Gratitude to Congressman Herger and His Staff…

Far too often when we talk or write about our government it is to criticize. I’ll be the first to admit that my impression of government has been that of an institution which is bureaucratic, cold, uncaring, and filled with people whose self-interest comes before the public interest. So when my brother-in-law (who is a State Rep in Rhode Island) suggested that I contact my Congressman about the difficulty I was having getting my FBI background check completed so I could obtain a NH PT license, I admit I thought it might be pointless. But, I was feeling a little desperate. I needed my PT license so I could go to NH and be with my sister as she recovered from surgery. I needed to know I could stay as long as she needed me to stay without financial hardship.

So, I emailed Congressman Wally Herger.

Within a few days I received a response from Jenna Batti out of Congressman Herger’s Chico office. She told me they were going to do what they could to expedite my background check. I was still cynical. Would they really help me? Or was this just a standard response?

I got my answer on Tuesday when Jenna called me around 5:00 PM to tell me the FBI was OVERNIGHTING my background check to arrive on Wednesday which was the day of the NH Board’s monthly meeting when they would be making decisions on PT applications. I was stunned. Overnighting? Really? A big agency that deals with millions of requests, and me just a little person living in rural California?

It was true.

And on Thursday I got a really wonderful birthday present from the NH Licensing Board – my application was approved and I was granted my license. I can now go to NH and be with my sister during a difficult time. I can support my nieces. I can stay as long as I need to.

Thank you Congressman Herger and Jenna Batti – you have no idea how much your quick and caring response means to me and my family. You have given me renewed hope for our system of government and proven that there ARE people in government who DO care.

1. Wendy, I’m really glad this worked out so well for you! It’s great that you can now go and take care of your sister without any problems.
    I’ll continue to keep your sister, you and your entire family in my thoughts.

• Robbie on August 21, 2010 at 08:56

That’s fantastic Wendy!! I am so happy for you. We all too often quick to criticize our government and forget about the good things they are capable of accomplishing for us.

2. That is so wonderful, Wendy! I am so glad they came through for you like that. It really does renew my faith in humanity, particularly those in leadership positions. Your sister, you and your family are in my prayers.

• verbatim on August 21, 2010 at 10:48

Hooray!

• Lori L on August 21, 2010 at 11:25

This is wonderful news, Wendy and it is so nice the read about bureaucracy actually working for someone!

3. What wonderful news! I would never have thought to try that, but I’m glad to know that the right person read your email.

4. Wow, I’m really impressed! I too am one of those who wouldn’t think to contact my congressperson and yet it seems like a great course of action!

5. Thanks for sharing this with us. It does make a person feel better about our government and the people that work in leadership positions especially when all you see on the news sometimes is negative, negative, negative. Your family is in my prayers!

• Molly on August 21, 2010 at 17:49

Oh Wendy – that is absolutely awesome!!!

6. Wow, that is awesome news…congratulations! It is nice to know that good things can happen when you need them to the most.

• Alyce on August 21, 2010 at 23:18

That is fantastic! How wonderful to see that they came through for you!

• JoAnn on August 22, 2010 at 06:23

Wonderful news!

7. This makes me happy!!! 🙂

• Teddy on August 22, 2010 at 21:12

Thank you Congressman Herger and Jenna Batti for helping my friend Wendy!!

8. That is so wonderful! I’m so sorry to hear about your sister. Your sister and you and your family are ever in my thoughts.

• Wendy on August 23, 2010 at 07:02

Kathrin: It was a huge relief. Thank you for your continuing thoughts and prayers…

Robbie: I agree – I think a lot of people (myself included) forget that this is a source we can go to for help…it is why we elect them.

Wendy: Thank you so much – it does restore one’s faith in goodness, doesn’t it?

Verbatim: *smiles* YES!

Lori L: *nods* We always hear the bad stuff – I thought it was important to share something good once in a while.

Kathy: I would never had thought to do it without my BIL’s nudge…but, now I would not hesitate to contact someone in government if I needed it again.

Rhapsody: You and me both!

Samantha: thank you for your prayers…I am happy that some of our leaders DO care and are doing what they are elected to do which is to be a voice for the people they represent.

Molly: I agree!

Kathleen: It was definitely a nice surprise.

Alyce: I know – it really sort of blew me away!

Joann: Thanks 🙂

J.T.: *smiles* makes me happy too 🙂

Teddy: Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Michelle: Thank you so much – it is good to know so much positive energy is being put out there for my sister and family.

• Sheila on August 28, 2010 at 20:55

When I get to far behind in the blog reading, I usually delete them unread. I’m so glad I didn’t this time! Thanks for sharing a positive in our government. We hear so much of the bad stuff, that it’s easy to forget good stuff does happen.
    Prayers and good thoughts go out to your sister, you and yours.

9. Wonderful story and such a great outcome for you!!

10. Wendy – this is a such a positive story about our govenment helping those who need and deserve it. The timing is like a made-for-TV story!

My thoughts are with you, your sister, and your families as you travel to NH to care for her; best wishes to you all …

• Wendy on October 1, 2010 at 06:19

Sheila: Thanks – I think it is important we recognize the good along with the bad in the world 🙂

Les: I agree 🙂

Dawn: LOL! It was a little dramatic, wasn’t it? Thanks for the good wishes.