Queen Sized Quilt – Finally done!

*Clicking on any photo in this post will allow you to enjoy a larger view

Way back in the summer of 2009 I bought the fabric for this quilt – some beautiful Anna Griffin fabric that inspired me to make a huge quilt for our bed. I had never made a quilt before! So here we are in February 2011 and I am finally finished with this project.

The quilt measures 92″ X 92″.  I had it professionally quilted by June Broughton of Redding, California. Here is a close up of the quilting pattern:

As with all my quilts, I did a pieced back so that when the top is folded down, the back is revealed. I used a wool batting which makes this light weight, but very warm. I hand stitched the binding myself (which was quite a chore).

I learned something important making this quilt: Never let anyone tell you that you cannot do something. When I bought the fabric and shared my excitement with a store clerk, she said “This is your first quilt? Don’t you want to be successful?” Had I listened to her, I would never have attempted stitching this, much less finish it. But quilting is not all that hard – it takes patience and persistence…but in the end, you have something beautiful to show for your long hours of stitching!

1. I’m glad you persevered, Wendy, because that quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I’ve been lucky enough to be the recipient of quilts that both of my grandmothers have made and they are treasured keepsakes. I really hope I can take quilting up some day as well.

2. This is gorgeous! Great job and I envy your talent and patience for something like this. I had to make ONE quilt square once in my life and I grumbled through every moment of it and wondered why I had agreed to it. 😉 I love handmade quilts so much though.

• Elysabeth on February 6, 2011 at 18:29

Love it! I’m in a wedding this year with these colors. So pretty!!

• Kay on February 6, 2011 at 18:35

Wendy, this quilt is lovely and I’m sure you will enjoy it for years to come. I’m always so glad when you share your quilts with us.

3. It’s gorgeous!!

• zibilee on February 6, 2011 at 18:50

I love the colors, and shame on that store clerk for putting doubt in your head! You did a great job on this one!

• Amused on February 6, 2011 at 20:24

So worth it!

• carolyn on February 6, 2011 at 20:29

Beautiful job, — congratulations. I really love the color combination, especially the blue — just the right shade that “pops” without being garish. I’m glad you didn’t listen to that store person (what a jerk).

• Tui on February 6, 2011 at 20:52

I’ve never understood why people have to be so negative about things. Anyway, you did one heckuva job for a first quilt. Now how will you care for a quilt with wool batting in it? Dry clean? Cold water and line dry? Love that idea of putting the material behind the back for it to show when it folds down.

• Kim on February 6, 2011 at 20:56

Oh my! That is simply lovely. Well done you. That is truly something to be proud of.
    *smiles*

• Wendy on February 6, 2011 at 21:09

Michelle: Thank you…I’m glad I persevered too. There is nothing like a homemade quilt, in my opinion!!

Cat: LOL – well, I guess it is not for everyone! I love the detail and creative part of the endeavor!

Elysabeth: Oooooh, nice wedding colors! Thank you 🙂

Kay: Thanks – I’m glad you enjoy them because I enjoy sharing them!

Kathy: Thank you!

Heather: Thanks – what that clerk doesn’t know about me is that when someone tells me I can’t do something, it makes me want to do it more 🙂

• Wendy on February 6, 2011 at 21:11

Amused: I agree!

Carolyn: Thank you 🙂 I love the blue in this too 🙂

Tui: I have no idea why there are those out there that are just naysayers! The wool batting is completely washable and dryable. I threw this in the washer with cold water and dried it in the dryer…it came out wonderfully 🙂 Amazing, huh? Glad you like the back – I love doing that!

Kim: Thank you so much!

• Molly on February 7, 2011 at 03:09

That is simply exquisite, Wendy! I love the colors and the design. Congratulations on a job well done.

I actually visited my first quilt store yesterday with a friend who recently started quilting last Easter. The store had a super bowl sale: 25 fat quarters for $25. I couldn’t pass it up. I hope to play around and experiment with these inexpensive fabric pieces and then perhaps try my hand at a doll’s quilt — a plenty big enough project for me.

Do you have any quilting tips for a novice?

• Melanie on February 7, 2011 at 06:22

It’s beautiful! Congratulations on finishing it.

4. What a beautiful, tangible object of time well spent. Congratulations, Wendy!

• Kailana on February 7, 2011 at 09:54

That’s really great, Wendy! I love quilts. 🙂

• Lori L on February 7, 2011 at 10:07

I LOVE this quilt – it’s simply beautiful!

• Anna on February 7, 2011 at 10:15

That’s so beautiful! You did a wonderful job!

• Mom on February 7, 2011 at 20:13

Wendy, this is gorgeous! I love the color combinations and patterns. The pale blue squares look like they have a stitched pattern with the same color thread. Do they? I also loved the quilted stitching! You will love this forever!!!! What’s next?!

• Mom on February 7, 2011 at 20:16

PS I agree with your comments on the email I sent!

• Shelley on February 8, 2011 at 08:05

Beautiful work. I have some episodes on “piecing” and quilting and an older quilter named Mrs. Mack. I’d also recommend the beautiful Alice Walker story on African-American quilts, “Everyday Use.”

• Andi on February 9, 2011 at 09:18

That’s beautiful! I just love it.

• Wendy on February 9, 2011 at 09:42

Molly: Thanks! I have lots of tips for first timers 🙂 First of all, make sure you invest in a rotary cutter and good cutting mat – it is important to be exact with your cuts! Secondly, 1/4″ seam allowances are important so that the seams of your block will line up when you start piecing them together…there are some great sewing machine “feet” which have a cheater piece on them so that you can sew a straight 1/4″ seam – you should use a scrap and stitch a line, then measure the seam from the edge to be sure your needle is in the correct position…then stitch away!!! Lastly, pressing your seams to one side (rather than open) will make your seams stronger. Pressing is different than ironing – you want to be careful that you simple press down, then lift and move the iron because fabric stretches. If you take your time and press each seam before piecing blocks together, they will fit nice and smooth together. Good luck – hope you’ll share your efforts!!

• Wendy on February 9, 2011 at 09:44

Melanie: Thank you!

Lydia: Thanks!

Kailana: I do too! Thank you!

Lori: Aw, thanks 🙂

Anna: Glad you like it 🙂

Mom: The blue fabric has a design within it as part of the fabric. I have a lot of “nexts” on my plate!!! You’ll have to wait and see 🙂

Shelly: thanks for the recommendations.

Andi: Thank you 🙂

5. Absolutely gorgeous and good for you for trying something you hadn’t done before. My grandmother was a big quilter so I know the work that went into this. Your results are outstanding!

6. Wow, Wendy, this quilt is gorgeous! I’m glad you didn’t listen to that store clerk too! What does it mean when you say you “had it professionally quilted” by someone else?

• Trish on February 13, 2011 at 13:22

Wendy–it’s beautiful! I’m very very curious how you did the quilting–did you do it on your machine (in which case is it just a regular machine) or did you take it somewhere to have it quilted? I really want to do some free motion quilting with my current project but am scared!!

Love how you’ve incorporated the front onto the back–I’d like to do this more with my quilts as well. And I have to admit I kind of like the process of binding by hand. 😉 It’s strangely relaxing! Perhaps maybe because it forces me to slow down for once.

• Wendy on February 14, 2011 at 11:00

Kathleen: Thank you so much for the kind words!

Avis: On these huge quilts, I don’t feel competent to quilt them myself…so once they are pieced and “sandwiched” (ie: put batting between the top and the bottom), I take them to a professional quilter who has a huge long-arm quilting machine. She puts the quilt on her machine and quilts it to my specifications. Then I bring it home and bind it myself. It costs a little bit more to do this, but I like the results. I’ve found a woman who is quite experienced and is reasonable in pricing in a little town near me.

Trish: See my comment above to Avis re: the quilting. I don’t have the skills (or confidence to quilt this huge quilts on my own). BUT, I do my own quilting on my machine when I have quilts which are lap quilts size or baby quilts (and I probably could handle a double bed size now). I sometimes just do straight line quilting, but I took a class for free motion and finally got up my courage to free motion a couple of quilts…it is scary at first, but then it gets fun! I had to screw up all my courage and just jump in (you can see my first effort here). I agree with you re: binding by hand – it is a nice relaxing thing for me to do, too!