Honest Scrap Award – 10 Things About Me

Sheri at A Novel Menagerie has presented me with the Honest Scrap Award:

This award apparently means that I blog straight from the heart.   I am supposed to share this award with 7 other bloggers as well as share 10 things about myself.

Ten things? Really? You want to know that much about me? Okay…if you twist my arm just a little…

1. I am an organization freak. I like to have folders and notebooks for everything. I organize my bookshelves alphabetically, by subject, by challenge, and by priority (it gets a little complicated sometimes because I am always changing things). Despite this obsessive-compulsive behavior, I am also a clutter bug. My counter-tops always need neatening. My house always needs dusting. I tend to pile my clothes up on chairs rather than hang them in the closet. A bit schizophrenic, isn’t it?
  2. My favorite food used to be lobster, followed closely by clam chowder and shrimp. Then one day, shortly after I passed my 40th birthday, I ate a lobster and blew up like a balloon. I now have a fatal allergy to all seafood. If I ever end up on death row, my last meal will be lobster and a shrimp cocktail.
  3. I drive like a crazy woman. It must be all those years living in Boston. When Kip drives, Raven sleeps like a lamb. When I drive she retches and gets car sick. The last time we took a road trip and I got behind the wheel, Kip cautioned Raven: “Watch out, Mommy’s driving.” I like to refer to my driving style as “assertive.”
  4. I love garbage television (bring on The Bachelor and America’s Next Top Model) almost as much as I love People Magazine. Don’t let all that literary fiction fool you!
  5. I hate olives.
  6. I am deathly afraid of spiders (and bees too). Everyone says they are friendly little creatures which help our gardens. All I know is that once a wolf spider reared up on his legs and made me run screaming down the hall, and another time a teeny (but hairy) little spider sprang off the wall to attack me. On more occasions than I can count a bee has stung me for no good reason.
  7. Deep down, past the painted toenails and nice clothes, I am really a tomboy who always preferred running around the neighborhood with the wild boys than playing with dolls. I am really happiest in ratty jeans, a t-shirt and bare feet.
  8. There is no animal I don’t relate to (except maybe skunks who insist on spraying my dogs). Strays are always showing up on my doorstep. I am helpless to turn them away. It is amazing I have not turned into a crazy cat woman yet. Luckily, I still have commonsense – I find homes for them instead of keeping them.
  9. I am the eternal optimist. I prefer to see potential in people rather than their weaknesses. I can’t seem to say no to anyone. If someone is in need, I want to take them home and fix their problems. This is not always a good thing. There are times I believe there is a neon sign tattooed across my forehead which reads “Sucker.” Despite this, I would rather believe in the good in people than see the bad in them.
  10. When people meet me they automatically think I am an extrovert. Perhaps it is because I talk so much (if you’ve met me, this is not an invitation to agree with me!).  But I am actually a person who is energized by alone time spent reading or being creative…so that technically makes me an introvert.

Thanks for tagging me, Sheri! This was fun. Although I am now supposed to tag seven people, I am feeling rather lazy today…instead, if you are reading this, feel free to play along…but make sure you come back and leave me a comment with a link to your post so I can get to know you a little better!

1. Your list is great, except for #5 – I love olives!

2. That’s awful about the seafood! It would be horrible to have that happen. I don’t know what I’ll feed you if you ever come to PEI to visit.

3. I have the same schizophrenic thing going on as your #1 – it’s really weird, isn’t it?!!! I also share some other traits, including #3. My ideal vehicle would be a Technical, which is one of those light tanks they use in the Middle East which has a gun turret mounted on the top (for use when, for example, a slow person is driving in the left lane).

• Sheri on March 16, 2010 at 10:57

I am the same with with the schizophrenic thing… TOTALLY! Also, I am definitely #10… where everybody thinks I’m an extrovert, but I’m really an introvert. Funny!

I love olives, as I do pickles.

I would die if I couldn’t eat shellfish.

I cannot say “no” to pets, hence the menagerie.

Hugs.

• Jeane on March 16, 2010 at 12:33

How odd that your seafood allergy showed up so suddenly- does that happen a lot? I think someday I will be known as a “crazy cat lady” but right now I only have two so I look normal… but I love all animals, too.

• Staci on March 16, 2010 at 12:58

thanks for sharing!! I loved reading all these tidbits about you….I too am a bit OCD with organizing at work, but not at home!!

4. This was a fun read! I’m not a big fan of olives either (or lobster, but I LOVE shrimp). Thanks for the chance to get to know you a little better!

• Molly on March 16, 2010 at 13:58

I think of myself as being well-organized, but not necessarily a clean freak 🙂 I HATE to dust!

I am shocked that you developed a seafood allergy so late in life – how terrible!

5. That is a bit scary about the lobster allergy!!! I didn’t know you could just up and develop something like that out of the blue.

• Allie on March 16, 2010 at 18:34

Wow, except for the shellfish allergy and the olive thing, this could pretty much be my list too. It’s uncanny! I am all about the organization tools/systems, etc, but still can’t keep clothes from ending up in places other than the closet, or keep the dog hair tumbleweeds from drifting around.

I’m so sorry to hear about the shellfish allergy! That has to be sad!

• Swati on March 17, 2010 at 18:33

I so understand this! – Deep down, past the painted toenails and nice clothes, I am really a tomboy who always preferred running around the neighborhood with the wild boys than playing with dolls. I am really happiest in ratty jeans, a t-shirt and bare feet.

And I have added your super blog to lifewordsmith’s list 🙂

6. Nobody ever mistakes me for an extrovert! (Actually, that’s not true; the odd introvert has.) Love your list, especially the death row comment and the crazy driving (which made me laugh)! I feel for poor Raven, though, as I suffer from motion sickness too.

Somebody passed on this award to me, so I’m working on my list!

7. Fun list of ten things! Come on, we Boston drivers get a bad rep! 🙂 (actually, I’m the polar opposite of the typical Boston driver, I’m like the little old lady who stays in the right-hand lane)

• Wendy on March 24, 2010 at 13:13

Kathy: I know I am really weird for hating olives – every now and then I try them again, but they always make me gag!

Elizabeth: It is horrible to be allergic to shellfish – BUT, I can eat regular fish, so never fear…if I get to PEI I am sure to find something I can eat!

Rhapsody: I laughed out loud at your car description! My thoughts exactly!!

Sheri: I’m not surprised we share some things in common (and I thought I would die when they told me I could never eat a lobster again!!!). Thanks for the tag!

Jeane: Apparently you can become allergic to anything at any time in your life. It surprised me too – and bummed me out!

Staci: I think it is funny how many of us are hyper organized in one way, but not in others!

• Wendy on March 24, 2010 at 13:18

Florinda: You’re welcome – it was fun for me to write! Glad to hear there is someone out there who also hates olives 🙂

Molly: Oh, dusting – nothing worse than that! Yes, I was surprised too at my shellfish allergy coming on after a lifetime of enjoying shellfish. Apparently it is not as uncommon as you might imagine.

Jenners: Yup, you can develop an allergy at any time in your life. And it is scary to think you could have an fatal allergy and not know it!

Allie: I knew we must have more in common than just books 🙂 Dog hair tumbleweeds – yes, you are in my house! I was completely bummed when I discovered I could no longer eat shellfish.

Swati: Thank you for adding my blog 🙂 Glad to meet another tomboy out there 🙂

Avis: Nice to see we have some things in common. Sorry to hear about your carsickness – that cannot be fun!

Dawn: LOL – I lived in Boston for several years and drove a beater car just so I could drive like a maniac and not worry about it 🙂