Bumble Bee Lap Quilt

Here is my latest quilt which I made for my sister Donna. She recently remodeled an upstairs bedroom into a black, yellow and white craft room…and I thought these colors would be perfect for that room. It is a simple four-square pattern using Dab of Jazz (yellow and black colorways) by Gail Fountain (Maywood Studio).

The quilt is 43″ X 53″ in size and I free-motion quilted it with a large, free-form daisy in the center of each block, and a loopy pattern in the border which looks like the flight of a bumblebee. I don’t have a photo of the bottom right corner…but I also quilted a bumblebee in that corner!

I pieced the back and placed a smaller four square block in the center. The label is fussy cut to show one of the cute flowers from the black fabric.

The binding is also pieced using scraps of left over yellow fabric.

Donna came up this past weekend to New Hampshire to visit, so I was able to give her the quilt in person…and she loved it!

**All Photos are “clickable” to enjoy a larger view

• Katrina on October 22, 2010 at 02:39

It’s a really lovely quilt and it looks like your sister appreciates it and you. I had a go at quilting years ago but I was too ambitious and started with a complicated hand pieced design, so I still haven’t finished it. I might try something simpler in the future though.

• Molly on October 22, 2010 at 02:51

I love the bright simplicity of this quilt — I can’t help but smile.

I have just started reading the Elm Creek Quilt novel series and I find myself wanting to learn to quilt as well.

1. I love the bright colors – very pretty.

• JoAnn on October 22, 2010 at 03:24

Just beautiful, Wendy. A bit of sunshine is exactly what that quilt is!!

2. Who wouldn’t love that quilt? It’s gorgeous!!

• zibilee on October 22, 2010 at 05:46

Oh, I love this one! Yellow is my favorite color, and this quilt is just gorgeous!

• Anna on October 22, 2010 at 09:32

That’s absolutely gorgeous! Your sister is a lucky lady!

• J.G. on October 23, 2010 at 07:25

Oh my, this is bee-yoo-tiful! The colors are so crisp and modern, and such fun when contrasted with the idea of traditional handcrafts. Clearly a gift of art and love combined.

• Staci on October 23, 2010 at 10:46

Holy moly…I love those colors and this quilt is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!

• Mystica on October 24, 2010 at 05:07

I love this quilt design – I quilt too but am just an amateur. This looks an easy to follow pattern!

• Alyce on October 24, 2010 at 22:31

That is a lovely quilt! You must have put so much work into it!

• Allie on October 25, 2010 at 12:54

That is so gorgeous! I love the colors and prints you chose!

• Marian on October 27, 2010 at 15:36

Your quilt gift to your sister is lovely; I’m sure she feels very appreciated.

I fell in love with a black fabric with bright yellow and white birds on it, but once I got it home I thought, “Well, now what do I do with it?”

Your pictures gave me some good ideas. Thank you very much for posting them.

3. Oh Wow, that is Gorgeous!!! I LOVE quilts. That is really something to be treaured.

4. pardon moi – “treasured”

• Mom and Nana on October 31, 2010 at 15:02

We are enjoying Halloween right now! Trick or Treaters are fun to see!!! Love your latest posting about Paula. Nana liked seeing Donna’s quilt too. Dad is having a great day! Yay! Nana is taking the taxi home!

Hope you are having fun in Tennessee. TTYL

• Wendy on January 6, 2011 at 07:01

I am SO bad about responding to comments – and this fall I was really bad…so a belated THANK YOU to all who left comments on this post! I appreciate them all 🙂

• Hailey on August 26, 2012 at 21:16

Where can i find the pattern for this? I love it