First Snow

FirstSnow2.20092009-12-04

We woke up this morning to the first real snow of the season – only about an inch…but, it was a surprise and then a delight for Raven who has never experienced the white stuff before. She initially stood on the deck with a concerned look on her face. Then Argus sauntered off into the yard and she followed. She jumped, leaped and sprinted around the yard at top speed, scooping snow into her mouth as she went. Chasing a frisbee in the snow is apparently lots of fun…

(All photos are clickable to enjoy a larger view)

FirstSnow3.20092009-12-04 FirstSnow.20092009-12-04

FirstSnow5.20092009-12-04 FirstSnow6.20092009-12-04

Argus preferred basking in the sun to romping through the snow:

Dec.20092009-12-04

And the cats? Well, fireside is their favorite place on a cold wintry day:

The Girls.10.20092009-10-24

• Kathy on December 7, 2009 at 13:24

Our Milou is small and has rarely seen snow, so she does not like it at all! I love the pictures of your dogs enjoying it.

• Jeane on December 7, 2009 at 14:34

We just had our first snow, too. Our older cat just wants to stay inside curled up in warm spots. The kitten jumps out in the snow, saunters off and would keep on going if I didn’t run out and grab her!

Raven sure is all grown up! I love how her left ear still flops over a bit at the tip in some of those photos. So endearing.

• Jeane on December 7, 2009 at 14:40

We just had our first snow recently, too. My older cat just wants to stay inside in the warm spots. Our kitten has never seen snow and was intrigued- we let her out to see what she’d do and she made a beeline across the yard, didn’t look back! I had to run grab her.

Raven is so grown up now! I love that her one ear tip still flops a bit in some of those pictures. So endearing!

• EL Fay on December 7, 2009 at 15:32

We just had our first snow too. As they’ve done for the past decade, my two Lab mixes barked at it and then remembered what it was.

I love how you arranged the photos: happy doggies playing in the snow, and then the pampered, disapproving cats.

• J.G. on December 7, 2009 at 15:38

Raven is so cute, with that inquisitive puppy face. How she has grown!

1. Isn’t it fun to watch dogs frolic in the snow? Annie loves it! We had a storm last night and got a few inches. This is actually our second storm this season (we had snow the first weekend in October!) and we’re due for quite a big one tomorrow. Could be blizzard conditions. I don’t mind as long as it’s mild on the 25th when we fly to Sanibel Island!

Stay safe & warm!

• Sari on December 7, 2009 at 16:05

We got our first snow too. We had around 3 feet. The cats are confused and I stayed home with Alex.
    I miss having a dog to play with. Bubba enjoyed the snow and I enjoyed watching him catch snowballs.

• Molly on December 7, 2009 at 16:10

I absolutely love the pup’s first introduction to snow! Our Ralfie made us go out with him as he just didn’t know how to handle this unfamiliar substance under his paws. Jude thought that the snow made a great in-between meal snack. Miss Princess Bella just pranced around yard.

We haven’t had our first snow – yet. We are supposed to get 1-2 inches tonight (probably the same system that gave you the first snow) and I am very excited to see how well the dogs remember the frosty sensation.

2. I’m with the cats! We don’t have snow up here in Seattle yet but we do have unseasonably cold weather and it’s been so hard to keep warm!

• Jeane on December 7, 2009 at 19:35

Oops, so sorry for the double comment. I skipped off the page before it was done loading info and thought it hadn’t gone through. Delete the duplicate, if you like.

3. LOL – She looks like she is having a ball – wish I could be playing in the snow with her 🙂

• Amanda on December 8, 2009 at 05:42

I love the photos! Puppy firsts are so great. I remember Charlie’s first experience with rain. He kept trying to pounce on the droplets on the sidewalk. Too funny. Hope the cats are staying nice and toasty!

4. Great pictures. Its fun how different dogs react to snow. Charlee has always loved snow. he saw the stuff for the first time and had to dive into it and disappear as a pup. He used to romp in my parents’ backyard when they had several feet of snow and he would disappear and tunnel, pop out and disappear again. It was always fun. I don’t get much snow in Maryland, so he doesn’t get that opportunity much.

• J. Kaye on December 8, 2009 at 15:50

Love it! Can you believe we have snow here, in Louisiana? It didn’t last, but that’s two years in a row.

• Teddy on December 8, 2009 at 20:59

So cute! I wish you could bottle all of your wonderful furchildren. LOL! It will be interesting to see what DJ thinks of the snow, if we get any this year. He hates the rain. I had to get him a rain coat. LOL! Silly Sheltie!

• Wendy on December 9, 2009 at 13:31

Kathy: Milou might like it if she got used to it…although she doesn’t have the thick coat that Raven has, so maybe it is the cold that turns her off!!

Jeane: Kittens are so curious, aren’t they? Our cats don’t even think about venturing outside in this weather! No worries about the double post…I’ll go in later and delete one of them 🙂

El Fay: LOL re: the labs barking at the snow!! They are so funny! The cats think those dogs are just ridiculous 🙂

J.G.: She looks all grown up, but she is still a wild child…quite the puppy head 🙂

Les: Lucky you going to Sanibel Island! Yes, I love to watch the dogs frolic in the snow…did you get the big blizzard? We are supposed to get a decent sized storm over the weekend.

Sari: I am sorry you are missing your pup 🙁 I found myself thinking of Caribou too since she LOVED the snow. It is hard to believe she was with us at this time last year.

Molly: It is always so funny to see the different reactions, isn’t it? Snow is one of the substances that must be just baffling to a dog for the first time (it certainly was for Raven!). Hope you got some of the white stuff…

• Wendy on December 9, 2009 at 13:34

Kristen: I must admit, I joined the cats for much of the day 🙂 I used to tolerate cold much better when I lived in New England…but since I’ve acclimated to the mild California weather, I’m much more of a weather wimp these days!

Sally: Her motto is to have fun at all costs!

Amanda: LOL about Charlie and the rain!

Serena: That is hilarious! My first german shepherd also liked to dive under the snow (this was back in Maine when we got feet of the stuff!) and I have some great photos of her with snow piled up on her nose!

J.Kaye: Wow, I never would have though Louisiana would EVER get snow!!!

Teddy: When are you going to post some photos of D.J.?!!?!? Would love to see more of him 🙂

• Teddy on December 11, 2009 at 21:52

Man Wendy, I am so behind in my blogging. I have new pictures of DJ and others photos to share. Hopefully I’ll find the time soon.

• Wendy on December 28, 2009 at 08:46

Teddy: I am TOTALLY behind in everything – especially responding to comments! I am looking forward to seeing your furbaby photos!