I have been so good for so long…and then I relapsed. First I went to Amazon and ordered books (but I justified that since I won a $40 gift certificate through one of my book groups); then today I decided to browse in Barnes and Noble … just to kill a little time. Uh oh…
So here is what arrived from Amazon:
- The Red Convertible: Selected and New Stories 1978-2008, by Louise Erdrich
- The Glass Room, by Simon Mawer
- Europa, by Tim Parks
And here is what came home with me from Barnes and Noble:
- The Mediterranean Caper, by Clive Cussler – A Dirk Pitt adventure. I had to buy this one…I’ve never read a Cussler novel and it is my sister’s favorite author!
- Eternal on the Water, by Joseph Monninger – from the book’s sleeve: ‘Set against the rugged wilderness of Maine, the exotic islands of Indonesia, the sweeping panoramas of Yellowstone National Park, and the tranquil villages of rural New England, Eternal on the Water is at once heartbreaking and uplifting – a timeless, beautifully rendered story of true love’s power.‘ I couldn’t resist this one – the cover is beautiful and it is partly set in Maine. SOLD!
- The Disappeared, by Kim Echlin – From The Chronicle Herald: ‘A dance of words…[full of] beauty, grace, sensuality, and power … Echlin is able, by imagination and art, to take the reader on a journey through eros and evil – a journey that travels into utter darkness but does not leave us in despair … A work of singular beauty.‘ Doesn’t that sound amazing?
I will never live long enough to read everything I want to read. What have you purchased impulsively lately?