Scheduling for BEA – Decisions, Decisions

For the last several days I have been haunting the BEA website, printing off events and author signings, pulling together a multitude of emails and blog posts…all in order to put together a schedule for next week. There are overlaps and tight time lines – especially on Wednesday which seems to be the most popular day for everything I want to do. But, despite all of this, I think I have a pretty good tentative schedule.

Kip and I arrive in NYC on the evening of May 22nd (Saturday) and leave late in the day on May 29th (Saturday).

Saturday Evening (May 22nd):

• Meet up for a late dinner with my sister Paula and her boyfriend Gene who are coming to New York for three days. I cannot wait to give my sister a HUGE hug.

Sunday (May 23rd) – all day:

• Touristy stuff with Paula and Gene – Kip is in charge of this end of the trip, but we will definitely be going to Ground Zero and The Strand Bookstore at some point.

Monday (May 24th):

• Morning – breakfast with my sister and Gene before they head back to New Hampshire.
  • Late Morning – Tour of Bloomsbury/Picador/Tor publishing house
  • 1:00-5:00 PM – sometime during this time slot we’ll go by to pick up our press passes and get our tickets for the opening event on Tuesday with Barbara Streisand.
  • Evening – Dinner with Kip’s cousin in NYC

Tuesday (May 25th):

The first two events conflict – I’ll have to decide which one to attend…

• 8:30-10:00 – The Value of a Book Event
  • 9:30-10:30 (Room 1Eoz) – Bringing Your Authors to the Social Media Party
  • Late Morning – Tour of Penguin publishing house
  • Afternoon – Nothing planned…possibly some more touristy type things
  • 6:00-7:00 pm (Special Events Hall) – Opening event with Barbara Streisand
  • Evening – Late dinner, relaxing

Wednesday (May 26th):

The first three things all conflict, although I could probably do two of the three…more choices!

• 10:00-11:00 (Room 1E17) – Hot Book Club Titles for Fall
  • 10:00-11:00 (Table 5) – Joyce Carol Oates signing (ticketed)
  • 10:00-11:00 (Booth #4340-Other Press) – Mitchell Kaplan signing

In the afternoon, you will see there are all kinds of overlaps and conflicts…

• 1:00-2:00 (Table10) – Jan Brett signing (ticketed)
  • 2:30-3:30 (Table 15)) – Doonesbury Limited Edition Lithograph signing (ticketed)
  • 3:00-4:00 (Harper Collins booth #3359) – Champagne Toast to celebrate To Kill a Mockingbird 50th Anniversary
  • 3:30-4:00 (Harper Collins booth #3359) – Simon Van Booy signing

The two evening events also overlap – We’ll be going to the Harper Collins event definitely, but maybe we can attend both since the Tweet Up goes for an hour past the Harper Collins event.

• 7:00-9:00 PM (The Algonquin Hotel) – Celebration of Book Bloggers event – Harper Collins
  • 7:00-10:00 PM (Powerhouse Books) – BEA Tweet Up event

Thursday (May 27th):

• 9:30-10:30 (Table 26) – Kathleen Kent signing

Again, the next events conflict….

• 12:30-??? – LUNCH

Friday (May 28th):

Saturday (May 29th):

• AM – relax, eat, reflect…maybe squeeze in one last thing before our flight leaves in the afternoon!

Of course, it goes without saying, this schedule is subject to change…and if YOU’RE going to the BEA…I hope to see you there!!

1. I hope you have an amazing time at BEA this year! Hopefully I will be able to attend next year!

• Lisamm on May 17, 2010 at 11:18

Oh my gosh, it sounds exhausting.. and amazing.

Jealous.

OH! I owe you an email!!!! (slaps self in forehead!) it’s coming- in a few minutes!! SORRY!

• Aths on May 17, 2010 at 11:24

Wow! I am jealous that I am not coming! That schedule really makes me want to come!!

Have a fun time while you are there!

• EL Fay on May 17, 2010 at 14:23

I had no idea this was coming up so soon. Are a lot of book bloggers going to be there? I’m thinking about going but I’m not sure yet.

• Molly on May 17, 2010 at 14:28

Ah…I am so jealous! I had such a great time last year, and I know you will have an equally good time this year. I am sorry that I won’t be able to meet you in person, but I wish you the best time!!

• Serena on May 18, 2010 at 06:35

I’m still working out the kinks in my schedule…but I’ll be with Anna from Diary of an Eccentric and The Girl. We hope to see you at least at the HarperCollins event or BEA.

If you want to give us a call, I can give you my cell, just drop me an email.

2. This is the first I’ve heard of To Kill a Mockingbird’s fiftieth anniversary! I owe so much to Horton Foote, and of course I am in awe of the novel. Thanks for the news.

3. It sounds like a wonderful, fun-filled time. I am jealous that I can’t go, but I hope you have some great posts up about it when you return (or while you are there if you can’t fit it in!).

• Isabel on May 18, 2010 at 17:00

Enjoy your tours. I can’t wait to read about them.

4. Thank you for posting my signing! If you come see me, I’ll give you a huge hug (and draw something in your book!)

Caroline

• Wendy on May 19, 2010 at 13:52

Zibilee: I wish you were going to be there 🙁 But maybe next year!

Lisa: Exhausting – yes! I am trying to store my sleep in anticipation 🙂

Aths: Thanks. I wish you were going to be there too!

El Fay: YES…go! I would love to meet you. There are tons of people going!

Molly: I remember your posts last year…and I was so wanting to be there. Maybe one of these years we’ll make it there at the same time!

Serena: Yes, let’s get together…I’ll drop you an email!

Shelly: You’re welcome!

Jen: I hope to post while I’m there – but we’ll see! At any rate, I will share stuff as I can!

Isabel: Thanks!

Caroline: THANK YOU for stopping by! I can’t wait to meet you…and looking forward to both the hug AND the drawing!!

5. Wendy, I really want to meet you at BEA! I might spot you in the line for Kathleen Kent’s autograph and I’ll definitely be at the blogger events!

6. You are going to have so much fun!! And how wonderful that you’ll be able to spend time with your sister, as well. Sounds like a fabulous week, Wendy.

• Teddy on May 19, 2010 at 20:46

I know you will have an awesome time. We renovating the kitchen and living room so I have to keep a cap on spending. I’ll be at the Armchair BEA.

• Wendy on May 20, 2010 at 06:53

Avis: I will keep my eye out for you!

Les: I am really excited that my sister will make it to NY for a couple of days – and then of course, all the book stuff.

Teddy: The Armchair BEA sounds like it will be great – enjoy it!