Spotted Owl Baby Quilt

I finished this baby quilt today – and I think it is my favorite quilt so far! This one measures 40″ X 49″ and uses Alexander Henry’s Spotted Owl fabric in three colorways, along with some dotty fabric which coordinated perfectly.

I did a pieced back to make it reversible, and added a cute hand-made tag for the new little baby boy who will be getting this one (he was just born yesterday and is a healthy 8 pounds plus).

Most fun, this is the very first quilt which I have quilted using free motion quilting. I was scared to death, but it came out great. I mimicked the tree branches in the main fabric and did little loopy loops all over.

The quilt uses a silk batting – so it is light weight but warm…and drapes beautifully. Finally I finished the whole thing with a vibrant raspberry dot binding. I hate to part with this one…but it is going to a very special baby in Hawaii who I know will get a lot of use out of it!

*Click on any of the photos above to enjoy a larger view

• Tina on July 31, 2010 at 12:58

My middle daughter would be so jealous – she is totally into owls right now. I found your site through the Blog Hop, and am enjoying looking around. Come and visit me sometime: http://www.booksaremything.blogspot.com

1. I love this! It’s just adorable! What a lucky baby!

2. It’s just gorgeous!

• verbatim on July 31, 2010 at 14:03

This is uncanny how many fabrics we share in common. I have some of the owl fabric in addition to at least two of the polka dots I see. Thanks for the great idea of what to do with it! I am really liking the new-style quilts, such as yours, that feature a beautiful fabric in a simple layout, set off by black or white. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

3. Wow, Wendy, that quilt is gorgeous! Lucky baby!

• Lenore on August 1, 2010 at 03:09

My mother used to make baby quilts but she always used flannel. I still have a couple she made. Maybe I’ll get to use them someday.

• Molly on August 1, 2010 at 03:53

I love the bright yellow – red – turquoise combination. Another beautiful quilt, Wendy 🙂

4. It looks beautiful!

• Staci on August 1, 2010 at 12:01

That is a beautiful quilt and you did a wonderful job!

5. This is the cutest quilt ever! How in the world do you find the time to be so creative?? Great job!

6. Beautiful quilt! Makes me almost wish I were having a baby. 😉

• Teddy on August 3, 2010 at 12:54

That is so cute! I am sure he will enjoy it for years to come.

• Wendy on August 15, 2010 at 09:13

Tina: thanks for stopping by! I love owls too 🙂

Rhapsody: Thank you!

Kathy: Thanks!

Verbatim: I love finding another quilter who shares the same fabrics 🙂 I have really been taken with the simplicity of the modern quilts…not only are they a breeze to stitch, but I think they really show off the fabrics. Glad you enjoyed this one!

Avis: Thank you!

Lenore: I have yet to quilt with flannel … but I do have some in my stash, so maybe one of these days!

Molly: thank you! I fell in love with the colors too.

Amber: thank you!

Staci: Thanks for your kind words!

Zibilee: I wish I had MORE time to quilt…but I love the creative process so it is not work at all for me to find the time to squeeze in a bit of quilting on a weekend.

Les: LOL! Thanks!