Book Expo: May 26, 2010

**Click on any photos in this post to enjoy a larger view

Wednesday marked the first day of the exhibition part of the BEA and I have to say, it was overwhelming and exciting. Kip and I got up at 5:00 AM to get to the Javits by 6:00 AM to get tickets for a couple of author signings (Jan Brett and Joyce Carol Oates). We were delighted to discover Serena and Anna (along with “the girl”) just in front of us in the line (later Heather also joined us).

The exhibit hall opened at 9:00 AM, so we sat around drinking coffee and talking, talking, talking…so fun!

The masses of people who swamped the exhibit hall beginning at 9:00 was incredible. I met up with Lisa Roe while waiting in the autograph area (she is as animated and lovely in person as on her blog and in her emails!):

I missed getting Joyce Carol Oates autograph when she failed to show up for her signing (they gave us the book unsigned), and then meandered over to Other Press to meet Mitchell Kaplan who was delightful. I also met Caroline Leavitt and picked up a signed copy of her book.

I made sure to stop by the Unbridled Books Booth to meet Caitlin Summie – she feels like such a friend after all these months of working with her and it was great to give her a giant hug and sit and talk with her.

I did not get to visit any of the stages or presentations…there was just too much to see and do on the exhibit floor. After lunch I met Jan Brett and picked up a signed copy of her latest book. It is gorgeous!

After dodging the crowds and talking to authors, publicists and other bloggers…Kip and I finally crashed at around 3:00 pm. The last few days caught up to us (and the backpack was getting to weighted down with books for Kip), so we headed back to the hotel and collapsed on the bed for a 2.5 hour nap! Here are the books I picked up on Wednesday:

• The Rain Song, by Janice Grove
  • Bamboo People, by Mitali Perkins (signed)
  • The Gendarme, by Mark T. Mustian
  • I Curse the River of Time, by Per Petterson
  • The Things That Need Doing, by Sean Manning (signed)
  • Mr. Toppit, by Charles Elton
  • The Pages, by Murray Bail
  • Pictures of You, by Caroline Leavitt (signed)
  • Alzheimer’s Care With Dignity, by Frank Fuerst (signed)

• Crossing Antarctica, by Will Steger (signed)
  • The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore, by Benjamin Hale
  • Room, by Emma Donoghue
  • Sourland, by Joyce Carol Oates
  • The Man in the Wooden Hat, by Jane Gardam
  • Sudan, by Art Ayris and Ninie Hammon
  • The Blessings of the Animals, by Katrina Kittle
  • Bone China, by Roma Tearne

After our much needed nap, it was time to get up, get showered, grab some dinner and head to the Algonquin Hotel for the Harper Collins Celebration of Book Bloggers.

The Harper Collins event was buzzing – there were so many bloggers there that it was hard to talk above the noise of all the chit chat. I was thrilled to meet Simon Van Booy who handed me a signed book of his short story collection Love Begins in Winter (remember how much I loved that book?!). Simon is funny and easy to talk with and it was such an honor to meet him.

And of course, I met LOTS of the bloggers whose blogs I love and read every day:

Amy, Natasha and me

Me, Kathy, Jill and Dawn

Nat (Tanabata) and me

Candace (Beth Fish), me, Rebecca, and Swapna

Me and Avis

Later on Kip, me and Avis moved down to the elegant bar at the Algonquin and laughed and shared stories until well after midnight!

And of course, what would a book blogger event be without a few books:

• Love Begins in Winter, by Simon Van Booy (signed)
  • Manhood for Amateurs, by Michael Chabon
  • Up From the Blue, by Susan Henderson

Wow, what an incredible day of books, meeting friends, and making new acquaintances. And there is still TWO days left!

1. I am absolutely LOVING your updates from BEA! Thanks so much for them … and these pictures! Now I can better put faces to names when I hopefully see them (and you, I hope) tomorrow.

2. I was so thrilled to meet you! I hope you love my novel!

x Caroline

• Molly on May 27, 2010 at 17:41

It sounds like you were incredibly busy – but had a ton of fun! I am so glad that this was such a good experience for you and Kip

• Paula on May 27, 2010 at 17:45

Wow! What an amazing day. I must say, you and Kip look marvelous all dressed to the nines – Kip is especially dapper in his hat. Sounds like each day just gets better and better. Looking forward to continuing to read about your adventure.

• gavin on May 27, 2010 at 18:02

Thank you, thank you! I know I’m living vicariously through your updates..and what a fabulous pile of books.

3. What an amazing day, I wish I had been there 🙂

4. I’m so jealous of all the bloggers you’ve got to meet. I’d love to see them all. Looks like you are having a wonderful time!

• Nymeth on May 29, 2010 at 01:25

Sounds like a lovely time was had by all. I wish I could have been there to meet you guys, but thank you for vicariously allowing us to put faces to blogs!

• Wendy on May 31, 2010 at 08:21

Melissa: Glad you enjoyed all the updates!

Caroline: It was a pleasure to meet you too – can’t wait to read your book!

Molly: Busy doesn’t even begin to describe it – reminded me that I was no longer in my 20s *laughs* The recovery from this trip is likely to take a week!

Paula: Dapper – yes! *laughing* It was so much fun dressing up for that event. I need to call you later and tell you all about the trip!

Gavin: Glad to help you live the trip virtually!

Becky: wish you could have been there too!

Jackie: The best part of the trip was meeting everyone – and everyone was exactly like they are on their blogs!

Nymeth: I wish you could have come too – I’d love to meet you some day.

5. I’m so impressed that you were blogging at BEA!

How fun to meet you and Kip – he really did look dashing at that party, with his hat. Fit right in to the lit atmosphere downstairs, I’m sure.

I can’t believe Simon Van Booy was in the same room with me, and I didn’t spot him to swoon – love his writing!!

6. I just saw this post! I think I’m replying to you all out of order, now. Ah, the perils of BEA recovery. hehe.

I love our pic! Thanks for posting it. Isn’t Simon the sweetest person you’ve ever met? He carried a heavy bag of books for me while he and I were in line outside the BBC reception.

I’m so happy you got a copy of ROOM! I snagged a couple (I smell a giveaway coming up!) and can’t wait to read it.

And you and Kip make one adorable couple! 😉

• Serena on June 3, 2010 at 06:49

Wow, another book we can compare — The Gendarme, by Mark T. Mustian I saw this one in the booth lying lonely on the floor. It sounded great!

Looks like you had a better time at the harpercollins event than I did. It was way to crowded for my taste….then again I also didn’t have a nap before going. Maybe I should have! I would have been more animated!

• Anna on June 4, 2010 at 09:53

I had such a good time chatting with you and Kip. The Girl absolutely loves you both!

7. I’m so glad I got to meet you! You and Kip are such a dashing couple!

• Wendy on June 6, 2010 at 08:01

Dawn: Oh it was so great to meet and talk with you too 🙂 I wish I’d known you hadn’t met Simon at the party – I would have found you and steered you in his direction! He was really nice – very funny and laid back; made me love his books even more (if that is possible!)

Lisa: I was so happy to meet you in person 🙂 And yes, Simon Van Booy is the sweetest, nicest guy! Glad to see you snagged Room too…I am eager to read that one!

Serena: I was running on pure adrenaline at the HC event! *laughs* I love the cover art of The Gendarme…I must admit, I am a cover whore!

Anna: And we loved The Girl (she is SO adorable…and fun to talk with). So glad we bumped into you on that first day so we could hang out a bit and talk!

Kathy: *smiles* thank you! And we were happy to meet you too!

8. Wendy, I’m so sorry I didn’t comment on this post sooner! It was such fun to hang out with you and Kip! And you were obviously much better than I was at both taking pictures and writing up posts in a timely manner! I hope we get to hang out again sometime!

• Wendy on August 15, 2010 at 09:16

No worries, Avis! I hope we get to hang out again, too…that was such a fun night!!! And great wine, too 🙂