Quilts for Kids – Finished!

As part of the Social Justice Challenge in May, I decided to make a quilt for an organization called Quilts for Kids whose mission is:

Transforming discontinued, unwanted and other fabrics into patchwork quilts that comfort children with life-threatening illnesses and children of abuse.

I finished this quilt over the weekend and mailed it off today where it will get a label and be sent to a child in a hospital. Quilts for Kids have distributed thousands of quilts for children with terminal illness who are in hospitals nationwide. Check out the gallery of quilts on their site. Want to make a quilt for this organization? Visit this page for FAQs.

Here is my finished quilt (click on photos to enjoy a larger view):

1. The quilt is beautiful. I’m sure it will bring a child and their family some comfort.

2. Wow, Wendy, this is such a beautiful quilt! How long did it take you to make?

I also checked out the gallery of quilts — I think my favourite is the dragon one, although they are all beautiful.

• Kay on June 21, 2010 at 12:13

Wendy, the quilt is lovely and I know it will mean so much to the child that gets it. What a special thing to do.

3. Oh wow! That is just gorgeous! I love the very springlike colors as well. I think it’s very awesome that you did this!

4. What a happy quilt! I bet you make some kid super happy!!!

• Janet on June 21, 2010 at 17:39

Very nice quilt. As a parent of a childhood cancer survivor, I think this is a wonderful project, and I am glad you posted the link, I want to get involved in this worthy project.

5. Like all of your quilts, this one is beautiful!

• sumana on June 22, 2010 at 08:17

Wendy, what a gorgeous quilt ! and the color combinations wonderful. I am sure a child is going to get such comfort when he/she wraps in this cozy blanket..

• Wendy on June 23, 2010 at 07:16

Kathy: Thank you!

Avis: I took me about 3 weekends…but I didn’t work on it all the time. It is an easy design…and it is small, so that helped! I enjoyed trolling through the gallery too 🙂

Kay: Thanks! I had fun making it.

Zibilee: Thank you 🙂

Rhapsody: I really like to make happy quilts 🙂

Janet: I’m glad I was able to point you towards this organization. I don’t think this will be my last quilt for them!

Care: Thank you so much!

Sumana: Thank you! I hope it brings comfort 🙂

• Teddy on June 25, 2010 at 21:42

You are going to make a kid very, very happy. It looks wonderful.

• Wendy on June 28, 2010 at 06:45