1930’s Sampler Quilt: FINISHED!

I started making this quilt last summer and got the whole thing pieced, but when I went to quilt it, I ran into some BIG problems. My machine was not really able to handle the job and I ended up getting frustrated and putting this quilt away. Two weeks ago, I pulled it out and decided to finish it since I now have a new sewing machine that works like a dream.

Name of Quilt: 1930s Sampler Quilt

Size: 62″ X 53″ (a large lap size)

Fabrics Used: The blocks are all 1930s reproduction fabrics. I decided to use Anna Griffin Christmas fabric for the border and a large part of the back because the raspberry of that fabric matched PERFECTLY with the small amounts of raspberry in each of the 1930s fabrics. I used left over scraps to make a pieced binding. The back is also pieced using left over blocks to run a strip across the width of the quilt.

Quilting: Straight line machine quilting was used throughout. I quilted parallel lines on the sashing, and for each block, I quilted a small square inside a larger square.

I’m going to keep this one. I love the way it looks draped over a chair; and for all the sweat and tears, I decided I just could not part with it!

(*Click on any photo to enjoy a larger view)

1. It is simply gorgeous!

• Wendy on July 4, 2010 at 17:40

Thanks, Kathy!

• Staci on July 4, 2010 at 18:04

That is just absolutely breathtaking Wendy!!!! Love the colors you used!

2. That’s gorgeous, Wendy! I’ve always wished I could quilt. I would have a hard time giving that beautiful quilt away too.

• Kay on July 4, 2010 at 18:46

That is so gorgeous, Wendy! It will be a family heirloom and it looks perfect each place you have it folded or draped. Such a talent!

3. Your quilt is so beautiful! When I see quilts like yours, it makes me want to learn how to do it myself.

• Laura on July 5, 2010 at 02:35

Fabulous work, Wendy. I love all the colors. I’m impressed that you were able to pull this out and try again, and not be intimidated by your first attempt. Of course it never hurts to have the right tool/gadget for the job, does it? Lovely … looking forward to seeing more of your talents.

• JoAnn on July 5, 2010 at 04:52

Absolutely stunning – can see why you won’t part with this one!!

4. Oh, I love this quilt! The colors and designs are gorgeous!!

5. I love your quilt. I love how you did the backing too. I love 30’s fabrics. It’s gorgeous and I love how it looks draped on your porch! It looks like an inviting place to curl up with a book!

• Terri on July 5, 2010 at 16:57

Wendy, it’s beautiful. Congrats for sticking with it!

• Tui on July 5, 2010 at 17:58

You are just getting better and better with every one you make. Your backs are so innovative as well. That quilt has “read under me” written all over it.

• Les in NE on July 5, 2010 at 19:06

I love your quilts! You are so talented, Wendy!

6. That’s a beautiful quilt! I love the way it looks over the chair, too.

• Wendy on July 7, 2010 at 04:31

Staci: Thank you so much – I fell in love with that fabric 🙂

Melissa: Thanks! I find quilting so relaxing – and it is really not all that hard to learn – go for it!

Kay: Thank you for your kind words 🙂

Vasilly: Thanks – you definitely should try your hand at quilting! Most quilting stores offer introductory classes…and it is so much fun!

Laura: Thank you 🙂 I hate unfinished projects – so I always knew I’d get back to this one…and you are right, having the right tool for the job makes it so much easier 🙂

Joann: Thank you!

Zibilee: Thank you so much – I like the design too…this was part of a quilt-along I did and it really captured me.

Beth: I love piecing the backs of my quilts…it make them truly reversible! Thanks for your kind words (and yes, I am looking forward to reading beneath this one!).

Terri: Thank you!

Tui: *laughs* I agree – “read under me” should be what the tag says!

Les: Aw, thanks!

Kim: I like how it drapes as well 🙂 Thank you!

• Anna on July 8, 2010 at 09:04

Every time I see one of your quilts I just want to run out, buy a sewing machine and fabric, and learn. (Thankfully, I’m not that impulsive LOL)

It’s gorgeous!

• Wendy on July 11, 2010 at 07:26

Anna: LOL – although I would NOT discourage you from taking up quilting – it is so much fun, and a great creative outlet 🙂 Thanks!