December 6, 2009
Good morning, fellow readers. I missed last week’s Sunday Salon…and have been feeling a bit overwhelmed with life these days. I had meant to participate in the Read-Read-Read-A-Thon hosted by Dreadlock Girl, but then I had to work and the day got away from me.
This morning we woke up to frost on the ground and a temperature of 14 degrees! They are predicting snow for later today although right now the sky is clear and there is no sign of precipitation. Kip is out hanging Christmas lights, and the dogs are full of themselves (the cold weather really gets them excited). I plan on baking some bread later, quilting a bit, and reading some more from Kristin Lavransdatter.
Since I last posted a Sunday Salon, I’ve finished reading a few books:
- Crossed Wires by Rosy Thornton (read my review) was delightful…a wonderful read for this time of the year.
- The Passport by Herta Muller (read my review) is a dense, complex book for one which is less than 100 pages. I ended up really appreciating Muller’s writing, although the novella is not easy to understand or read.
- The Superstress Solution by Roberta Lee MD (read my review) was just what the doctor ordered! There was plenty of good advice in this self-help book – which I think I need to start employing!
- Book I (The Wreath) of Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset (read my review) was terrific. I love historical fiction and this first part of Undset’s trilogy was magnificent. I am continuing on with the saga and am about 1/2 way through Book II (The Wife) now. Stay tuned for a review of Book II by mid-week.
On the short stack for the rest of December are probably more books than I can read…but here they are:
- Book III (The Cross) of Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset
- Fire in the Blood, by Irene Nevirovsky
- Paradise of the Blind, by Duong Thu Huong
- When She Flew, by Jennie Shortridge (to be toured here on December 29th through TLC Book Tours – I will also be doing a giveaway of this book at that time…so come back and enter to win!)
- Digging to America, by Anne Tyler
- In the Wake of the Boatman, by Jonathon Scott Fuqua
- Persepolis I and II, by Marjane Satrapi
- The Year of the Flood, by Margaret Atwood
- Sacred Hearts, by Sarah Dunant
I’ve started perusing challenges for next year…and have signed up for several already. Are you an addict of reading challenges? Be sure to check out my other blog A Novel Challenge to find all the latest reading challenges being hosted around the blog-o-sphere. It has been an effort just to keep up these days!
I hope to be posting some updates this week on my quilting efforts, as well as some new photos of Raven (who is quite a young lady now…but still full of mischief at nearly 11 months old).
For those of you who have been kind enough to leave comments on my blog in the last couple of weeks…my apologies for my lack of response. I do still intend to respond to each of you (promise!) and I truly appreciate your thoughts and readership.
What are you doing today? Whatever it is, I hope it involves a great book!