Mailbox Monday – September 20, 2010

Welcome to Mailbox Monday hosted this month at Bermuda Onion.

Some interesting books arrived in California in my absence this week – and thanks to my wonderful husband Kip I am being kept updated as to what arrived and from whom it came!

I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg (due for release in November) arrived from Karen at Random House. This latest from Flagg is being marketed as a “comic mystery romp through the streets of Birmingham, Alabama, past, present, and future.” Maggie Fortenberry, a still beautiful former Miss Alabama, is this heroine of this book. “She graduated at the top of her class at charm school, can fold a napkin in more than forty-eight different ways, and can enter and exit a car gracefully, but all the finesse in the world cannot help her now.” Joining Maggie is a cast of high-spirited characters. The novel is being described as “Southern charm, murder mystery, and that perfect combination of comedy and old-fashioned wisdom that can be served up only by America’s own remarkable Fannie Flagg.

Fannie Flagg grew up in Alabama. She made her debut as a writer on the Candid Camera show, and began writing novels in the 1980s. She won an Academy Award for her screenplay of Fried Green Tomatoes. Flagg is also well known for her roles on television and game shows.

Caitlin from Unbridled Books sent me a hard cover of Safe From The Sea by debut novelist Peter Geye which I am planning to read very, very soon. This novel is getting lots of attention – it is an Indie Next Pick for October and is garnering praise from literary critics. Watch for my review in the next couple of weeks…and since I now have a hard cover edition, I will be giving away my Advance Readers Edition.

Learn more about Geye and his work by visiting the author’s website.

Amanda from Dutton/Penguin sent me a copy of Dewey’s Nine Lives by Vicki Myron. Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World was Myron’s first book about this lovable cat and became a bestseller and a publishing phenomenon.  In Myron’s latest book,  Dewey is back. Dewey’s Nine Lives offers nine funny, inspiring, and heartwarming stories about cats–all told from the perspective of “Dewey’s Mom,” librarian Vicki Myron.

Vicki Myron served as the director of the Spencer Public Library for twenty years. As the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Dewey, she speaks throughout the country. Myron lives in Spencer, Iowa. Learn more about Myron and her work by visiting the author’s website.

I also had one book arrive here in New Hampshire. Thanks to Heather at Picador I now have a copy of Arctic Chill by Arnaldur Indridason. Released last month, this novel is the Indridason’s fifth Reykjavik thriller (after TheDraining Lake). Police detective Erlendur Sveinsson investigates the murder of an Asian boy who is found frozen in his own blood outside a rundown apartment. The book is getting attention for exposing the plight of Thai women who brought to Iceland for arranged marriages which often fail leaving them to raise their children alone in a culture they don’t understand.

Arnaldur Indriadason an Icelandic writer of crime fiction who has proven to be the most popular writer in Iceland in recent years. He worked as journalist from 1981-1982, and later freelanced. From 1986 to 2001, he was a film critic for Morgunblaðið. He published his first book, Sons of Dust in 1997, the first in the series of Detective Erlendur. The series includes ten novels as of 2010.

What fantastic books arrived at YOUR home this week?

1. Safe from the Sea looks like such a good book. Happy reading!

• Alayne on September 20, 2010 at 07:15

I got Safe from the Sea as well and I’m so excited to hear about the attention it’s getting! My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

2. Have you read the other books by Indridason? I really liked the one I read, so I’m a bit jealous!

• Alyce on September 20, 2010 at 07:26

I got the Fannie Flagg book too, which was a pleasant surprise because I didn’t even know she had a book coming out.

• Mary on September 20, 2010 at 07:32

The first two are on my wish list. Enjoy them all!

• Andi on September 20, 2010 at 07:45

Yum! Can’t wait to read your thoughts on these.

• Nicola on September 20, 2010 at 08:34

I’ve got the Fanny Flagg book on my list and am really excited about it! I won’t be getting it until closer to pub. date though, so maybe I’ll get to read your opinion before my copy even arrives!

3. Wonderful mailbox! Have a great reading week ahead! Here is my Mondays: Mailbox/Where Am I/Musings post.

• Jeane on September 20, 2010 at 10:11

Dewey’s Nine Lives? are the stories about other cats too, not just Dewey? I’m curious.

• Cathy on September 20, 2010 at 11:29

I enjoy Fannie Flagg. Happy reading!

4. All of your books look good. Fannie Flagg is going to be speaking at SIBA and I can’t wait to hear what she has to say!

5. I didn’t know Fannie Flagg was coming out with a new book! Mind you I haven’t read anything by her other than Fried Green Tomatoes (which I loved). Enjoy all your books!

6. Fannie Flagg has a new book coming out? It is going straight on the wish list! She is a hoot and tells a great story! Safe From the Sea is going on my list too. You really got some great books this week! Enjoy!

• Shelley on September 20, 2010 at 16:15

The man who changed my life, Horton Foote, was the screenplay writer for the most famous film to be based in Alabama, so I was happy to see that the irrepressible homestate novelist Fannie Flagg is still at the top of her game!

• Staci on September 20, 2010 at 16:39

I read the book about Dewey and fell in love with him!! Enjoy your books as they all look great 😀

• Holly on September 20, 2010 at 16:45

I have never read Fannie Flagg. I really need to remedy that! Safe from the Sea sounds terrific. Great mailbox! Enjoy!!

• zibilee on September 21, 2010 at 05:23

I have read and liked quite a few Fannie Flagg books, so I am hoping that you enjoy this one. I will be interested to hear what you think of it. Lots of great stuff there. I bought a copy of Dewey a few months ago for my daughter as well!

• Amy on September 21, 2010 at 08:09

Dewey’s nine Lives is adorable! Love the pic on the cover! Safe from the Sea sounds quite good & that cover! Stunning! Arctic Chill sounds like a riveting & disturbing book. But I appreciate any book that exposes acts of abuse, neglect & wrongdoing agaisnt women & children.

I hope you & your sister enjoy these books & they take you away from rl for a bit & distract you i a good way for a little while.
    n
    ~ Amy

• Anna on September 21, 2010 at 09:10

I also received Safe from the Sea. I’ll keep an eye out for your review.

• Mystica on September 21, 2010 at 18:28

The books are a nice mix. I like the sound of Fannie Flag!!! will wait for your reviews.

• Wendy on October 1, 2010 at 05:56

Thanks to all who stopped in and visited!

Answers to a couple of you:

Amy (My Friend Amy): I have NOT read any books by Indridason before. Glad to know you love them!

Jeane: Apparently this newest Dewey book is not just about Dewey.