Raven’s Big Adventure 2010

**Clicking on any photo in this post will allow you to enjoy a larger view.

Raven had a big adventure – she traveled from California to New Hampshire and then south and west again back to California … a total of nearly 8000 miles! It was her first big road trip and she handled it remarkably well for a 22 month old dog. There were some memorable moments for Raven that she wants to share with you!

Number of new scarfs acquired: 2 (Grammy Ward gave me the pretty flowered one, and I picked up one with a Southwest theme in Arizona)

One of the best parts of the trip was meeting the east coast relatives:

Grammy and Grampy Ward (Wendy’s mom and dad)

Nana (Wendy’s grandmother)

The Cousins – some of my favorite people in the world! (In this photo you can see me with Sam, Wendy’s niece, and her boyfriend Brendan)

I also made one new best friend – one of the absolutely BEST parts of the trip was spending an entire day with Annie (who is a little younger than me, but is totally awesome!). We ran and played and wrestled and wished the day never had to end:

I also got a chance to stretch my legs and run like a crazy puppy when Kip stopped at Lake Michigan and let me run on the beach at sunset. That’s the Chicago skyline behind me.

I am now a really well traveled puppy.

Number of National Parks I visited: 6 (Perryville Battlefield in Perryville, Kentucky; Lincoln’s Birthplace in Kentucky; Pecos National Historic Park in New Mexico; The Painted Desert and The Petrified Forest in New Mexico; and the Grand Canyon in Arizona)

We hiked in Perryville…and because no one was around, I  even got to run off leash a little (shhhhh, don’t tell!)

At Lincoln’s Birthplace I had to stay in the car while Wendy and Kip explored. I hated that and howled until they came back!

At Pecos National Historic Park we explored an old Spanish Mission – if only Wendy had let me off my leash I could have found some cool places to hide in!

At the Painted Desert Wendy and Kip oooohed and aaahed over the colors…I would have just liked to run through the desert, but they insisted I stay on a leash.

Lots of sticks in the Petrified Forest…but much to hard for me to chew on!

The Grand Canyon was HUGE! Wendy had a tight grip on my harness there – she was afraid I’d fall over the edge – silly, Mommy.

This is what I did when things got boring:

But, when we got to interesting places, I was ready to go! Some places were better than others.

The least dog-friendly city was Central City, Kentucky. Wendy and Kip had to go to three different hotels before they found one that liked dogs. Luckily, most of the hotels didn’t mind me staying there – and usually I got my own bed to sleep in.

Most dog-friendly State: New Mexico

Here I am enjoying Albuquerque:

The most dog-friendly city (or maybe I should say town) was Madrid, New Mexico where I was invited to browse in a store with priceless Native American pottery. Wendy turned down the opportunity – she said something like she didn’t have the money to pay for the damage. The store lady laughed, but I would have been careful. Promise.

I also got my kicks on Route 66 at the Continental Divide – it was pretty crazy there with all kinds of stuff everywhere – I thought this tent was kind of neat too.

We made lots of stops at other places too – most of the time just to give me a potty break or for Wendy and Kip to shop (how boring). Here is me in Maryland (at a rest stop) and in Richmond, Kentucky.

I had one big complaint about this trip…Wendy and Kip got to eat in lots of cool restaurants and I had to eat my regular dog food in the hotel.

But, all in all, I had a great time…although to be honest, I’m glad to be home now in my own backyard with all my favorite toys!

• Laura on November 14, 2010 at 11:40

Awwww !! I loved this.

• Carol B on November 14, 2010 at 12:09

Wendy that was awesome! What a trip that was! Great to see your dad, mom and nana, too in the pictures. I have always wanted to take a trip like that across country and see all those places – very cool. Thanks for sharing.

1. Adorable post and it sounds like you guys had a great time!

2. oh my gosh was this cute!!! And Raven is so photogenic!

• Lori L on November 14, 2010 at 13:46

I love this post and all the pictures! It’s always interesting when traveling with dogs to see where places are dog friendly, isn’t it?

• Wendy on November 14, 2010 at 14:01

Laura: *smiles*

Carol: Glad you enjoyed all the photos – it was awesome…and fun 🙂 Hope we’ll see you guys SOON!

Swapna: we did 🙂

Amy: Raven says “thank you” 🙂

Lori: We were lucky that most places we went were welcome for dogs…only a couple of “issues” about allowing dogs, but given that Raven traveled nearly 8000 miles, that wasn’t too bad!

• Mom and Dad on November 14, 2010 at 17:22

Loved Raven’s Blog!!! Very cleverly done! Enjoyed your trip fro a dog’s perspective! She photographs well….you guys too! Will forward to all our friends!

• Donna on November 14, 2010 at 17:41

omg! Loved this post! Read most of it to Mae and we both laughed – esp. loved the one about the “store browsing”. After the way Raven greeted us in the morning, I can’t imagine why you’d be hesitant!!!

• zibilee on November 14, 2010 at 18:03

Raven is such a beautiful dog, and I am so glad that she had such an amazing adventure! Thanks for sharing these photos!

• Wendy on November 14, 2010 at 18:09

Mom and Dad: Glad you enjoyed Raven’s post 🙂

Donna: LOL – the store lady was TOTALLY serious about letting Raven into the store…OMG, just the thought of it scared the crap out of me!!! I didn’t realize until I downloaded all my photos that I had neglected to get photos of Raven with the kids…I can’t believe I spaced on that…the only one I had was with Sam and Brendon!!!

Zibilee: Raven thanks you for the compliment!

• Molly on November 14, 2010 at 18:26

Wendy — what a great, great post!! I loved viewing the trip across country through Raven’s eyes 🙂

3. Wow, that is a great adventure, Raven! Reaven’s traveled more than a lot of people. One time when we moved, I traveled with Vance and Milou and had a terrible time finding a hotel that would let Milou stay, even after I explained that we were in the process of moving, so you did great to find so many along the way.

4. Thank You Raven for sharing your trip – Hunter the Beagle is very jealous

• Paula on November 15, 2010 at 04:15

LOVED reading about the trip from Raven’s point of view! She certainly lived in the lap of luxury in the hotels….so I don’t know why she complained about the food! So happy all of you had a wonderful adventure.

• Wendy on November 15, 2010 at 12:37

Molly: Glad you enjoyed traveling with Raven 🙂

Kathy: Actually, some motels/hotels are very dog friendly (Motel 6 accepts dogs at every one of their businesses, and Econo Lodges are also dog friendly). We picked up a book showing us where all the Motel 6’s were in the country, and also had one for Econo Lodges (and their affiliates) which helped a lot. The problem we encountered in Kentucky was that the the town we stayed in had neither of those businesses!!!

Sally: Raven says that perhaps Hunter could come next time (ha ha!)

Paula: LOL – she went on a bit of a hunger strike and lost 3 pounds during the trip. Since she’s been home she has been pigging out – go figure!

5. What an incredible adventure! The pictures are priceless!

• J.G. on November 16, 2010 at 05:22

Raven looks like a great traveling companion. Love the way she plays hard and sleeps hard — never halfway.

6. What a great travelogue! I loved seeing all the pictures and hearing all about Raven’s fun-filled trip. Isn’t it fun to watch two dogs run and wrestle together? There’s a dog in our neighborhood that winds up at the park when we walk Annie in the evening and the two of them have such fun chasing each other around the park. It makes my heart sing to see Annie having so much fun. We’ve never run into anyone else with a dog like Pal. Must be true love. 🙂

• Tui on November 18, 2010 at 06:43

Raven is so beautiful now, all grown up, sleek and elegant. I just loved this and kept saying awwww out loud at every pic. This was a terrific way to capture the trip, Wendy. I especially loved the pics of the two dogs connecting, with their haunches all tucked under, running flat out.
    xo

7. World’s cutest post! I love the picture of Annie looking back at Raven. And how funny to read this with those pictures of the huge dog with those large ears, get to the bottom and see the ‘Introducing Raven’ clip at the bottom with a tiny, fuzzy pup in it. So glad you had fun!

8. What a fantastic post, Wendy, and gorgeous pics! I hope I get to meet Raven one of these days!