Grace: A Child’s Intimate Journey Through Cancer and Recovery, by Melinda Marchiano
Happy Quail; 2 edition (October 1, 2010)
Recently I read Melinda Marchiano’s moving memoir about her triumph over Hodgkin Lymphoma (read my review), and I am thrilled to announce that Melinda and her publisher have generously offered to give away five, SIGNED copies of the book here on Caribousmom, and there will be NO geographical restrictions.
As part of Reading for a Cure and in celebration of Pediatric Cancer Awareness month (which is September), there are special ways you can increase your chances of winning a signed copy of this inspirational book (outlined below). But first, let me give you some information about the book and author…
About the Book
Childhood cancer survivor Melinda Marchiano eloquently and humorously describes her journey through illness and recovery. Her story starts as she begins to feel ill, and we follow each step of her physical downfall as she struggles to continue to dance ballet, her greatest passion. At 14 years old, Melinda shares not only the events of her illness, but her thoughts, deep feelings and growing spirituality through operations, chemotherapy, radiation, drug reactions, an eating disorder and more. Your heart will be filled with the same grace Melinda cherished through her illness and your life will never be the same.
The book includes many photos…my favorites were those of Melinda and the therapy dogs, and also Melinda with her beloved lab Larry who brought her immeasurable comfort during the long months of treatment.
About the Author
Melinda Marchiano lives in the rolling, oak-studded hills of the Central Coast of California. Homeschooled up until high school, Melinda had the freedom to write and to create from a young age. Now in high school, she is academically at the top of her class. Melinda dances six days a week and performs with the Civic Ballet of San Luis Obispo and San Luis Jazz. As a childhood cancer survivor, Melinda gives thanks for her life by speaking and fundraising for organizations such as the Teddy Bear Cancer Foundation, the Children’s Miracle Network, and American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.
Watch this beautiful video of Melinda:
Dance was one of the things that kept Melinda going through treatment – despite fatigue and low blood counts, Melinda never stopped dancing:
Learn more about his funny, sensitive, and very talented author and her work by visiting the author’s website.
How to Win a Signed Copy of GRACE:
This giveaway is open to EVERYONE (regardless of where you live) from September 25th through October 3rd at 5:00 pm EST
- Because this giveaway, in large part, is meant to support Reading for a Cure (a project which aims to raise awareness and funds for pediatric cancer research and a cure), anyone who has supported this project so far this year will automatically be entered in the giveaway with FIVE chances to win one of the books (if you do NOT want to be entered, please notify me either by email or by leaving me a comment).
For everyone else:
- Leave me a comment (no later than 5:00 pm EST on October 3rd) telling me you would like to be entered for ONE chance to win.
To earn FIVE chances, do ONE of the following (must be completed by 5:00 pm EST on October 3rd):
- Join Reading for a Cure by visiting this page on my blog and follow the instructions to join, then come back here and tell me you’ve joined.
- Make a one-time donation to The Pediatric Cancer Foundation by visiting their donation page and using the Reading for Cure button to donate (donations can be of ANY amount – all donations are appreciated no matter the size); then come back here and tell me you did this.
- Make a donation to ANY organization which supports finding a cure for childhood cancer – then come back here and tell me you did this
- Post something on your blog about pediatric cancer awareness – in your post, give a link to my project Reading for a Cure and this giveaway. Then come back here and provide me a link to your post in the comments.
Thank you for helping to support children like Melinda Marchiano who are facing the daunting journey through cancer!