Quilting: Works in Progress

*Click on any photo in this post to enjoy a larger view.

I haven’t given you an update on my quilting lately – but I have been doing a lot of it, just not finishing anything! Last Friday I went to a quilt class to learn how to make a “woven ribbons” quilt.  It was a new type of construction for me where one must first sew together two inch strips of fabric (making ten sets of 5 strips), then cutting those stratas into 1.5 inch strips…its complicated, but what happens at the end is the quilter has lots of these 1.5 inch strips and puts them together to make a specific pattern. Here is what I’ve accomplished so far:

I’m using raspberry and chocolate hued fabric in light, medium and dark colorways which will give the effect of ribbons woven together.

I have also been working to finish a King sized quilt which I started way back in 2009. I had it quilted for me by a professional quilter, and now all that needs doing is the binding which I am hand stitching. I’ve gotten half way around:

Finally, I am working very hard to complete a special quilt – I don’t want to tell you too much about this one because it is a gift.  The photos aren’t being true to the colors – the greens are much softer and the pinks not as bright as they are showing here…I’ll post about this one more when I’m done with it:

• Paula on January 26, 2011 at 18:05

Wow, these look wonderful! I especially love the “ribbons” quilt – the colors you are using are soooo beautiful! Can’t wait to see the whole king size quilt and the special one you are in the middle of is adorable! Keep on sewing! Love you sis!

• Amused on January 26, 2011 at 20:24

These are so beautiful! I dabbled in quilting for a bit but nothing like this. You make me want to do it again!

• Wendy on January 27, 2011 at 07:59

Paula: Thank you, dear sister 🙂

Amused: Go for it!! It is so much fun!

• zibilee on January 27, 2011 at 08:21

Your quilts are so beautiful, and every time I see one, I am amazed at the craftsmanship and awesomeness of them. Way to go! You are doing an amazing job!

• Wallace on January 27, 2011 at 10:44

So pretty! I want to learn how to quilt so much. I think it’s a wonderful way to make a very useful keepsake. I am just learning how to sew now, and my mom bought me a machine for my birthday this month, so I am very excited! I’ve made a bag and a dress. When I have some more of the basics, I’m going to take a quilting class at my favorite store.

Enjoy your crafting and thanks for sharing!

• Kailana on January 27, 2011 at 15:30

Very nice! Quilting is one crafty thing that I actually do like, but never seem to actually do… Not since I was little anyway!

• Staci on January 27, 2011 at 18:17

These are beautiful and I love your colors!

• Molly on January 29, 2011 at 07:19

I always love when you share your quilting projects — they are so beautiful!

Some day I hope to try my hand at quilting. I know I will love the textured fabrics and the idea of color science – but my fear is that I will become too frustrated with my limited sewing skills.

• Wendy on January 30, 2011 at 16:40

Heather: Thank you!

Wallace: Oh, do take a class – I promise you will love it 🙂 I need to learn how to sew things like bags and dresses…perhaps a class for me on that is in order!

Kailana: Well it takes some time…but I find it relaxing.

Staci: Thank you so much!

Molly: I had not a speck of sewing experience when I started quilting – I think you will find that making a quilt (depending on the pattern) can be quite “forgiving”…no need for perfection at all! I hope you’ll try your hand at it some day 🙂