Sunday Salon – December 13, 2009

Sunday Salon

December 13, 2009

9:00 AM

Good morning – it is a cold, dreary day here in Northern California. It has been raining non stop for the last 24 hours and is supposed to continue through this evening. At some point today, Kip and I are heading into town to do some Christmas shopping – with only 12 more days until Christmas, my back is against the wall!

I had hoped to have Kristin Lavransdatter completed by now, but my reading really slowed down this week and I am still 30 pages from finishing book 2 (The Wife). At this rate, this may be the only book I finish this month!

For those of you who follow my blog, you may have noticed me scaling  back on certain things and dropping some perpetual challenges. My life lately has been filled with personal challenges…I am trying to keep my reading as stress-free as possible. I feel a strong need to streamline my commitments for 2010, especially since I am planning a big, year-long 2010 project which I will reveal sometime this week. It has been in the works for several months now and I am really excited about it. I hope you’ll check back later this week to learn all the details.

Argus.HappyBoyI have some sad news to share with you. Argus, our ten-year-old Golden Retriever is quite ill. He has really never been the same since Caribou died last January (they were absolutely inseparable), but we had noticed he was dropping a lot of weight, drinking tons of water, vomiting, and in general not himself this past week. We are still running some tests and consulting with the vet…but it is very likely that Argus has advanced cancer. This morning he would not eat his breakfast…which is a huge red flag for a Golden Retriever who likes nothing better than to eat. As you can imagine, this is a huge blow to us. Kip and I are feeling really sad and a bit helpless as to what we can do to keep him comfortable. I will keep you posted as I learn more about his condition.

My wish for all of you this holiday season is the love of family and friends, good health, and of course, great books. What are YOUR plans for today?

• diane on December 13, 2009 at 09:41

Wendy, I am so sorry to hear that yet another beloved pet has taken a turn for the worse. It is just as sad when we lose a fur family member as a human member. My thoughts and prayers are with you all 🙁

• Verbatim on December 13, 2009 at 09:50

Just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear that Argus is sick. I’m wishing the very best for you and Kip and Argus. I had my own experience with a very sick pet last January, so I know something of what you’re going through.

1. I’m so sad to hear Argus is sick. My best wishes for you all in dealing with this blow.

• Vasilly on December 13, 2009 at 10:45

Oh no, Wendy! I’m so sorry about Argus. Take care of yourselves. I’ll keep you all in my thoughts.

2. Aw, Wendy, that’s so sad. I’ll send some good wishes your way.

Do what you need to to keep yourself healthy and sane.

3. Southern California has gotten a good share of rain this weekend too. The sun is out now but it was pouring rain earlier this morning. I hope you are able to finish up your Christmas shopping–and stay warm!

I am so sorry to hear about Argus, Wendy. This on top of everything else you have been dealing with lately . . . My thoughts and prayers are with you (Argus and your sister too).

• Laura on December 13, 2009 at 12:19

Thinking of you, Wendy …

• Shonda on December 13, 2009 at 12:42

Wendy-

I’m so very sorry to hear about Argus! My thoughts are with you.

• Kathy on December 13, 2009 at 13:14

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about Argus. I can imagine how you’re feeling. I’ll be thinking about you.

• EL Fay on December 13, 2009 at 13:15

Oh no, I am so sorry about Argus! My Lab/Springer Spaniel mix is 11 and has gotten very skinny. She’s perfectly healthy otherwise but we are a bit concerned. But it’s also very possible that our other dog, an 80-lb behemoth (mostly Lab, a bit of Chow), is just eating most of her food. She also just ate an entire brand-new bag of chewies. The food dye turned her saliva pink and now her muzzle and front paws are also pink.

I hope Argus does okay over the next few weeks. I’ll keep him in my thoughts. Now that our two dogs are of advanced age (the other one is 10), I’ve started thinking more about their mortality and it’s very sad.

• Gavin on December 13, 2009 at 13:23

Wendy – I completely understand about scaling back on all kind of commitments. For me it is all about intention and completing things in a way I am comfortable with.
    I’m sorry to hear about Angus and hope he is comfortable through this passage. Be well..

4. Oh dear, I am SO sorry to hear about Argus. And you are right, when a golden retriever doesn’t eat his breakfast…well it isn’t a good thing. My thoughts will be with you.

• Molly on December 13, 2009 at 14:58

Oh Wendy — I am so so sorry. I will pray for healing and comfort — for all of you!

• Lisa on December 13, 2009 at 15:15

I’m so sorry to hear about Argus. My thoughts are with you.

• Lexi on December 13, 2009 at 16:20

I’m so so sorry to hear about Argus’ poor health. Thinking of y’all!

5. Oh, Wendy. I hate to hear this about Argus. You’re still recovering from your loss of Caribou! This is just so unfair. I’ll keep you guys in my thoughts in the coming days. Hugs to you.

Love, Les

• Kristen on December 13, 2009 at 18:22

Sending love out to you and to Argus!

• JoAnn on December 13, 2009 at 19:00

So sorry to hear Argus is not well…sending good thoughts your way.

• Nicole on December 13, 2009 at 19:45

Oh Wendy, sorry to hear about Argus. Hoping for the best for him and the both of you.

6. Oh Wendy!! I am so very very sorry to hear about Argus. Will be keeping all of you in my thoughts.

7. I am also very sorry to hear about Argus. If he could be healed by love alone, he would definitely be set. I hope that you are all able to come through this in the best way.

8. I’m so sorry about Argus and about all of the other challenges you are facing Wendy. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you true comfort this holiday season. *hugs*

9. Awwwwe Wendy – poor Argus.

I know you’ll do everything to make him comfortable – send virtual hugs your way and pats for Argus.

10. I am so sorry about Argus 🙁

• Amanda on December 14, 2009 at 06:58

O no! I hope your pup feels better!

• Wendy on December 14, 2009 at 08:13

Diane: Thanks – they are such a part of the family…this is a really tough thing to go through.

Verbatim: Thank you…I know people who have had beloved pets do understand how difficult this is. I appreciate your warm thoughts.

Rhapsody: Thank you for your kind words.

Vasilly: Thanks – it helps to know people are keeping us in their thoughts.

Elizabeth: Thank you – I think the hardest thing is making sure we take care of ourselves too.

WendyCat: I did manage to finish the Christmas shopping – now I have to get things wrapped and in the mail. Thanks for the good thoughts for my sister and Argus…it seems that things go bad all at once, doesn’t it?

Laura: *hugs*

Shonda: Thanks for your kind words.

• Wendy on December 14, 2009 at 08:18

Kathy: Thanks for your warm thoughts and kind words.

El Fay: It is so hard to watch our fur babies age. I had hoped Argus would give us a few more years…but he has really missed Caribou, and I think he does not have the heart to fight this. He has pretty much stopped eating, which is not a good sign.

Gavin: I think a lot of people are scaling back this year…the blog-o-sphere is fun but can get overwhelming too. Thanks for your kind words about Argus.

Samantha: Refusing his food was a huge red flag. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Molly: Thank you for your prayers. This has been a difficult month in more ways than one…

Lisa: Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Lexi: Thanks – it is hard to watch a beloved pet go downhill like this.

Les: *hugs back* Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a kind comment. Life just feels really unfair right now.

Kristen: Thank you for the love…

• Wendy on December 14, 2009 at 08:21

JoAnn: Thank you for your kind thoughts and words.

Nicole: Thanks for stopping by and your kind words.

Suzi: It has been a tough few days…thanks for thinking of us.

Kristen M: If only love were enough to heal all things. Thank you for your kind words.

Amy: *hugs back* Thank you for your kind words…

Sally: I gave Argus your hug and pats…he wagged his tail 🙂

Stephanie: Thank you…

Amanda: Thanks…

• Jenners on December 14, 2009 at 09:47

I’m so sorry to hear about Argus … I’m sure that is such a blow to you after losing so many of your other beloved furry friends.

And I understand about scaling back … I’m trying to control myself with challenges and all for the coming year. I’m excited to hear about your big project.

• Lori L on December 14, 2009 at 11:11

OH dear…. I’m so sorry to hear about Argus.

• Lu on December 14, 2009 at 12:02

Sending thoughts your way and I hope Argus is feeling better. I’m so sorry to hear that he’s sick 🙁

• Jeane on December 14, 2009 at 14:13

Very sorry to hear that Argus is ill. It’s so hard to watch your pets suffer in silence. I do hope you find a way to make him comfortable. Give him a hug for me!

11. I’m so sorry to hear that Argus is unwell 🙁 Hope you can keep him in as little pain as possible!

• Wendy on December 28, 2009 at 08:56

Jenners: Thanks for your kind words about Argus. Re: the “big project” – hope you’ll join us!

Lori: Thank you…

Lu: Thanks for your kind words.

Jeane: There is nothing worse than seeing your beloved furbaby in pain, is there?

Michelle: Thanks for your warm thoughts.