For the last several days I have been haunting the BEA website, printing off events and author signings, pulling together a multitude of emails and blog posts…all in order to put together a schedule for next week. There are overlaps and tight time lines – especially on Wednesday which seems to be the most popular day for everything I want to do. But, despite all of this, I think I have a pretty good tentative schedule.
Kip and I arrive in NYC on the evening of May 22nd (Saturday) and leave late in the day on May 29th (Saturday).
Saturday Evening (May 22nd):
- Meet up for a late dinner with my sister Paula and her boyfriend Gene who are coming to New York for three days. I cannot wait to give my sister a HUGE hug.
Sunday (May 23rd) – all day:
- Touristy stuff with Paula and Gene – Kip is in charge of this end of the trip, but we will definitely be going to Ground Zero and The Strand Bookstore at some point.
Monday (May 24th):
- Morning – breakfast with my sister and Gene before they head back to New Hampshire.
- Late Morning – Tour of Bloomsbury/Picador/Tor publishing house
- 1:00-5:00 PM – sometime during this time slot we’ll go by to pick up our press passes and get our tickets for the opening event on Tuesday with Barbara Streisand.
- Evening – Dinner with Kip’s cousin in NYC
Tuesday (May 25th):
The first two events conflict – I’ll have to decide which one to attend…
- 8:30-10:00 – The Value of a Book Event
- 9:30-10:30 (Room 1Eoz) – Bringing Your Authors to the Social Media Party
- Late Morning – Tour of Penguin publishing house
- Afternoon – Nothing planned…possibly some more touristy type things
- 6:00-7:00 pm (Special Events Hall) – Opening event with Barbara Streisand
- Evening – Late dinner, relaxing
Wednesday (May 26th):
- 7:00 AM – pick up tickets for ticketed author signings (see all ticketed signings here and all in-booth signings here)
The first three things all conflict, although I could probably do two of the three…more choices!
- 10:00-11:00 (Room 1E17) – Hot Book Club Titles for Fall
- 10:00-11:00 (Table 5) – Joyce Carol Oates signing (ticketed)
- 10:00-11:00 (Booth #4340-Other Press) – Mitchell Kaplan signing
- 11:00-12:00 (Booth #4259) – Caroline Leavitt signing
- 12:00-12:30 (Midtown Stage) – Jennifer Eagan
- 12:30-?? – LUNCH
In the afternoon, you will see there are all kinds of overlaps and conflicts…
- 1:00-2:00 (Table10) – Jan Brett signing (ticketed)
- 2:30-3:30 (Table 15)) – Doonesbury Limited Edition Lithograph signing (ticketed)
- 3:00-4:00 (Harper Collins booth #3359) – Champagne Toast to celebrate To Kill a Mockingbird 50th Anniversary
- 3:30-4:00 (Harper Collins booth #3359) – Simon Van Booy signing
The two evening events also overlap – We’ll be going to the Harper Collins event definitely, but maybe we can attend both since the Tweet Up goes for an hour past the Harper Collins event.
- 7:00-9:00 PM (The Algonquin Hotel) – Celebration of Book Bloggers event – Harper Collins
- 7:00-10:00 PM (Powerhouse Books) – BEA Tweet Up event
Thursday (May 27th):
- 9:30-10:30 (Table 26) – Kathleen Kent signing
Again, the next events conflict….
- 10:30-11:20 (Uptown Stage) – Thrillers
- 11:30-12:20 (Uptown Stage) – Debut Fiction
- 11:00-12:00 (Room 1E14) – The Next Decade in Book Culture hosted by the NBCC
- 12:30-??? – LUNCH
- 2:00-3:00 (Table 13) Lee Child signing
- 2:30-3:00 (Table 29) Beth Kephart signing
- 4:00-6:00 PM – Book Blogger Convention Reception
Friday (May 28th):
- 8:30-5:00 PM – Book Blogger Convention (where I am sitting on the panel: Social Responsibility in Book Blogging)
Saturday (May 29th):
- AM – relax, eat, reflect…maybe squeeze in one last thing before our flight leaves in the afternoon!
Of course, it goes without saying, this schedule is subject to change…and if YOU’RE going to the BEA…I hope to see you there!!