Post BEA Book Buzz: September Gems Part I

Welcome to the third installment of a series of Post-BEA Book Buzz articles where I will be highlighting some of the hot new titles which I discovered at the BEA.

View the first two installments of this series:

In this edition of Book Buzz, I want to share with you some amazing books which are slated for release in September 2010. I can tell you right now, September is going to be a BIG month for books.

Room by Emma Donoghue (Little Brown and Company) got a lot of attention at the BEA this year. I picked up two copies of the Advance Readers Edition of this book so I could give one away here on my blog. Stay tuned for details.

Room is narrated in the voice of its five year old protagonist who has lived in a single room his entire life. Although this small room is home to Jack, it is a prison for his mother. Described as ‘riveting,’ ‘dazzling,’ and ‘powerful,’ Room is one of the much anticipated books for fall.

Emma Donoghue was born in Ireland, but currently lives in London, Ontario with her partner and their two small children. Donoghue has been earning her living as a writer since the age of 23. She is the author of six previously published novels which have been translated into the  Dutch, German, Swedish, Spanish, Catalan, Hebrew, Greek, French, Italian, and Portuguese. She has also penned numerous short stories which have been published in over 30 journals and anthologies.

Check out this video of Donoghue talking about Room:

Read more about Donoghue and her work by visiting the author’s website.

Sourland: Stories by Joyce Carol Oates (Ecco/Harper Collins) is a collection of sixteen short stories which have previously been published in a number of diverse publications such as The New Yorker, the Guardian (UK) and Ellery Queen magazine. In these stories, Oates explores themes of violence, loss and grief.

Joyce Carol Oates is the recipient of the National Book Award and the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in Short Fiction. She has penned a number of novels, many which became national best sellers. He has won numerous awards for her long fiction including the National Book Award, the Prix Femina, the Common Wealth Award for Distinguished Service in Literature and the 2010 National Book Critics Circle Ivan Sandrof Lifetime Achievement Award.  Learn more about Oates and her work by visiting Celestial Timepiece: A Joyce Carol Oates Home Page or visit the Harper Collins page about the author.

Apehouse by Sarah Gruen (Speigel and Grau) created a long line for the author signing at BEA. When a family of bonobo apes are kidnapped from a language laboratory, their mysterious appearance on a reality TV show calls into question our assumptions about these animals who share 99.4% of our DNA.

A long time animal lover, Gruen has studied linguistics and a system of lexigrams in order to communicate with apes. She is one of the few visitors who has been allowed access to the Great Ape Trust in Des Moines, Iowa, where the apes have come to love her. Gruen brings this experience and research to her novel Ape House. The novel is being described as riveting, funny, compassionate, and deeply moving.

Watch this cool book trailer:

Sara Gruen is perhaps best known for her best selling novel Water for Elephants which quickly became a book group favorite. She has also published the bestselling novels Riding Lessons and Flying Changes. Gruen is a a Canadian-born dual citizen who currently lives in Western North Carolina with her husband, three children, two dogs, four cats, two horses and a goat. To learn more about Sara Gruen and her work, visit the author’s website.

Mr. Toppit by Charles Elton (Other Press) caught my attention before I got to the BEA, and it seemed to be one of the hot books being picked up in the Other Press booth. The blurb on the back of the book reads: ‘Imagine if your father modeled the hero of his children’s stories after you…A darkly comic debut novel that takes an English boy and his father’s books on a tumultuous journey to unexpected fame in America and to the mysteries hidden at the heart of an extraordinary family.‘ The Times calls Mr. Toppit “miles ahead of most debut novels” and the author Tom Perrotta describes the novel as “darkly comic.”

***CORRECTION: After I posted this, I was informed by the publisher that the release date has been adjusted. This title is due for release now in NOVEMBER 2010!

Charles Elton worked as both a designer and editor in the publishing industry before becoming a literary agent. For over ten years he has been an executive producer of drama at ITV in London. Mr. Toppit is his first novel.

Watch for Part II of Post BEA Book Buzz: September Gems TOMORROW.

• Nicole on June 10, 2010 at 07:22

I think I have to read ROOM like right now. I am starting to see it so many places that I don’t want it to get to the point where it is overhyped in my mind. It does look good though.

1. Great selection! I have a copy of Room – it looks fantastic.

I loved Water for Elephants, so am interested to know what her new one is like. I look forward to hearing all about it.

Mr Toppit was released in the UK last year. I wasn’t a big fan, but I think that is mainly because I had false expectations. It was marketed as a gothic mystery here in the UK, but it was far too modern for that and it wasn’t really a mystery either! It looks as though it is being marketed differently in the US, so hopefully you won’t be disappointed when you don’t find a gothic mystery 🙂

• Nymeth on June 10, 2010 at 08:39

The concept of Room is nothing if not unique! Consider me intrigued.

• Serena on June 10, 2010 at 09:04

Sourland is one I am excited to read even in spite of the autographing snafu….but Room is one I should have snagged.

• Jeane on June 10, 2010 at 10:17

I want to read Ape House now. Thanks for telling us about these books!

• Molly on June 10, 2010 at 10:40

Such a great post, Wendy!

I am already captivated by the story of Room – and the video clip of Ape House brought tears to my eyes.

• Andi on June 10, 2010 at 11:08

Great list. I was just writing on another blog that my “lust list” is pretty short at the moment. Now I have some upcoming titles to put on my want list. I’m especially impressed with the bit about Gruen and all the fantastic research she’s done for this novel.

• Lauren on June 10, 2010 at 12:58

Looks like my TBR pile just grew! Thanks for the update. I really am looking forward to Ape House!

P.S. I just found your blog! I am SO excited, it looks like we have the same taste in lit. (:

2. Ape House is a book that I wanted and didn’t get. I didn’t realize Sara Gruen lives in western North Carolina – that’s not far from me – maybe she’ll tour somewhere around here.

• Kay on June 10, 2010 at 13:44

Wendy, thanks for doing these little highlights. I’m really enjoying them and enjoyed the two videos. My book group read WATER FOR ELEPHANTS last year and had such a good discussion of it. I’m looking forward to reading APE HOUSE and also sharing the new of it’s publication with my group next week.

ROOM sounds very compelling. Having a bit of clautrophobia, it kind of freaks me out a bit, but we’ll see how it goes.

• Staci on June 10, 2010 at 16:12

Ape House is on my radar and I seriously can not wait to read it!

• gavin on June 10, 2010 at 17:02

Wendy, thanks for doing these highlight posts. I have added several books to my to-be-read list, including Room.

• Megan on June 10, 2010 at 18:12

Great post! I got copies of both Room and Ape House, and I’m looking forward to reading them both. 🙂

• Wendy on June 11, 2010 at 05:58

Nicole: Room is definitely one of those books I am eager to read…I’m trying to hold off until closer to the release date!

Jackie: That is really interesting about Mr. Toppitt – it definitely does not look Gothic to me!! I’ll be trying to read that one closer to the US release date.

Nymeth: I agree – it is a very interesting plot for a novel, I think.

Serena: I agree – I am eager to read JCO’s book (even though I am STILL mad I didn’t get it autographed!!!).

Jeane: You’re welcome – I think APE HOUSE looks great.

Molly: Thanks! I don’t usually post book trailers, but I thought the APE HOUSE trailer was really well done.

Andi: If your lust list starts to get short, the best way to lengthen it is to read the book blogs *laughs* There never seems to be a shortage of books I am drooling over!

• Wendy on June 11, 2010 at 06:02

Lauren: Thanks for dropping by! I visited your blog yesterday and subscribed 🙂

Kathy: Gruen has a page on her blog for tour dates/appearances. There is nothing there yet, but it looks like they’ll be updating it as she gets closer to publication. You might want to check it out.

Kay: I’m glad you’re enjoying this series 🙂 I have a feeling Ape House is going to be a big seller…especially to book groups. I have a little claustrophobia as well!!!

Staci: You and about a million other people *laughs*

Gavin: You’re welcome – glad you’re enjoying them.

Megan: They both look awesome, don’t they?