yes, she was really special. And so missed now…

Vasilly: I know what you mean – the fall seems to be Dewey’s time of the year. I always tried to participate in the October Read-A-Thon…and her holiday posts were always special. Glad you’re enjoying Grapes of Wrath.

Heather: I agree – I think Dewey must be smiling down on us.

Callista: It is hard to believe a year has passed, isn’t it?

Ariel: I am sorry you are just getting the news…it was and is a heartbreaking loss. I was the same as you when I first learned she was gone – speechless.