Mailbox Monday – October 11, 2010

Welcome to Mailbox Monday – hosted this month by Avis at She Reads and Reads.

Each week readers share the contents of their mailboxes and then link up in one place.

This week I only got one book – but it looks like a good one!

Other Press sent me a copy of The Witness House by Christiane Kohl (translated from the German by Anthea Bell). Due for release tomorrow, this non fiction book looks at the autumn of 1945 at the start of the Nuremberg trials, in which high ranking representatives of the Nazi government were called to account for their war crimes. Witnesses for the prosecution and the defense were housed together in a villa on the outskirts of town. In this so-called Witness House, perpetrators and victims confronted each other in a microcosm that reflected the events of the high court. In her book, Christiane Kohl focuses on the guilty, the sympathizers, the undecided, and those who always manage to make themselves fit in; and in so doing, reveals the social structures that allowed a cruel and unjust regime to flourish. Read an excerpt.

Christiane Kohl has worked as a correspondent to the Cologne Express, a press officer for the Environment Ministry in Hessen, and an editor with Der Spiegel. She worked for several years in Rome for Munich’s Süddeutsche Zeitung and is currently the newspaper’s correspondent for eastern Germany. Her book, Der Jude und Das Mädchen (2002), was the basis of Joseph Vilsmaier’s feature film Leo and Claire. She lives in Dresden.

Don’t be surprised if you don’t see a Mailbox Monday post for several weeks now – Kip is arriving in New Hampshire at the end of this week, and then we’ll be eventually heading back west again which means books that arrive in California won’t be cataloged until we get home!

What great books arrived at YOUR home this week?

1. I like the cover and the premise of the book.

2. This sounds really interesting.

• Kim V on October 11, 2010 at 04:15

The Witness House sounds fascinating. Enjoy!

• Mary on October 11, 2010 at 04:55

I love the cover for The Witness House – hope it’s a good read!

• zibilee on October 11, 2010 at 05:38

The Witness House sounds like a fabulous read and I will be interested in hearing what you think of it! I hope that you enjoy it!

3. The book looks like a fabulous read! Safe travels back home!
    Here’s my Mailbox: Coffee and a Book Chick — Mailbox Monday…

4. Wow, I am fascinated that these people all found themselves staying in the same place. I look forward to hearing all about the book once you’ve had a chance to read it. Hope your trip back home is uneventful!

• Nicola on October 11, 2010 at 12:57

Sounds fascinating!

5. Stopping by from She Reads and Reads’ post for Mailbox Monday.

Have a great week.

Stop by my blog if you like.

Enjoy your books.

• Holly on October 11, 2010 at 16:24

This one sounds terrific. Enjoy!!

• Mystica on October 12, 2010 at 00:50

I too like the storylines of this book. Enjoy the break.

• Alyce on October 12, 2010 at 08:08

I can’t believe they put them in the same house! I’ll have to take a closer look at this one, it might end up on my wish list, because it looks like one I would really like.

• Amy on October 12, 2010 at 13:39

Oh my, this sounds like a fascinating story and one that I think it’s great is being told. I wasn’t aware of The Witness House although it makes sense. I cannot imagine spending tim in that place, it must have been quite stressful. And human beings being what they are, it’s not really surprising that The Witness House showed on a small scale how the Nazi regime flourished.

It give me goose-bumps thinking about it. I hope you review this book!

Have a great week!
    ~ Amy

• RAnn on October 12, 2010 at 14:50

One to add to my tbr

• Lexi on October 12, 2010 at 17:46

Just wanted to let you know that I received Grace and have given it to Abby’s mom to pass along to her. Thanks again!!!

6. That does sound like a good one! I need a slow week like that.